Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

If I were crytek I'd be taking a serious look at the present success of GOW4.

Funny you should mention that. I just spotted these today.

Ryse was a launch title. The Cryengine obviously works a little better on XB1 hardware today. And with XB1X enhancements, I have to believe that they could surpass GOW4 without too much trouble. Visually, anyway.

I kind of like the color use in Ryse better. Has a more CG look, which is also the look that the older GoW build had.
I think the video comparison would have been more interesting if it was comparing similar environments but the majority of the footage from GoW is in snowy environments vs the forests in Ryse

Another similarity between Ryse and GOW that I've noticed.

Prompts in combat. Except instead of colored markers on top of characters heads (must dodge, must block, or execute), they are colored circles that close in on the enemy. Yellow circle for (you can parry or dodge, but blocks will be broken) and Red circle for (you can only dodge), and another prompt for executions (this one isn't an animated colored circle).

Combat of course is completely different (free roaming vs. a Batman: AA style). But it was still interesting.

Regards,
SB

Why not just run the PC version on max then? Graphics have more to do with art and talent than number of pixels and teraflops.

But i don't agree with your point on art. Artists are limited by technical limitations.

If that wasn't the case, then PS2 games could just look as good as modern games just because of art.

In my opinion, it's a strawman argument made by people that want to downplay good graphics as something that isn't impressive by itself.

Edit : the video may have some spoilers, i didn't watch it.

Ryse is a beautiful game that I play on my original xbox one. The game on harder difficulties were enjoyable and hopefully some how we get a sequel. But I am not sure why we are comparing it to god of war. Ryse was a launch game from what 4 years ago with a smaller budget than God of war.

People on commenting on how well the game did visually/how little we've progressed, I guess.

The progression is that we had one game like this back in 2013. Now almost every game looks as good. Also as much as I love this game , new games like shadow of war , farcry 5 , god of war all do a lot more than this game in terms of game play.

I kind of like the color use in Ryse better.
I think the lighting artist of Ryse has a lot to do with it. The British isles part of the game is a sight to behold, specially that dark forest where you can see a long strange figure in the distance. It is amazing.

My "post-mortem" thought after playing this game maxed out on PC some ~3 years ago is that it was a very nice showcase for the engine and hardware capabilities and little more than that.

It could have been interesting to make a full franchise out of this. Sequels could evolve the gameplay and we could grow into the established mythos, but it seems that Crytek at the time was more focused in not letting Microsoft have the franchise than they were in creating a long-running series.

The story can't really go anywhere else at the end of the game. I really liked the narrative aspect of having the deities using small and discreet appearances to influence the grand scheme of things and that could have been a main topic throughout the series.

With the current Crytek being but a shell of its former self both in size (in 2013 they had 9 studios, now they have 3) and talent (e.g. Tiago Sousa), I wonder if they even have the means to make a game like Ryse or Crysis anymore.

The wikipedia page tells me they still have over 500 employees in their Frankfurt, Kiev and Istanbul studios. Some of them are probably iterating on CryEngine, others are working on Hunt: Showdown which doesn't seem to be getting great feedback on Steam Early Access.. I wonder what the rest of them are doing.

Maybe just posting a pic because it's a cool model/statue
That's exactly what happened.

Back