SIGGRAPH 2011

One of the coolest things I saw was the "trillion fps" camera. Basically, it's fast enough that you can watch light propagate through a scene (2ps "shutter" time). Pretty neat but I don't imagine too many practical uses.

Just for clarification, it was the 'equivalent' of a trillion fps, i.e. lots of regular high speed videos composited with very accurate timing. IIRC he said they'd need > 500 laser pulses per video but they actually used millions.

It was very cool though watching things like subsurface scattering in fruit leaving glows after the light pulse had left the object. There's something very strange about watching light 'ripple' around a scene and there being a lag/delay between a pulse travelling by and moments later it's glow reaching the objects around it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O553MaRBXNw
(The videos at the conference were much better than that but can't find a link).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone got any info on Intel's sound rendering demo (e.g, 3D positional audio) using opencl ?
Now that the dedicated soundcard looks to be dying, gpu accelerate environmental audio (especially wave tracing) looks to be its best hope

Now that the dedicated soundcard looks to be dying, gpu accelerate environmental audio (especially wave tracing) looks to be its best hope
Why would Intel want to use the GPU for that? Sandy Bridge's CPU cores have nearly twice the processing power of the IGP. And with Haswell's AVX2 support they'll even have gather and fused multiply-add instructions.

well to wavetrace you need at least 2 things, the level geometry and that would be on the gpu
also surface properties of objects im not a level designer but i would assume the best place to retrieve material properties would be either from the texture or from the pixel shader
plus do all of intel's latest cpu's have gfx cores (dont know)

Okay, how the hell can I view these .xml files? PPT viewer can't seem to open it and I don't have and won't buy MS Office...

Don't worry, it's a bunch of weaksauce post-process AA stuff anyway. Give me subsampling or give me death.

Okay, how the hell can I view these .xml files? PPT viewer can't seem to open it and I don't have and won't buy MS Office...
I'm still trying to download just one of the presentations (their server must be a little overloaded at the moment), so I can't test this, but I used to find that OpenOffice handled some of the newer file formats.

So just download PDF ones.

I'm still trying to download just one of the presentations (their server must be a little overloaded at the moment), so I can't test this, but I used to find that OpenOffice handled some of the newer file formats.

I dont havent any problems with their website so i reuploaded all talks [in PDF and PPT] on megaupload.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LW8RP5N8

It's pptx, the newer offices' compressed format. With Office 2007 running on my work machine, I can view the pptx files perfectly fine.

I'm in a process of converting PPT files to PDF and i'll upload them to megaupload soon. I'll just update this post, when it'll be finished.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A4SZ71NG

Sorry for shareware overlay, but i just cant find write converter and i tested about 6-7 ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back