Ryzen 5700x a good buy?

I wanted to stop pc gaming and buy a XSX, but I can't buy an XSX so now I'm back to upgrading my nearly 10 year old i7 4770. Unfortunately basically everything is expensive these days and I just don't want to spend a 1000+ just to play games from time to time.

My goal is to have a cpu capable of easily doing 60fps in almost all games (I don't do sims or rts) until the start of the next console generation. I already have a 2070 super so that will probably last me another 1 ~ 2 years.

So I was looking at what is available and reasonably priced. 5800x? pretty expensive. 12600k? even more expensive. 5600x or 12400? not that expensive but with only 6 cores those cpu's just don't feel like that good value for money. Ryzen 7000 and Intel 13th gen are basically stupidly expensive. A 7700x is like 50% more expensive than a 5800x.

But browsing a local seller I spotted the 5700x. It's 3/4 of the price of a 5800x, only 40 buck more than a 5600x and as far as I can tell its basically a 5800x but with a slightly lower base clock. The few reviews I read basically but the performance within 2~3% of a 5800x.

It's 30.000 yen which is cheap in USD but the yen isn't worth shit at the moment...

I was thinking about getting something like this
5700x
Asus TUF B550 (or maybe save ~30 bucks and get an asrock or gigabyte with the same b550 chip?)
16gb 3600mhz CL18 (would it be worth it spending double for 32gb cl16?)
Scythe mugen5 or fuma2 because they are cheap. Haven't really done any research on them but they look fine.
Samsung 980 pro 1tb (or can I get a gen3 nvme and still be good when direct storage etc hit?)

Ignoring the ssd, because I don't absolutely need that at the moment, those parts will be about 50 bucks more than a XSX. Is there a good chance such a system will have no problems hitting 60fps on the cpu side for the next 4 years or so?

I'm looking at upgrading to a 5600 in my B450 mobo, I think a 5700x should do you quite proper. 6 cores is more than enough for gaming, any more is really for content creation/workstation type stuff imho.

I've been using Asrock MBs for a while now and they're generally pretty good. I'm currently using an Asrock Taichi x570, but I also have a budget ITX B350 board in a SFF that fits in carry on luggage. I've had no real issues with them.

The Samsung 980 pro is a really good NVME drive, but you can get a cheaper reliable brand like Crucial/Micron which isn't as fast but will be unnoticeably slower in games. My game drive is using a NVME Crucial (Micron consumer NVME) drive.

With that savings you could get pretty close to a 5800x3D move up to a 5800x3D which would be significantly faster for games. For example in the US the Crucial P3 is less than half the price (and half the max speed) of the Samsung 980 pro. On Amazon that would mean just being about 20 or so USD more to upgrade to a significantly faster 5800x3D.

And that CPU upgrade would be potentially more noticeable in games than the upgrade from the Crucial P3 to the Samsung 980 pro. And that's unlikely to change significantly when Direct Storage games arrive if you consider that the P3 is already faster than the drive in the XBS-X.

Regards,
SB

I ended up buying a 5700X and it's great. If you have the cooling and power extra, you can enable PBO and it's basically a 5800X then as it reaches higher clocks sustained across multiple cores. I run it without PBO as I bought it to run as a 65w TDP CPU and it was a significant drop-in upgrade from my Ryzen 2600X.

@Silent_Buddha unfortunately pricing in Japan is kind of weird. I could swap the Samsung for a gen3 nvme and save like 80 bucks. But that is basically the price difference between the 5700x and 5800x. The 58003D is actually twice as expensive as the 5700x.

I don't think the P3 is sold in Japan but there is the P5 with 3400/3000 for almost half of the 980 pro.

Ignoring the ssd, because I don't absolutely need that at the moment, those parts will be about 50 bucks more than a XSX. Is there a good chance such a system will have no problems hitting 60fps on the cpu side for the next 4 years or so?

5700x/2070 super (maybe oc it abit) is ballpark XSX performance, advantage in RT and you havr dlss. You shouldnt have much trouble reaching xsx level performance, probably the setup will have some advantages due to cpu (higher clocked zen3).
Almost all xbox games are pc aswell so you should be ok.

Seems like a good price I believe its $180 at microcenter right now. I think a 5800 would get you better binning and higher over clocks but not sure if its worth the price difference

Should be fine. As mentioned, it is significantly faster than the XSX or PS5.

I also vote that you save some money and get a cheaper SSD. Especially if the P5 is like half the price.

DirectStorage has arrived already. I have a NVMe although not the most modern one but it has 2TB of disk space. Load times from launch to main menu are almost immediate. Highly recommended for present and future use. Mine cost 150€.

As for the CPU, it's more than enough as others mentioned. I have a 3700X and it runs 99,9% of games at 60fps with ease, just imagine the 5700X.

Other considerations could be if the mobo supports DDR5 or whether you want it or not. DDR5 single channel is the same as DDR4 dual channel, that's why if you use two DDR5 chips of the same size it's called quad--channel. So a single DDR5 RAM module could be enough. However, you might not need it, maybe. 32GB of DDR4 could be more interesting because DDR5 memory and the mobos that support DDR5 are quite more expensive.

The GPU is enough for a couple of years, and you have DLSS which DF recommends using over native resolution, because it enhances the image in other ways native can't -on quality and ultra quality modes specially-.

With 400$ to 500$ you can build one heck of a PC nowadays.

Keep us tuned.

Last edited:
I wonder how much it would cost to ship you an nvme. micro center has a 1TB for $50
I don't think it'll be worth it, there are some 1tb m2's for around $50 around here as well.

I think I might go for the SK Hynix P41 500gb. It's around $80 and ~$20 cheaper than the 980pro 512gb. Apparently its even a bit faster. Seems like a reasonable comprise as I usually only have 1 or 2 games installed anyway so I don't necessarily need 1tb.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship you an nvme. micro center has a 1TB for $50
I shipped some of my old PC hardware internationally to a fellow B3Der one time, and it was expensive. Of course the shipping was cheap, but there were a bunch of undecipherable fees. Even after I thought I'd payed all the fees, it got caught up in customs or something, and I had to pay more fees for them to release it. Then he had to pay even more fees to receive it, despite me doing everything I could to make it completely free for him. In total between the two of us it cost like $150 o_O

I'm using 5600x with stock cooler (so it's ALWAYS thermally throttle) and it already can do 120fps and more just fine, as long as I run games at low and without RT and lower than 4k (via dlss) on my puny rtx 3070.

So 5700x should be really good as it also have much better single thread performance

A 5700x is comfortably ahead of a 3700x (~15%), which in turn is substantially faster than the CPU's in the next gen consoles (4x the L3, 10-15% higher all-core clocks). So you're pretty much set for this console generation.

If its any worth, 5800h in my laptop is very capable, more capable than the consoles (baseline), guess the 5700x is actually faster than that even.

Back