ionAXXIA - classic top down design-your-own-ship space shooter. [Steam, Android, XBox, Win 10]

I did not notice much of a difference between ships, I confess to only just working out how to change them, I also find hitting enemies hard, I think different ships should have different range.

The scaffolding ship is different as it turns about an off axis, I quite like that differentiator.

I can fly quite happily but due to range I struggle to be effective against multiple enemies which is more gameplay than control. I can easily aim and shoot when drifting but when doing that you are unable to avoid enemy fire. Instead of the power 2 boost a temp shield might be good

I need to try the non advanced controls but the advanced controls so far have been very easy (after the patch) and it is intuitive.

I did not notice much of a difference between ships, I confess to only just working out how to change them, I also find hitting enemies hard, I think different ships should have different range.p
The different ships designs are just size, slight speed and health variance, and weapon arrangement. The individual components change weapons which affect range. Try changing the Primary to missiles.

The scaffolding ship is different as it turns about an off axis, I quite like that differentiator.
Yeah, he's an example of my asymmetric loadouts. Different shaped ships will have different influence over weapons (more spread out or focussed).

I can fly quite happily but due to range I struggle to be effective against multiple enemies which is more gameplay than control. I can easily aim and shoot when drifting but when doing that you are unable to avoid enemy fire. Instead of the power 2 boost a temp shield might be good
There is a shield! In the ship designer you've got three of each component. Secondary options are speed boost, gravity well, and shield. I'll upload a video showing touch-screen gameplay with different ship designs.

View the trailer at 47 seconds for the ship designer

I need to try the non advanced controls but the advanced controls so far have been very easy (after the patch) and it is intuitive.
Very pleased to hear that! :D

Last edited:
Just read your reply as I was writing this so in part ignore as I see it addressed above but as I wrote it I might as well post it. ;)

Just had a quick break and a tinker, the other engines I find hard, the instant stop is very strange after assuming constant drift. It is possibly a good fit for the touch to move to a location control method tho but I still need to test thoes.

Perhaps different missions benefit more from each control style?

Have you considered different weapons, larger range and possibly more damaging weapons, possibly these could have an opposite force affect on your craft whilst drifting, so you could manover backwards mid combat?

I think energy is used very quickly and feel you are under resources for multiple foes so I spend too much time running. Though the default engines make this quite entertaining.

Shields, is there a mechanism to regain? I assume the cubes but have yet to collect any and take notice of the affect.

Just had a quick break and a tinker, the other engines I find hard, the instant stop is very strange after assuming constant drift.
this engine is based off the Arilou from Star Control. Use this engine and the laser beam and enable AutoShoot, you can buzz up to enemies, stay away from their firing line, and laser them to death.

I think energy is used very quickly and feel you are under resources for multiple foes so I spend too much time running. Though the default engines make this quite entertaining.
That's where the choice of generator comes in. Other generators have a larger capacity so you can retreat, recharge, and then attack. The default generator has the fastest recharge.

I clearly need to create an actual gameplay tutorial!

Shields, is there a mechanism to regain? I assume the cubes but have yet to collect any and take notice of the affect.
Red cubes are health, blue are energy. As Goonergaz says, they're too tricky to collect at the moment.

The issue with installer security is one of those wonderful problems that plague computing. Apparently older version of Unity don't have this problem because the package was signed or something. A suggestion was replacing the custom icon with a default icon. I've just tried this and replaced the .zip. Tried it on the SP4 and there's no security warning, but it also has the original custom icon of the previous version. Would like to know if anyone unzipping has Win 10 security problem and what icon you have.

Yes. Yes I did.

I might add a food-type level, similar to Whimseydale in Diablo 3. That seems very fitting for a mobile game.

As for technicalities, I'm very pleased with my engine. I can create a new ship in a day or two depending on how limiting my art skills are. Which actualy creates a development conundrum - do I spend the next two months promoting and trying to get a Kickstarter for a bit of cash to pay for artists, and then work on a finished product, or do I create a finished product and then try to grow it without the Kickstarter?

Just take a photo of a pizza slice. :3 (pizza skin pack of various toppings!) They could be a business expense.

And potato asteroids, because Star Wars or something.

:p

Yes. Yes I did.

I might add a food-type level, similar to Whimseydale in Diablo 3. That seems very fitting for a mobile game.

As for technicalities, I'm very pleased with my engine. I can create a new ship in a day or two depending on how limiting my art skills are. Which actualy creates a development conundrum - do I spend the next two months promoting and trying to get a Kickstarter for a bit of cash to pay for artists, and then work on a finished product, or do I create a finished product and then try to grow it without the Kickstarter?

Create a releaseable product, kickstart it with only promises of it current state, release it and then use kickstarter funds to pimp it out using updates.

Basically under-promise and then over-deliver.

I'll definitely help out with testing but I'm limited to iOS right now.

Last edited:
I'm feeling more towards create a product. Twitter is good for showing content. Creating and showing fancy looking weapons and ships should get attention bit by bit, and these nicely fit 5 second videos. Also need to Steam it - that's a month from starting Direct to making it available.

It recenters the right button on the new on the new touch, meaning the left button remains the same distance away.
thats the problem, heres a usage scenario that was happening with me exaggerated
screen = 10 units wide
say you have the recenter point at 7 units,
you want to turn right, so press at right arrow 8 units, it recenters at 8 units
you want to turn right, so press at right arrow 9 units, it recenters at 9 units
you want to turn right, so press at right arrow 10 units, it recenters at 9.5 units (9.5 cause it wont go off the screen)
you want to turn right but can't cause the point is off the screen

thats the problem, heres a usage scenario that was happening with me exaggerated
screen = 10 units wide
say you have the recenter point at 7 units,
you want to turn right, so press at right arrow 8 units, it recenters at 8 units
It doesn't though. ;) If it feels like it does, increase the LFT/RGT value.

Using your example, if you have the sensitivity set at 0.5 units, and press at 7 units across, the centre position is placed at 6.5 units and the right control activates. If you then lift and press at 8 units across, the centre position is 7.5 and the right control activates again. If you press slightly left, at 7.8 units, the centre position is kept 0.5 to the left, at 7.3, and you hit the right button.

If you set the LFT/RGT to maximum, you'll easily see this. The current direction button is centred under the last press.

Ok, had a bit of a play on the Linx Vision now - had a chance to try everything...here's some potential 'issues' I found;

1) The Default ship is faster than the missiles, so you fire a missile and run into it!
2) Is the a spelling mistake in the Generator type? "Graet capacity" I assume should be great capacity?
3) When selecting touch there's nothing (I could see) saying you don't need to move the 'stick' - so I spent a while trying to move it when I didn't need to

General feedback - the advanced controls are pretty amazing (how they work) but they are not really for me - I much prefer the touch control, a minor gripe would be that it's be nice if there was a 'reverse thrust' button to slow you down. The range of the lazer seems a little short (is this something that might be upgradable?). FTR now I'm using touch I'm finding it easier to pick up the power-ups.

Overall, as I said before, I think you have the basis of a pretty neat game here! I'm nagging the kids to give it a try and get more feedback, as and when I get that I'll post.

Back