Ivy Bridge to have 77W max TDP?

Yeah, it WAS about IB's TDP. :)

I guarantee IVB would not have a 77W max TDP if AMD were putting up some competition. As it stands, Intel will be able to completely outperform any AMD offerings with (in reality) much less than 77W. Even very low power SNB dual core CPUs can outperform AMD 6 core (!) CPUs in many tasks, especially gaming.

I don't know why I quoted you rpg.

It's something how SB seems to clock as well as BD when BD is designed to clock high whereas SB isn't. Intel simply has better tech in every way. AMD looks bad even against an old 45nm i7. Assuming 22nm 3D goes well, yikes.

AMD looks kinda lame even against 45nm Core 2 Quads. Hell even the old 65nm quads put up a good fight against AMD's current offerings in terms of IPC. Yikes.

I can't help but be a little let down by IVB. Granted it's fast enough for everything and honestly will last us gamers many years because not even the next gen consoles will be as fast. But I sure wish there was a quad core desktop variant without the IGP. Think how insanely small it would be. :oops: They could sell such a chip at like $100 and still turn a profit.

On the flip side they could put out an 8 core chip without IGP and I don't think it would be any bigger than the current 4C+IGP one is. There is plenty of TDP headroom for such a thing.

I just don't think there are too many desktop users buying these i5-i7 models and using the Intel graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help but be a little let down by IVB. Granted it's fast enough for everything and honestly will last us gamers many years because not even the next gen consoles will be as fast. But I sure wish there was a quad core desktop variant without the IGP. Think how insanely small it would be. :oops: They could sell such a chip at like $100 and still turn a profit.

On the flip side they could put out an 8 core chip without IGP and I don't think it would be any bigger than the current 4C+IGP one is. There is plenty of TDP headroom for such a thing.

I just don't think there are too many desktop users buying these i5-i7 models and using the Intel graphics.

Agreed. Although I think 6 cores and 12MB L3 would be the limit at the same dies size. Of course bumping that up to a mammothly powerful 8 cores/16MB L3 still wouldn't be a massive chip.

Yes I'd expect so. And hopefully in an 8 core variant rather than 6 (or both ideally). It'd be nice if they won't be at insane prices like the current SB-E though - albeit highly unlikely.

Yes I'd expect so. And hopefully in an 8 core variant rather than 6 (or both ideally). It'd be nice if they won't be at insane prices like the current SB-E though - albeit highly unlikely.

Unfortunately I bet the closer you get to Xenon spcifications the more likely insane prices will rear their heads.

Back