Scorpio E3 messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is wrong? They have a 3rd party deal, just like every other AAA game which has a deal with MS or Sony.
nothing wrong with a third party deal but if that is actually true -don't think so-, paying to curtail the version of the competition is pretty unheard of (not even Megadrive SNES rivalry was so vile) and lame.

Bungie has confirmed that Destiny 2 will support the 4K resolution on PS4 Pro, which is currently the only console to implement this feature. During an interview, in fact, the community manager Deej has said that no promise has yet been made for the 4K resolution on Xbox One X.

Err, first of all companies and media are using 4k fast and loose now, so "4k" for Destiny PS4 Pro can mean checkerboard, dynamic, or native. The same also goes for X1X. In other words, Destiny X1X could be superior resolution to PS4 Pro version, or it could not. We dont have enough information to jump to conclusions.

Also, Destiny was notably true 1080P on both PS4 and X1, a somewhat rarity for triple A FPS. Overall, Destiny and probably it's sequel are not ultra demanding.

Bungie is just being cautious with their comments, I pretty much guarantee X1X version will certainly not be deficient in resolution to PS4 Pro. It may be equal (just as less powerful XBO was equal with PS4 for Destiny 1), and it may be superior. There's no conspiracy.

I could see possibly both PS4 Pro and X1X, or at least the latter, hitting true native 4k on Destiny 2. Given again that Bungie managed 1080P native on Xbox One.

Also Mark Noseworthy (Bungie guy) on twitter flatly denied they would alter any game's performance due to a companies request, and that any had asked.

Phil Spencer doesn't want to show games that aren't going to be launched this year or early next year, unless they are factual.
We Have Just Signed Exclusives That Won’t Be Ready for 2-3 Years, No Point in Showing Them
http://wccftech.com/spencer-signed-exclusives-2-3years/
does that mean he didn't do any deals during 1X development period? Doesn't he have anyone to delegate things to?
Year or so ago he could've even started a couple DLC's to drop this year and early next.
talking DLC wasn't recore supposed to get one early this year?

I'm not saying hearing that is bad, but still

Maybe we won't ever see them. They could cancel them.
Clever. Actually. Now when you cancel something, no one will care because there was no hype.
does that mean he didn't do any deals during 1X development period? Doesn't he have anyone to delegate things to?
Year or so ago he could've even started a couple DLC's to drop this year and early next.
talking DLC wasn't recore supposed to get one early this year?

I'm not saying hearing that is bad, but still
Also does that mean there will be no new exclusives for about 2 or 3 years?

As for DLCs, I could care less about DLC exclusivities, never seen the point of it.

Unless you believe that MS waited 2 years to sign off on a new Halo or gave Coalition a 7-8 month holiday then most likely Phil is referring to second party titles.

Forza was just announced so it might be that MS is limiting its most important first party franchises to a similar window from announcement to release.

If so, then Halo 6 might be next year with whatever The Coalition is working on to show up the following year.

And I imagine games like FH to be sprinkled in there somewhere.

Microsoft is one of the most scrutinized companies on the planet.

If they make claims, people will look for ways to downplay it. And if they don't follow through on those claims, people will look to demonize them for it. Yes, they do also have their ardent fans. They are kind of like the Yankee's. A very successful company. A core group of diehard fans. But an organization that people love to hate.

Scalebound was a perfect example of this. Exclusive signing of a game featuring a Japanese developer. Immediate calls that the game didn't look good, looked boring, wasn't really a Japanese developed game, etc. Then when it got cancelled, people were crawling out of the woodwork to chime in about how they were looking forward to the game and how dare MS cancel such a promising game.

I'm not necessarily saying those 2 groups of people are connected. But if there really were that many people dying to get their hands on Scalebound and loving how it was looking up until it was going to be cancelled, it would have been nice if most of them had spoken up about it sometime after the game was released as usually happens when people are looking forward to a game.

The fallout from the cancellation was so much larger than any good publicity from signing and announcing the exclusive. Projects get cancelled all the time by all publishers (MS, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Square-Enix, Blizzard, Bethesda, all of them). Most of the time it goes barely noticed or doesn't cause much of a stir. Just some lingering disappointment most of the time. Just look at all the things Sony has shown at their E3 conferences that never made it. Capcom's Deep Down is still nowhere to be seen. You get the point. Games getting cancelled, meh, no big deal, IMO (unless it's something I love!).

The blowback from Scalebound really surprised me and likely surprised MS as well. They likely felt it wouldn't generate much press considering how much it was being consistently panned around the internet. The Fable game had some blowback as well, but not as much as Scalebound. So, they are keeping announcements of anything that isn't basically nailed down close to the chest and under wraps until they are close to shipping.

I can't say that I blame them. And personally, I'm all for it, if not for the same reasons as why they are doing it. I just don't care to know about something multiple years in advance. When I find out about something I want to know that I can buy it relatively soon.

I'm also glad there are 3rd party developers that feel the same way as I do. I love that fact that 4A games waited until Metro: Exodus was almost finished before announcing anything. THAT is how game reveals should be done, IMO.

Regards,
SB

As for DLCs, I could care less about DLC exclusivities, never seen the point of it.
Halo 5 single player Master Chief DLC - halo 5 is old but far from dead, and this would've given it another shot in the arm.
Gears single player DLC
Recore, hell even though they couldn't agree on a sunset overdrive 2, maybe a DLC could've lead into one.

All exclusive and things that would've helped when there's no 1P games coming out.
seems to be enough hype for the uncharted dlc, so it's not like dlc can't help when things are this quiet.

Microsoft is one of the most scrutinized companies on the planet.

If they make claims, people will look for ways to downplay it. And if they don't follow through on those claims, people will look to demonize them for it. Yes, they do also have their ardent fans. They are kind of like the Yankee's. A very successful company. A core group of diehard fans. But an organization that people love to hate.

Scalebound was a perfect example of this. Exclusive signing of a game featuring a Japanese developer. Immediate calls that the game didn't look good, looked boring, wasn't really a Japanese developed game, etc. Then when it got cancelled, people were crawling out of the woodwork to chime in about how they were looking forward to the game and how dare MS cancel such a promising game.

I'm not necessarily saying those 2 groups of people are connected. But if there really were that many people dying to get their hands on Scalebound and loving how it was looking up until it was going to be cancelled, it would have been nice if most of them had spoken up about it sometime after the game was released as usually happens when people are looking forward to a game.

The fallout from the cancellation was so much larger than any good publicity from signing and announcing the exclusive. Projects get cancelled all the time by all publishers (MS, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Square-Enix, Blizzard, Bethesda, all of them). Most of the time it goes barely noticed or doesn't cause much of a stir. Just some lingering disappointment most of the time. Just look at all the things Sony has shown at their E3 conferences that never made it. Capcom's Deep Down is still nowhere to be seen. You get the point. Games getting cancelled, meh, no big deal, IMO (unless it's something I love!).

The blowback from Scalebound really surprised me and likely surprised MS as well. They likely felt it wouldn't generate much press considering how much it was being consistently panned around the internet. The Fable game had some blowback as well, but not as much as Scalebound. So, they are keeping announcements of anything that isn't basically nailed down close to the chest and under wraps until they are close to shipping.

I can't say that I blame them. And personally, I'm all for it, if not for the same reasons as why they are doing it. I just don't care to know about something multiple years in advance. When I find out about something I want to know that I can buy it relatively soon.

I'm also glad there are 3rd party developers that feel the same way as I do. I love that fact that 4A games waited until Metro: Exodus was almost finished before announcing anything. THAT is how game reveals should be done, IMO.

Regards,
SB
i have no issue with them not releasing details of the games.

Gears, Forza and halo, i don't think anyone doesn't expect them to come out or not to be in development.

but a year when you have a new console coming out, even a mid gen one and not having more than just crackdown seems crazy to me, like i said even DLC for their exclusives would've helped.

does that mean he didn't do any deals during 1X development period?

One might consider the particular development studio's own schedules. If the right studio wasn't available (because they were working on other things) or the project pitch wasn't great, there's not a whole lot you can do otherwise.

There's also budgetary concerns, of course. For example, they were making deals for Tomb Raider, Dead Rising 4, etc. + scalebound, but now those are all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back