ionAXXIA - classic top down design-your-own-ship space shooter. [Steam, Android, XBox, Win 10]

I must be seeing things then, heres a video I just took (sorry about the portait orientation)
NOTE: using default settings
http://zedzeek.com/junk/IMG_0014.MOV
That's correct behaviour. It ensures the buttons are relative to your fingers. If you hold your finger down, you'll be on the Right button, turning right. As your finger drifts left or right, the right button is kept underneath. It's only when you make a more deliberate change (based on sensitivity setting) that you'll hit the left button, which will then also be kept under your finger no matter where it wanders around the screen.

I wonder if the problem is more psychological, that people see the controls moving and try to adapt? Maybe if I keep the controls static in appearance, but use the tracking algorithm underneath, that'll work better?

Ok, had a bit of a play on the Linx Vision now - had a chance to try everything...here's some potential 'issues' I found;
Thanks for the feedback!

1) The Default ship is faster than the missiles, so you fire a missile and run into it!
That's where designing a different ship is required. ;)
2) Is the a spelling mistake in the Generator type? "Graet capacity" I assume should be great capacity?
Yep. Thanks.
3) When selecting touch there's nothing (I could see) saying you don't need to move the 'stick' - so I spent a while trying to move it when I didn't need to
Which stick? I've put all explanation into the tutorial video but I probably can't rely on people watching that.

General feedback - the advanced controls are pretty amazing (how they work) but they are not really for me - I much prefer the touch control, a minor gripe would be that it's be nice if there was a 'reverse thrust' button to slow you down.
Have you tried tapping the centre? You'll turn and stop. I could change that to brake, but then the gameplay will change.
The range of the lazer seems a little short (is this something that might be upgradable?). FTR now I'm using touch I'm finding it easier to pick up the power-ups.
Really?! I couldn't get them at all with touch controls. Goes to show. Laser range is supposed ot be tiny. There'll be loads of weapons and engines and generators, each with pros and cons. The current laser has high damage output offset by low range.

Overall, as I said before, I think you have the basis of a pretty neat game here! I'm nagging the kids to give it a try and get more feedback, as and when I get that I'll post.
Thanks loads! This is all very helpful.

Which stick? I've put all explanation into the tutorial video but I probably can't rely on people watching that.

Probably, but I watched the video the day before and have a memory like a goldfish (surely you caught on with my rubbish posts on the forums ;))
Just saying what I experienced, and yeah - most people won't bother with videos (especially 5 min long ones!)
Edit - ah, you've got the video linked to each type - nice touch!

Have you tried tapping the centre? You'll turn and stop. I could change that to brake, but then the gameplay will change.

Uberdyne thruster being used and ship just drifts unless I'm doing something wrong?

Really?! I couldn't get them at all with touch controls. Goes to show. Laser range is supposed ot be tiny. There'll be loads of weapons and engines and generators, each with pros and cons. The current laser has high damage output offset by low range.

Sorry, I meant directional (slaps own forehead!)
Regarding the controller options menu - I think it's be nice to have all 5 listed and the one you're using highlighted.

Thanks loads! This is all very helpful.

Well always happy to help, my son is writing a game too so you might be able to return the favour ;)

Edit - weird thing - keeps crashing, I think it's linked to when you select a particular control type and watch the video? BTW, not tried the DS4 - does it just plug and play?

Edit 2 - ok, it appears watching any video then trying to return to the game crashes it

Final edit (I promise!) - it's the home button, whilst playing accidentally pressed it and going back into the game crashes it...likely limited to just this hardware?

Last edited:
Maybe if I keep the controls static in appearance, but use the tracking algorithm underneath, that'll work better?
Perhaps post the relevant piece of code and I'll show you how it can run into issues mathematically, as we can both agree on the maths

Ok, had a bit of a play on the Linx Vision now - had a chance to try everything...here's some potential 'issues' I found;

1) The Default ship is faster than the missiles, so you fire a missile and run into it!
2) Is the a spelling mistake in the Generator type? "Graet capacity" I assume should be great capacity?
3) When selecting touch there's nothing (I could see) saying you don't need to move the 'stick' - so I spent a while trying to move it when I didn't need to

General feedback - the advanced controls are pretty amazing (how they work) but they are not really for me - I much prefer the touch control, a minor gripe would be that it's be nice if there was a 'reverse thrust' button to slow you down. The range of the lazer seems a little short (is this something that might be upgradable?). FTR now I'm using touch I'm finding it easier to pick up the power-ups.

Overall, as I said before, I think you have the basis of a pretty neat game here! I'm nagging the kids to give it a try and get more feedback, as and when I get that I'll post.
the Linx Vision? Wow... I always wanted one, but well I got a different tablet in the end. How is it? Do you like it or find it comfortable for everyday use? It just looks so beautiful.... You are a little hero because of getting that one, wish someday a capable tablet can be modeled after it. How much did it cost? How light is it or does it weigh more than it seems?

New version rolling out, available on PC here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr3v8f1aiwmnotp/novaWARS_0711.zip?dl=0
Should be automatically updated on Android.

I've addressed most of the suggestions and criticisms so far.
  1. Tweaked the advanced controls. @zed was right in some cases where it wasn't moving correctly. Coupled with...
  2. Static visuals for the advanced buttons so users don't get confused, I've had excellent utilisation with testers. It isn't 100% perfect if your fingers do something funny, but it's about as close as you can get on touch-screen I think, and extremely playable. I'll be interested to hear if everyone's more comfortable with them now.
    There's now a VPos in the settings to set the vertical position of the advanced controls, defaulting to around the centre.
  3. Wrap-around levels. This took a fair bit of work, hence the long time to update. The galactic barrier is gone and you can freely fly anywhere. Huge improvement for new players.
  4. Show all controller options instead of hiding the current one.
  5. Mouse control. LMB moves, RMB shoots, MMB uses special.
  6. Slight tutorial with easy objectives required to unlock the levels with aliens. Probably need to add score indicators to show when points are awarded.
  7. Pickups now gravitate towards your ship.

BTW, not tried the DS4 - does it just plug and play?
Yes! Very cool.

Edit 2 - ok, it appears watching any video then trying to return to the game crashes it
I'll investigate. Actually I'll try to move away from this video into short video clips in game.
Final edit (I promise!) - it's the home button, whilst playing accidentally pressed it and going back into the game crashes it...likely limited to just this hardware?
Haven't noticed a problem on other devices.

Next I'm going to look at improving the visuals with some better lighting effects. The lack of post-processing power on mobile is a real problem in making something artistically competitive, but a game has to look good to garner attention.

After that I'll see about creating an iOS version, now I've got a Mini 2 to target.

#3 is a great improvement for gameplay, the problem with implementing it are particles and lighting (which esp can be a real cunt, if the light radius is large enuf requiring the light to appear at 2 places at the same time) etc

Only if the level is the size of the screen. I originally avoided wraparound like Star Control as it'd be a bugger for drawing and physics. But then I realised I don't have two ships on screen! With the single ship centred, you just put everything a maximum distance away, off screen.

New version rolling out, available on PC here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr3v8f1aiwmnotp/novaWARS_0711.zip?dl=0
Should be automatically updated on Android.

I've addressed most of the suggestions and criticisms so far.
  1. Tweaked the advanced controls. @zed was right in some cases where it wasn't moving correctly. Coupled with...
  2. Static visuals for the advanced buttons so users don't get confused, I've had excellent utilisation with testers. It isn't 100% perfect if your fingers do something funny, but it's about as close as you can get on touch-screen I think, and extremely playable. I'll be interested to hear if everyone's more comfortable with them now.
    There's now a VPos in the settings to set the vertical position of the advanced controls, defaulting to around the centre.
  3. Wrap-around levels. This took a fair bit of work, hence the long time to update. The galactic barrier is gone and you can freely fly anywhere. Huge improvement for new players.
  4. Show all controller options instead of hiding the current one.
  5. Mouse control. LMB moves, RMB shoots, MMB uses special.
  6. Slight tutorial with easy objectives required to unlock the levels with aliens. Probably need to add score indicators to show when points are awarded.
  7. Pickups now gravitate towards your ship.

Yes! Very cool.

I'll investigate. Actually I'll try to move away from this video into short video clips in game.
Haven't noticed a problem on other devices.

Next I'm going to look at improving the visuals with some better lighting effects. The lack of post-processing power on mobile is a real problem in making something artistically competitive, but a game has to look good to garner attention.

After that I'll see about creating an iOS version, now I've got a Mini 2 to target.
the mouse works now quite well, although not in game. In game it does nothing, just the secondary mouse button does something. I also tested the gamepad. It works now too, although it feels a bit laggy for now. Button layout could be also improved.

In regards to the customisation of on-screen controls (I haven't tried the new version in the tablet yet), I meant the default touch controls which to me are the easiest, most intuitive to use, and I found I could move the controls around in the advanced controls version, when I tested it but not when I enabled the default touch controls. Gotta try again when I download the new version to my tablet.

the mouse works now quite well, although not in game. In game it does nothing, just the secondary mouse button does something.
Is that in Touch Mode?
I also tested the gamepad. It works now too, although it feels a bit laggy for now. Button layout could be also improved.
Button layout is fully customisable. Watch the video on the menu screen.

In regards to the customisation of on-screen controls (I haven't tried the new version in the tablet yet), I meant the default touch controls which to me are the easiest, most intuitive to use, and I found I could move the controls around in the advanced controls version, when I tested it but not when I enabled the default touch controls. Gotta try again when I download the new version to my tablet.
Any of the control schemes that use the buttons, so Touch and Screen, you can drag them to wherever is comfortable.

It's the sort of thing I need to present as short video clips in game so people don't miss them, I think.

Is that in Touch Mode?
Button layout is fully customisable. Watch the video on the menu screen.

Any of the control schemes that use the buttons, so Touch and Screen, you can drag them to wherever is comfortable.

It's the sort of thing I need to present as short video clips in game so people don't miss them, I think.
ah okay, that's the next thing I am going to do when I play the game again. But I'd swear I couldn't drag the default touch controls, because I wanted to and I wasn't happy with the placement of the buttons 1 and 2. I mean this because the first thing I did was playing using the advanced controls and I dragged several buttons across the screen but preferred the default touch controls and I don't remember being able to drag anything.

In regards to the button layout I just plugged the gamepad in and played with the default controls to test them. The true test is the tablet I guess, and I am going to play the game on it for some time. In fact, it might be the only reason for me to switch the tablet on, because it is just sitting there taking dust most of the time.

Hmm, you can't drag the Advanced Controls. You were probably dragging the Screen Controls, normal buttons, making me wonder if you tried the Advanced controls? The advanced controls moved around when you pressed them, which is what seems to have unsettled players. Please give them another shot.

Also, the screen Controls and Touch Controls share the positions (one set of buttons) so if you drag them on one, they'll be moved for the other.

Just received an email from Apple saying they're received an IP infringement complaint from Nexon, who say my use of novaWARS violates their trademark. Dunno how to play this one with zero money. Google 'novaWARS' and it's all me. Look up Nexon and they have nothing related. But they'll have a budget to buy a trademark, probably. Not sure what that would then mean for my already paid-for Steam listing. Hopefully I can change the name if it comes to that. :(

Just received an email from Apple saying they're received an IP infringement complaint from Nexon, who say my use of novaWARS violates their trademark. Dunno how to play this one with zero money. Google 'novaWARS' and it's all me. Look up Nexon and they have nothing related. But they'll have a budget to buy a trademark, probably. Not sure what that would then mean for my already paid-for Steam listing. Hopefully I can change the name if it comes to that. :(

I do not know anything about this, but can you not get them to explicitly tell you which trademark you are supposedly infringing?

In the US they do have a live trademark for "Fantasy War Tactics R" & dead trademark for "War Wings", but nothing using "Nova". Could it be the font or imagery associated with the name? I did find 13 live trademarks using the word "Nova" in conjunction with games, but not Nova Wars. Confusing to say the least.

Tommy McClain

I do not know anything about this, but can you not get them to explicitly tell you which trademark you are supposedly infringing?
Apple contacted me to contact them. I stated why I chose the name (no-one else was using it) and pointed to the fact only I'm using it and they don't have a game listed as Nova anything. Not sure what the IP law is as I've clearly got prior art, but trademarks is a bit different. You can buy ownership of a name someone else is using.

Naming games is becoming a problem, I think. There are soooo many, lots of obvious names are taken. You then have to come up with something random and undescriptive. I wanted something that suggests space and combat, in a similar vein to Star Control, and everything was taken! novaWARS, a friend's suggestion, seemed to fit the bill nicely. I'll be disappointed if I have to lose it as it means a lot of effort rebranding all my listings (MadeWithUnity, IndieDB, SlideDB, Indie Game Launchpad, Steam, Apple, Google Play, yada yada).

Just showed it to a kid who's been enjoying it on his phone, much prefers the new wraparound play arena, and who was well impressed when I connected his DS4 to my Surface Pro and played it with a controller. Definitely, absolutely want to get a public Alpha out by end of July! Too many things have been getting in the way. New lighting model looks better and runs faster than the prototype, so it's just finishing off to go.

Back