Scorpio E3 messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
99% of the features are the same between X1S and Scorpio, the only difference we know of is VR.
Every other difference is let's call it a settings.
Streaming & DVR 4k hdr, both do streaming it's a quality setting.
Games, both play the same games, it's a quality setting.

So they have to push the differences, and get that message across.
By showing the differences, I think 70% of that will also be the differences between Scorpio and 4pro.
I expect the X1s to outsell the Scorpio, but they need the Scorpio to be perceived as being a success.

If I didn't know any better, I would say that Xbox was way ahead compared to PS4 if I was going by the marketing I see. I don't see X1 anywhere, I'm seeing PS4 all over the place.
I would've expected to see the one behind pushing marketing harder.

So how do they take their message and then market it. Guess will be as simple as "And the only place to play it in true 4k", but they don't have any marketing deals to put that message on?

Last edited:
Guess will be as simple as "And the only place to play it in true 4k", but they don't have any marketing deals to put that message on?

No, they don't. Which means either they've decided to dump that budget into Scorpio's price point, or they think that something they've already created (DX12?) will make it so easy for 3rd parties to leverage the additional overhead, that multi-platform games will look and perform superior and every review that mentions this will become their marketing.

There is a rumor they have one major 3rd party marketing deal. But I can see spending that money into the price point instead. Good call.

Tommy McClain

What are the rules. If you pay for marketing you get a mention in their adds , but if your releasing you own hardware and running your own adds do you need this?

I.e. can you just advertise the upcoming games on your platform? Or are you blocked from showing that content in any marketing?

So 90 minutes still. Interesting, I would have thought they would have tried to push it to 2 hrs. I guess they will blast through Scorpio then.
Maybe they are going to start with exclusives and leave Scorpio to be shown in the last minutes of the conference and some kind of very surprising megaton, which I think would be great for Xbox, the excitement and the hype back again after a few years of Xbox One.

Yesterday I got a gamepad for my brother, to play games on his PC, and it looked good. But I haven't seen this one, which came out very very recently, the Hori Fighting Commander gamepad for X360, PC and Xbox One.

51iXhI76OrL._AC_SL1000_-700x378.jpg

I don't think the DF is gospel or necessarily represents the perception of other people.

Watch Dogs 2 and ME Andromeda are two examples of games that look quite bad on the Pro compared to a native 4k image. Sure it looks better than either 1080p console, but a native 4k version of those games on Scorpio, specially if they have higher quality assets would be instantly distinguishable from one another, perhaps more so than a PS4 game compared to Xbox one.

Enviado de meu SM-G610M usando Tapatalk
Thank you very much. Sometimes I think my eyes are deceiving me with what I am reading on the net when it comes to 4k gaming. As an owner of a PS4 pro and a decent 4k tv I see a clear difference between the, few, native 4k titles that I own and the checkerboard ones. Nevermind that many big PS4 pro titles aren't even 4k checkerboard but 1440p , games like uncharted 4 /resident evil7/mafia3/dishonired2 e.t.c .

Games like darksiders and skyrim look far sharper on the PS4 pro than even something high end like horizon.

So if you think $449 is the proper price for Scorpio as $399 is too low, do you also think that 4Pro can not drop to $349?

I think the Pro can drop as low as $299 with the base model being $199. For this holiday season it will most probably be around $349 bundled with a game.

I'm not sure MS will focus on Scorpio as a whole at all during their conference. I think they will simply reiterate the specs. and emphasize the "6TFLOPs of GPU computing performance", "most powerful console eva!" buzzwords and then just show some footage of stuff running on it, then continue on with the games.

They'll likely push for everything shown on their stage to be running on Scorpio. They'll also, very likely avoid any talk about resolutions and 4k, because frankly, E3 is not really the place for it... and unless they can categorically promise that every Scorpio game will be native 4k by default (which is impossible), it's not even worth getting into the discussion at E3.

E3 is and always will be about games. So MS will demo. all games on stage with Scorpio, e.g. Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, some 3rd parties and the Bioware new IP and leave it at that.

Just an update looking at the latest amount of pre-e3 marketing around Scorpio, I think it's pretty pointless to talk about power and specs. That's been done.

They know E3 is about games, it will still be about games. The big story will be about how many games both existing and future titles will be Scorpio enhanced. That is what people want to know, and what people are coming to see. I expect at this point in time marketing Scorpio is just showing how many and how good the titles look. 4K native is a nice number to advertise, but 4K almost your whole library sounds a lot better then spotty support. I think that's something both mid-gen refreshes will need to corner to be successful. Both 4Pro and Scorpio machines are great pieces of hardware, but the more 'enabled' titles there are, the value goes up immensely.

And this is where I see Scorpio leading over 4Pro, especially in terms of marketing. Simple slide 100+ 4K games on Scorpio vs < 100 games on competitor platform. Done. Ignore the asterisks, ignore the concept of what is true 4K. Just focus on number of titles. Play to the true strengths here since it's difficult for anyone to discern the absolute difference with each title on native and CBR.

Devs claimed to succeed in reaching 4K XBO on Scorpio running in 2 days is incentive enough to do it, or at least explore the possibility for giving it a run.

The case isn't the same with Pro, which requires special implementations and changes to push it up to that level. Furthermore MS has been pushing for a new Scorpio hardware SDK which builds for both XBO and Scorpio, making it tempting to at least try code on Scorpio setups.

Though, Sony has mandated 4Pro use going forward, the next set of titles will be good for it, I think 4Pro owners will be happier with the increasing number of titles in the coming years, but the existing library will seem lacking in comparison to what can be accomplished for existing titles on Scorpio.

I think the marketing over the last couple days, has shown that they are going to push the power narrative. Which was all but a given I suspect.

For the last year everyone has been waiting, speculating, and discussing the Scorpio, so it has to be a highlight of the show, and now they changed from using the word native to true 4k. Which is smart, if it's what I think they mean by it.
I think they will highlight what they mean by true 4k:
4k assets
4k resolution
Good framerates
With even 1080p owners by default getting the benefits of all that.

I don't expect all that to take much time though, I'm not expecting them to go into detail, just highlight each point, slide/vid(10 sec) showing difference.

edit: Throw in a show reel with couple devs saying how easy it was to do true 4k, and how their definitely going to support it.

I think they will go over the benefits/features of Scorpio as a device, e.g. 4k streaming & dvr (new dvr app for x1 & Scorpio), all games including bc looking and playing better by default.

Then say, here's the result of true 4k, run one of their viral vids about power, and then launch into games.
While still saying, remember all these games still run on X1, amazing isn't it.....

This is the biggest and best chance to get their message about Scorpio across. Games alone isn't good enough, as those will play on X1 also.
X1 is good but why would you want a Scorpio. Then push games for both.

Last edited:
How is a 4K asset quantified?
All they have to do is show a texture of something (armour, FM7 Wing from car) blown up from X1 and Scorpio versions. Say it's a pc 4k asset if necessary. But as their not going into details, I think just showing it is enough, explanations can come later :LOL:

With the way the companies have been, I could see them even saying the only console powerful enough that can do dynamic, native and true 4k, in that order.
I think they will need some impressive console exclusive games as well also though. Otherwise, that will just back fire.

All they need to do for messaging is start the show with the Scorpio reveal, spend the entire show demonstrating games and conclude with "All these games you've seen running on the Scorpio, will also run your current Xbox One systems!"

Done. Every PC gamer knows that game reveals are shown running off SLI 1080Ti's and won't look as good or play as smoothly if they don't have that same level of system. Every PS gamer now knows that their games won't look as good on their PS4 as they will if they bought the PS4Pro.

As long as the games do dynamically scale and it isn't a matter of "Utter garbage" on the Xbox One and "Amazing" on the Scorpio, there's no need to over complicate things.

4K native is a nice number to advertise, but 4K almost your whole library sounds a lot better then spotty support. I think that's something both mid-gen refreshes will need to corner to be successful. Both 4Pro and Scorpio machines are great pieces of hardware, but the more 'enabled' titles there are, the value goes up immensely.
If I were cynical, I'd expect them to tout "4K on Scorpio" before every game they show just like they were doing the whole "Xbox Exclusive/Win10+Xbox Exclusive" preamble last year (so irritating, also surprised they didn't have Cortana voice that too :p). :rolleyes:

All they need to do for messaging is start the show with the Scorpio reveal, spend the entire show demonstrating games and conclude with "All these games you've seen running on the Scorpio, will also run your current Xbox One systems!"

Done. Every PC gamer knows that game reveals are shown running off SLI 1080Ti's and won't look as good or play as smoothly if they don't have that same level of system. Every PS gamer now knows that their games won't look as good on their PS4 as they will if they bought the PS4Pro.

As long as the games do dynamically scale and it isn't a matter of "Utter garbage" on the Xbox One and "Amazing" on the Scorpio, there's no need to over complicate things.
i don't think giving quick overview of what makes Scorpio the premium X1 device would be over complicating it. in my version of their conference each bullet point is about a minute long if that.
need to give people the headline features.

If I were cynical, I'd expect them to tout "4K on Scorpio" before every game they show just like they were doing the whole "Xbox Exclusive/Win10+Xbox Exclusive" preamble last year (so irritating). :rolleyes:
oh forgot about that. Those tags gonna get pretty long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back