Secret Mac Owners Thread

I went and splurged on a 2016 13" Macbook Pro so you could say I'm moving further into the Mac fold.
Here's hoping it'll arrive in time for Christmas ('Delivery 3-4 weeks').

Still using my late 2010 Air every day and I guess that helps me rationalize the expense but lately with Sierra it's just really starting to be a struggle.
Oh cool, that's the one with that new LED toolbar/touchbar thing right? (Or whatever they call it).

The worst scenario obviously happens when CPU and GPU are simultaneously used, and the CPU reaches 95C (203F) in 30 seconds and begins to throttle, while the GPU reaches 74C (165F) and also throttles. The fans in such situation go to max speed and have similar noise levels as the 5K iMac.
That's with an 8-core CPU, but the iMac "Pro" goes up to 18 cores.

Technically it doesn't overheat then, as it continues to function... :p

Of course we should all have realized thermal limitations would exist in a small enclosure like that, especially with a shared heatsink between CPU and GPU. It's the same story as the "trashcan" Mac Pro - also shared heatsink, which oversaturates with all components working full blast, causing throttling.

Technically it doesn't overheat then, as it continues to function... :p
Yes, but that was just a quick test.
The trashcan Mac "Pro" was unreliable, and this machine will probably be even worse than the trashcan after prolonged use.

Of course we should all have realized thermal limitations would exist in a small enclosure like that, especially with a shared heatsink between CPU and GPU. It's the same story as the "trashcan" Mac Pro - also shared heatsink, which oversaturates with all components working full blast, causing throttling.
Yes, stuff like that was bound to happen. Afterall iMacs are just laptops on a stick.
I guess it's just that I don't understand why someone would pay $5000+ for this machine.

I guess it's just that I don't understand why someone would pay $5000+ for this machine.
Well, it's the fastest Mac you can buy, by far, unless you need double precision GPGPU, in which case the trashcan mac surely beats this one. And it's got a great, high-rez screen, and fast I/O, and it's small and neat and stylish, and to top off it's a Mac, which appeals to some people.

Looking at the pics of iFixit's teardown of the thing, and what strikes me is how beautiful it is on the inside. Everything so neat and tidy and well designed and well fabricated. Even the PSU is beautifully put together, with build and soldering quality a mile and a half above what you find in any PC power supply (none of the messy jungle of cables snaking all over the place, daughter PCBs sticking up randomly and so on), as well as everything color-coordinated black to match the rest of the innards. Basically all components are either made with black plastic or covered in black laquer, black shrinkwrap or black tape. Hell, even the silicone putty used to secure components is black. Who else would go to such extremes but Apple? :LOL:

If I had stupid amounts of money I would definitely want one of these. 10-core CPU and Vega 64, that'd be real nice. Alas, I don't! And with the full metal enclosure of an iMac, you couldn't see any internal LED bling decoration either... :( :p

my macbook pro goes into thermal management quickly if I'm running games. It was a little disappointing when I'd play a game and it would be running worse 30 minutes after I started playing. Just the reality of having these compact devices.

I'd be curious to see some undervolting tests of this mac pro.

Can you do that? That'd be great for the Vega GPUs, using Vega (and Pascal too) at stock voltage is pretty disappointing on desktop tbh.

Yah, you can undervolt macs. I tried on mine but it was unstable. Different tools than on pc. Not as much interest in it. Wanted to see if i could keep my MacBook temp down and leep clocks a little higher.

I'm trying to remember what I used. Maybe I did it in bootcamp, but I'm sure I had a tool for osx.

Last edited:
Back