SCE Joins Stanford's Folding@home Program (B3D ID=32377)

If they get it as a background task, running whenever someone watches a movie or browse the Internet etc., they'll get a lot more use.

I expect news to break tomorrow. Wonder if it'll hit the BBC's 'end of the news fluff story' slot?

Also, I've just noticed how totally disconnected I am to this. It's just a number to me. I don't, inside, appreciated just how much computational power there is here. It's phenomenal! yet it comes across as just a bigger number than other numbers. It's also worth noting how in the grand scheme of things, even Petaflops don't amount to much. There was an episode of Quantum Leap where the computer had a Teraflop of computional power, making it a sentient AI computer. Well we all know how wrong that is!

There was an episode of Quantum Leap where the computer had a Teraflop of computional power, making it a sentient AI computer. Well we all know how wrong that is!

So you don't think that's much more a matter of intelligent design / sufficient evolution & input for a learning system, rather than raw computing power that only does what it is told to do? ;)

There was an episode of Quantum Leap where the computer had a Teraflop of computional power, making it a sentient AI computer. Well we all know how wrong that is!

Hehe, with F@H processing power even SHODAN or SkyNet could become sentinent. :) C'mon Sony, make it so!

Hehe, with F@H processing power even SHODAN or SkyNet could become sentinent. :) C'mon Sony, make it so!
Some suspicious minds could say that something like this is already happening. Who knows whats happening when PS3 run idle? 170Watts for nothing? Sure.

I, for one, welcome our new AIBO overlords!

I've noticed something very very silly going on on my PS3. I've set it to fold after idling for five minutes. If I just let it sit there for a half-hour, it will go into fold mode alright, but it will halt at the "FaH writes data regularly, don't turn the machine off yaddayadda" warning. It does not get any work done while it sits there. I need to confirm the warning before any folding is performed.

I think that's really not what the option should be doing. Well, it should halt there for a user that hasn't yet accepted the user's agreement, but I already have, and I just want it to get some folding done without my intervention.

Is it just me, or does this happen for everyone?
FWIW I have two primary accounts on the machine to get access to demos from the US store. Could that be part of the problem?

Yes, I do think that the problem comes from the two user accounts. While I don't have folding set as my screensaver, whenever I now start it from the XMB, the application starts folding immediately.

The new typing interface on the 1.6 Firmware is funny by the way. It reminds me a lot of electronic typewriters. The line-break feature is a bit annoying, but you do get used to it. I really like how easy it is to go into the browser and particularly, through your team page, go to Beyond3d to read the forums while your PS3 continues to Fold. :) (with the World gently sliding by in the background). I spend a fair bit of time here, so that's definitely a good way for me to keep contributing. Also, it makes me feel better both about folding and browsing on the internet here, as for browsing alone it seems the PS3 is a tad power-hungry, but when it is folding at the same time, I doubt a PC would fare much better, especially one that is outputting a comparable amount of work.

Annother annoying bit is the maximum l.

... ength of the text you can edit at any one time. ;) And I really want a Bluetooth keyboard or one with a longer cord. Anyway, I hope we manage to break that magic barrier today. Looks like we just might!

Oh and Ctrl+Enter works too for a new line. And I really like how well you can do everything on the XMB and webbrowser with just the keyboard, or just the mouse, or just the controller. Using the arrow buttons / d-pad on the controller is one really pleasant way of moving about in the browser, as it was on the PSP.

Picture of when we were around 970 Gflops (720 on PS3):

foldingps3_world.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect news to break tomorrow. Wonder if it'll hit the BBC's 'end of the news fluff story' slot?

Also, I've just noticed how totally disconnected I am to this. It's just a number to me. I don't, inside, appreciated just how much computational power there is here. It's phenomenal! yet it comes across as just a bigger number than other numbers. It's also worth noting how in the grand scheme of things, even Petaflops don't amount to much. There was an episode of Quantum Leap where the computer had a Teraflop of computional power, making it a sentient AI computer. Well we all know how wrong that is!
It would be more like below for something closer to the human brain.
- 100 billion neurons
- each neuron with 10,000 connections
- working at 10,000 hertz

The total floating point power required would be:
10**9 x 10**4 x 10**4 x 2 = 2 x 10**17 floating point operations

or 200 Petaflops

Maybe in 5 or 10 years with a DC simulation using PS4 or PS5 ;)

Right now it is 988 Tfp.

I really hope someone improves PS3 F@H further to run in XMB background, and integrate with Playstation Network/Home... just like a regular game. That way we can either listen to music while we fold... or find other playstation users and chat with the talkative/humorous ones.

The globe interface is rather magical in opening up the imagination. It would be another interesting way to interact with the Playstation world/people. :)

It would be more like below for something closer to the human brain.
- 100 billion neurons
- each neuron with 10,000 connections
- working at 10,000 hertz

The total floating point power required would be:
10**9 x 10**4 x 10**4 x 2 = 2 x 10**17 floating point operations

or 200 Petaflops

Maybe in 5 or 10 years with a DC simulation using PS4 or PS5 ;)

Right now it is 988 Tfp.

And then there's the chance of the AI developing bias towards a certain brand and spend all its time debating it on the net. :)

But remenber it still is a simulation of one human brain, not many human brains.
It will focus one forum at a time. Maybe a few at a time.
Ah yes, let's dedicate some of its resources to body functions :cool: Yet again the forumites at Gaf have saved humanity from certain... something.

Nice TV, Arwin! (Gotta get rid of the stickers though :D )

Whoever did the UI for the globe should be commended: I must have spent 10 minutes just spinning the globe around, simply because it was mesmerizing. If someone would do the same thing, except layer in Google map images, I'd be there for hours.

Back