Should we be afraid?

This black hole is really far away, which makes it for the most part irrelevant. Even an ultra-massive black hole is benign until you get very close (in interstellar terms).

If it were close enough that the sun's changing in size would cause it to act, we'd be gone already.

I've read that stars were being born around the black hole and older ones were being sucked in.

Would it be possible that the sun will supernova into the black hole?

K.I.L.E.R said:
I've read that stars were being born around the black hole and older ones were being sucked in.

Would it be possible that the sun will supernova into the black hole?
Our sun is far too small to go into a supernova. When a massive star (much more massive than the sun) consumes all its hydrogen, it will then start to fuse helium. However, there's a lot less helium than the original hydrogen so it can't burn the helium very long. The energy output of fusing helium is much higher than fusing hydrogen/deuterium so the star will expand into a red (super)giant. Once the helium is consumed there's no pressure to sustain the mass of the star so it begins to collapse. When the mass collides at the center of the star it goes supernova. The amount of mass remaining at the center after the supernova dictates what will happen: If the amount is greater than 1.5 solar masses (i.e. 1.5x the mass of our sun) then it will form a black hole. If it's less than 1.5 solar masses but greater than some threshold, it will form a neutron star and if it's less than that threshold it will turn into a white dwarf.

Big stars are much more exciting than small stars like our sun :)

By the way, when our sun expands into a red giant, it's mass will stay the same so there won't be any greater attraction between our sun and any nearby star or black holes. However, the Earth would be fried by the extra radiation from the sun so we'd better find a way off this planet within the next few billion years :D

Thanks.
Makes sense.

I'm going to have to read some more books. I forgotten everything I once knew, not only the things in astronomy.
Today I learnt that I forgot how to factorise. YAY!

K.I.L.E.R said:
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=161264520&p=y6yz65zz6

I believe that because of this black hole, when our sun grows big enough to star threatening Earth, this black hole will suck it up and give us a new one.
This is actually old news. They found out a few years back that every galaxy has a super massive black hole at it's centre. Most of them that we can see are dormant, but some are still actively "feeding" and can be seen through astronomy. It explains why so much of the mass of a galaxy appears to be "missing" - it's there in the form of a massive black hole we usually can't see. It's quite amazing as a supermassive black hole seems to be necessary for galaxy formation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back