Shinichi Okamoto Interview from Famitsu via Gamepro

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybamerc

Veteran
Saw this posted at GA.

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/famitsu/hardware/news/33068.shtml

Posted: 01/26/04
Famitsu recently interviewed tech consultant and former PlayStation and PlayStation 2 CTO Nobuichi Okamoto on the next generation PlayStation. Okamoto is currently producing middleware software for games and mobile phones, and is also involved in the production of the Cell OS, which will run the PlayStation 3.
Here are excerpts from the interview:

Q: Mr. Okamoto, we understand that you are involved in the production of the Cell OS, which is expected to be used in the successor to the PlayStation 2. Being at the forefront of the latest technology, what do you expect from the next-generation hardware?

A: Yes, I am currently under contract with SCE for the production of the Cell OS, and am involved with the project even now. I am not at liberty to say anything regarding the successor for the PlayStation 2. However, speaking about next-generation consoles in general, I can say without a doubt that how networks are used will change.

Q: How will the use of networks change?

A: I think that the use of networks as a platform for games and as a platform for communication will be integrated. Currently, online games are identified as a single genre. I think that this will change so that any game will have online capabilities. As saving data on memory cards has become an industry norm, being able to communicate with somebody playing the same game will become the norm as well.

Q: With networks becoming the norm, how do you think that will change the way games are played?

A: Not only will people use keyboards and controllers, but people will also use cameras and microphones and communicate like videophones. As with the "Minna no Golf Online" (Hot Shots Golf Online), every game will have a virtual area to match up games. I feel that there will be virtual worlds that act as arcades, where you can freely go in and out of different areas.

Q: Is the technology available to realize such visions?

A: The Cell OS, which is in production now, is made to use such capabilities with ease. But with the network, we are still brainstorming on its application.

Q: How long will it be until we see hardware using the Cell chip?

A: Development of the Cell started in spring of 2001 as a 5-year project. Hence the project will end in spring of 2006. Although it is not known whether or not game consoles will be sold immediately, we can expect products using the Cell chip to start emerging around that time.

Q: Will 2004 be the year that next generation consoles are announced?

A: From my experience, to produce games on new hardware it takes at least a year to research the hardware and to start planning for software titles. If at this time the software production environment is not ready, I think it will be difficult to announce new hardware this year. Or maybe a developer somewhere has already started research [on the next-gen consoles]... (laughs)

Q: Lastly, how do you think the game industry will change?

A: Domestic sales have dropped in the past two years. But this is a time where everyone's waiting for the next-generation hardware. When new hardware and new ideas are announced, it'll be sure to change the climate of the game industry.

A: Development of the Cell started in spring of 2001 as a 5-year project. Hence the project will end in spring of 2006. Although it is not known whether or not game consoles will be sold immediately, we can expect products using the Cell chip to start emerging around that time.

hhmm not much to see here, but I'd like to point out that this makes it seem like Sony are pushing for an Even *later* release??

PS3 2007??? sounds like an oppotunity for the competition to sweep in and pick up the pieces.

hhmm not much to see here, but I'd like to point out that this makes it seem like Sony are pushing for an Even *later* release??

PS3 2007??? sounds like an oppotunity for the competition to sweep in and pick up the pieces.

They aren't targetting a 2007 release.. Not with the XDR going into production starting later this year, and Broadband Engine in mass production by mid 2005.(BE is the offshoot of "Cell")

You can expect a late 2005 - March 2006 Window for PS3 to be released in all areas.

Paul:

> You can expect a late 2005 - March 2006 Window for PS3 to be
> released in all areas.

A 2005 release is looking increasingly unlikely. Okamoto practically confirms it's not going to happen.

A 2005 release is looking increasingly unlikely. Okamoto practically confirms it's not going to happen.

While other Sony execs(and official slides) say otherwise? Not to mention, the times in which the hardware goes into mass production(XDR late 2004, BE's mid 2005).

Maybe we should just wait, however there is more evidence to support some type of 2005 launch than to go against it. But with conflicting evidence, let's just wait.

Development of the Cell started in spring of 2001 as a 5-year project. Hence the project will end in spring of 2006.

Kahle says otherwise. Hell even Sony in July said that we will see Cell in devices 2005, but they could not exclude 2004.

london-boy said:
But this is a time where everyone's waiting for the next-generation hardware.

:oops: Wouldn't hold my breath for 2 years...... I'm bored i want some new hardware now. NOW!! :D
I don't understand you at all ! The best games each system has is coming out now or in the very near future. As an XBox owner I can tell you that I'm in no rush for the next gen :?

Since we have begin speculating now, I repeat, earliest possible is Dec 2005 for NTSC/J PS3(IF underwhelming PSP sales and threat from Xbox2).
Normally it be 2006 NTSC/J PS3 and late 2006 NTSC/UC PS3 and 2007 PAL PS3.

Not to mention, the times in which the hardware goes into mass production(XDR late 2004, BE's mid 2005).
Hi, any idea what is meant by "mass production" in industry terms? I hear this word being thrown around every time, could it be any other meanings to go along too? Any industry experts comment?

however there is more evidence to support some type of 2005 launch than to go against it.

Kahle says otherwise. Hell even Sony in July said that we will see Cell in devices 2005,
Hi, Okomoto is a big shot at SCE, who has gotten down and dirty with hardware/software, i think his words are strong, unless he is just throwing rivals off guard. :)

Hi, any idea what is meant by "mass production" in industry terms? I hear this word being thrown around every time, could it be any other meanings to go along too? Any industry experts comment?

When Sony or Toshiba says "Mass production" they are talking about production with good yields, not risk production, this would take place earlier. When you enter Mass production, you can have enough chips for launch in a few months. Especially with both Toshiba and Sony fabs cranking out IC.

Since we have begin speculating now, I repeat, earliest possible is Dec 2005 for NTSC/J PS3(IF underwhelming PSP sales and threat from Xbox2).
Normally it be 2006 NTSC/J PS3 and late 2006 NTSC/UC PS3 and 2007 PAL PS3.

No dude. You just don't know how it works, when the hardware is ready, Sony launches, end of story. If you don't, you blow any hardware type advantage you have, infact Vince has the actual numbers on the type of losses you take from waiting a month, 6 months, a year.

Hi, Okomoto is a big shot at SCE, who has gotten down and dirty with hardware/software, i think his words are strong, unless he is just throwing rivals off guard.

Okamoto was/is nothing but a reporter, hence he talks at GDC, e3 or any other show about Sony's R&D progresses, he also will announce specs or whatever.

Are you under some type of realization that the PS3 launch date is a mystery? That Sony is playing a gigantic guessing game?("Hmm.. we could launch in..."), Sony has known the release window(Within 3 months) of the PS3 since the Cell project began, it doesn't change, they know the launch window they need to hit in order for their relative IC to stay competitive in the market in the face of their competitors. This doesn't change, either they hit it or not.

Before I would hang a word on these very vauge comments by Okamoto I would look to better evidence, the hardware, past comments by higher ups on the Cell food chain(Kahle, Manabe, GDC slides, Sony Interviews, past articles).

When you enter Mass production, you can have enough chips for launch in a few months. Especially with both Toshiba and Sony fabs cranking out IC.
Hi, when is the m.p(mass production) starting? how much IC will be produce with the m.p thing? By m.p be meaning all the hardware and software is fully ready? does it include assembly and packaging and what not? I sooo noobie to such things. Any industry experts comment on what possible scenario is a m.p? ThanX.

Okamoto was/is nothing but a reporter, hence he talks at GDC, e3 or any other show about Sony's R&D progresses, he also will announce specs or whatever
Hi, based on what qualification do you have to dismiss Okamoto involvement as nothing but a reporter?
He was former PS1/2 CTO(chief technology officer?) and now contracted to do the Cell OS. Sounds big to me. MayB it is just me, but i need more qualified real proof of his "just a reporter" status. MayB your friend Tokyo! can help(oh, it wasnt me in case you need to know)? :)

past comments by higher ups on the Cell food chain(Kahle, Manabe, GDC slides, Sony Interviews, past articles).
Hi, do you archive the links? I like to read them. ThanX

Hi, when is the m.p(mass production) starting? how much IC will be produce with the m.p thing? By m.p be meaning all the hardware and software is fully ready? does it include assembly and packaging and what not? I sooo noobie to such things. Any industry experts comment on what possible scenario is a m.p? ThanX.

Toshiba and Sony plants will enter mass production around mid 2005. Using new 300mm wafers.

By comparason, PS2 only had one fab to produce IC, and they had enough chips in a matter of months once mass production commenced.

Hi, based on what qualification do you have to dismiss Okamoto involvement as nothing but a reporter?

Because that's all he is, he researches ideas for SCE and then will present his findings to Kutaragi, or maybe Kutaragi will give him topics to research and then he will report to Kutaragi. He will then present progress of SCE(as seen at gdc2002) to the public at events.

Okamoto does not work on hardware.. the news that he is working on the Cell OS is interesting, it's good that he's not gone from SCE completely.

Hi, do you archive the links? I like to read them. ThanX

It would take me 2 hours to get everything, but here's a hint. This console forum has the most information on Playstation 3 you can find anywhere on the internet. Search previous pages.

Sorry, but i am still not one bit convinced of "Reporter" Okamoto. Even by what you say, his research into hardware is ALREADY working on the hardware. MayB archie4oz can tell us more about Mr Okamoto.

What words should i search for? I hate forum searches. They give too much at times while not giving enough options to do the search. :)

Paul said:
It would take me 2 hours to get everything, but here's a hint. This console forum has the most information on Playstation 3 you can find anywhere on the internet. Search previous pages.

Yeah... If u put it like that you'd think we would have anything that's actually useful... Instead all we have is a load of "I think it will be...." or "I think this PR guy is actually saying that..."... Oh, and patents... :|

You know what i mean...

As Fafalada said, we know more about Xbox2 than we know about PS3. And that's saying something...

Sorry, but i am still not one bit convinced of "Reporter" Okamoto.

You don't have to be, when I say "reporter" Chap, it's not literal, not like he is talking on SonyTV with a mic. But he doesn't work on hardware in fabs.. He along with Kutaragi research technologies, find out if ideas will work, think about upcoming technology, etc.

I guess the concept of "many layers of management" and "different departments" in corporations is a bit difficult to grasp for some people. I work in a medical assistance company.
My CEO knows very little about medical procedures and treatments, however he knows very much what "economy" means, and he's the one going around the world promoting us to lure in more clients.
Same thing for pretty much any other corporation.
Does that help, chap?

Paul said:
But he doesn't work on hardware in fabs..
I think it is safe to say Okamoto aint one of these guys :LOL:
06_rgb.jpg

Think that show how high up this guy is. So i think its unfair for you to dismiss what he said OR distancing him off the Cell project as you seem to have always putted.

london-boy said:
I guess the concept of "many layers of management" and "different departments" in corporations is a bit difficult to grasp for some people. I work in a medical assistance company.
My CEO knows very little about medical procedures and treatments, however he knows very much what "economy" means, and he's the one going around the world promoting us to lure in more clients.
Same thing for pretty much any other corporation.
Does that help, chap?

Hi, the problem is neither of us really know just what Mr Okamoto does. But i have seen Mr Paul always painting a picture(to me) that Okamoto is more of a runner, a message boy, someone who zips around filing patent, passing on messages, giving presentations, playing annoucner, someone who is not really involved in the tech work. Only just this topic he be mentioning Okamoto does researching, yet at the same time he be saying Okamoto not work with hardware?

I am really confused, SO i be asking just where did Paul get to know Okamoto exact appointment and job scope in SCEI? Is that what CTOs do in tech companies :?: :? :?:

Only just this topic he be mentioning Okamoto does researching, yet at the same time he be saying Okamoto not work with hardware?

1. Okamoto doesn't work in fabs on chips.

2. He does not do work like the 300 engineers under Kahle in Austin did, that created the Cell architecture.

His work is different.[/code]

Doesnt really matter, cant ship the hardware without the software ... they all need to be working to the same timetables.

If he is working on the OS for a 2006 ship date and the hardware will be shippable before then something is horribly horribly wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back