Safari on Windows

Has anyone here used it yet? I've been trying it out now since the past weekend. I feel it is faster while consuming less computer resources. I'm on an old laptop most of the time and with my other Internet apps (Firefox 2, Opera, IE6) has the fan going almost non stop, with Safari it doesn't make a sound unless i load a new page that is heavy on stuff. But only when loading, so all in all i'm very happy with Safari, also it seems to render text better then windows standard "ClearType" for LCDs, odd.

Opinions, thoughts?

I hadn't noticed much differences in performance, and there should be no reason why a browser is pegging the CPU after loading, except for some annoying Flash or Java ad.

Safari uses Apples's more true to print sub-pixel rendering which makes font look fuzzy and blurred on LCD monitors, compared to the much more legible ClearType.

Actually flash and java works smoother in Safari then on Opera. Before i had a hellish time browsing Engadget and Gamespot because it was slow and non-responsive due to the ads. Could be that my computer is crap (which it is) but i'm very happy about it working better with Safari.

Had a hard time adjusting to the Fuxxy ness of the letters tho, but now i prefer it, softer on the eyes :cool:

What is the version of Safari you are using for Windows? I may want to give it another chance. I remember downloading it a few months ago for Windows and it was complete and utter crap, being a huge resource (in terms of memory) hog just like it is on the Mac.

It's version 3.0.3. I didn't want to touch it untill people stopped shouting about security concerns so i waited untill i got so pissed of at my Opera browser i downloaded it hehe.

Actually flash and java works smoother in Safari then on Opera. Before i had a hellish time browsing Engadget and Gamespot because it was slow and non-responsive due to the ads. Could be that my computer is crap (which it is) but i'm very happy about it working better with Safari.

Had a hard time adjusting to the Fuxxy ness of the letters tho, but now i prefer it, softer on the eyes :cool:

most likely multiple flash plugins are being loaded in opera (which gives the symptomes you describe). For some weird reason, opera has the tendency to load every single flash plugin on the system that it finds (including the ones in firefox or windows folders).

In opera, go to tools -> advanced -> plugins, and see if multiple plugins are loaded. Remove any duplicate entries by deleting the flash files, or remove the folders from the plugin path in opera:config (search for plugin).

It works very well for me, it's generally faster than firefox and IE and also renders pages much better (AA quality is amazing..)
[shameless mode] have a look at my blog with firefox and then with safari, with latter it looks much better[/shameless mode]

Back