Shadow of the Tomb Raider [XO, PS4, PC]

Why are people disappointed with the screenshots?

The game is coming later this year, so it's the same engine for the same console generation as ROTR.

I know many of us have been spoiled by the looks of the latest 1st-gen single-player titles like Horizon and God of War 4, but it's not like this game looks bad.
Remember it still has to run on a 1.3TFLOPs Xbone at ~900p or so. This can be a great game with these looks.

Crystal Dynamics can update the engine for the 9th-generation of consoles and focus this game on story and perhaps some actual tomb raiding IMO.

The game is coming later this year, so it's the same engine for the same console generation as ROTR.

I know many of us have been spoiled by the looks of the latest 1st-gen single-player titles like Horizon and God of War 4, but it's not like this game looks bad.
Remember it still has to run on a 1.3TFLOPs Xbone at ~900p or so. This can be a great game with these looks.

Crystal Dynamics can update the engine for the 9th-generation of consoles and focus this game on story and perhaps some actual tomb raiding IMO.
Because this is likely what they should have looked like:
a333447bdf8f813d935bbb099d0a5f95.jpg

Why is that called "spoilage"? This is a game 3 years after Rise.
Of course we would expect more. You would expect something better in all consoles even at 900p on One.
If it is the case of a lowest common denominator we can find it understandable to some point, but that wont make the result more impressive looking.

That looks like something out of Hitman. -_-

Different engines ("foundation" for Tomb Raider and "glacier" for Hitman), but you just made me think of a cool crossover game between Agent 47 and Lara Croft.

Square Enix should totally do it!

Why is that called "spoilage"? This is a game 3 years after Rise.
Of course we would expect more. You would expect something better in all consoles even at 900p on One.

It's a multiplatform game so fine-tuning is limited, and Ryse isn't really comparable to Tomb Raider in FoV and stage size (i.e. amount of stuff that goes into the framebuffer at any given time).
This doesn't look much better than The Order either, but again the comparison wouldn't be fair for the same reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the look of the top image. If the scene's pulled off correctly, it should prove quite atmospheric: a dusky version of the marketplace from Uncharted 4. Fit!

It's a multiplatform game so fine-tuning is limited, and Ryse isn't really comparable to Tomb Raider in FoV and stage size (i.e. amount of stuff that goes into the framebuffer at any given time).
This doesn't look much better than The Order either, but again the comparison wouldn't be fair for the same reasons.
I am talking about Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Regardless, multiplatform or not, those images show something that is underwhelming. Whatever the reasons it may look like that, it wont make it more impressive. Also you expect major improvements over what was 3 years ago

The screenshots look badly modified, like they gave them to an intern who likes the sharpen filter. @iroboto's looks like an actual game.

It's not a big improvement over the past game which was already underwhelming back then. It reeked of cross-gen development, even though the team focused on xboxone in the end, I'd bet development started aiming at ps360. We gave it a pass then given the time-frame, but I was expecting something more properly next-gen by the following title...

Looks like they haven't updated their lighting engine and shaders still lacking that true PBR look. I guess everything just looks like that plasticky feel in the previous entries. Level geometry is pretty dense tho, need to see it in action.

Looks like they haven't updated their lighting engine and shaders still lacking that true PBR look. I guess everything just looks like that plasticky feel in the previous entries. Level geometry is pretty dense tho, need to see it in action.
its' not made by crystal dynamics, instead Eidos Montreal. So we're not sure what the engine is here. I'm going to assume it's the same engine though. Too much re-work to port imo.

its' not made by crystal dynamics, instead Eidos Montreal. So we're not sure what the engine is here. I'm going to assume it's the same engine though. Too much re-work to port imo.
Everything does look quite samey, also read about how this game is made to take advantage of the HDR more than Rise so that should be nice.

Exactly. Their materials simply look last-genny. PBR is a must have today. They dropped the ball on this one, no two ways about it.

Honestly the game looks good to me. I'm already picturing it running at 6K-8K sampling levels. *drool*

Yes, as far as we can tell, there is no pb-material use. However, the game is still attractive looking, IMHO.

Honestly the game looks good to me. I'm already picturing it running at 6K-8K sampling levels. *drool*

Yes, as far as we can tell, there is no pb-material use. However, the game is still attractive looking, IMHO.
It's not ugly but could be a lot better. A little oversight on the dev's end I reckon, if they want to go for a realistic approach then PBR is absolutely integral for making a convincing look. Games using it automatically receives a huge upgrade in visuals and believability and TR with its extensive wet environment would benefit a lot from it.

A little oversight on the dev's end I reckon, if they want to go for a realistic approach then PBR is absolutely integral for making a convincing look. Games using it automatically receives a huge upgrade in visuals and believability and TR with its extensive wet environment would benefit a lot from it.

In spirit I agree with you on PBR based engines. But not having it, isn't necessarily bad, nor a misstep by developers looking for a particular look. I'm still drooling over how good Rise of the Tomb Raider looks (higher-IQ sampling levels), even on my older rig.

Any reason why CD isn't working on this?
So this is just imo, and I could be wrong. But often if your solid studio is doing well and you have some cheaper to operate studios that you are developing, you will pass the project to a studio where they can make sequels and gain their experience there. You will have your front runners attempt to build a new IP. CD is in SF, compared to a subsidized Montreal location.

edit, so sorta of wrong. Eidos montreal does thief and deus ex. So perhaps CD is closer to marvel geographically.
On January 26, 2017, Square Enix announced a partnership with Marvel Entertainment to create multiple video games based on Marvel properties, the first of which was announced to be based on The Avengers which would be developed by Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal.[15]

Unlike the previous entries in the Tomb Raider reboot series which were primarily developed by Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montréal assumed major development duties for Shadow of the Tomb Raider while Crystal Dynamics provided additional development.[11]

Last edited:
From the trailer you expect THIS kind of action plus more. Which I dont like.

They should call it Rambo 5: John's real daughter.
There is way too much emphasis in violence and kills and she is a master at it.
Drake may be also a "killing machine" in numbers but there is no melee attack where he slaughters or shoots someone in the face from point blank range and his kills have less of an impact in their depiction. There is no emphasis on blood either. They are kinda like "cartoon" kills.
But Lara? Any more brutality and she will become the new character of Gears of War

Last edited:
Back