Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Glad to see people enjoying Ryse now that it is out on Pc. It got alot of undeserved bad ratings for the Xbox One. It is the most beautiful game on the XB1 and one of the most on Pc.

Finished this recently, it's hands down the best looking thing I've ever played, peaking at the wickerman fight IMO. Gameplay, story and especially production values were all really good too. I was just a little disappointed with the ending which IMO
definitely lacked sufficient interactivity and could have been a bit happier.

I loved the ending :) what a way to finish it from an action movie perspective it was pretty bad ass lol.

Finished this recently, it's hands down the best looking thing I've ever played, peaking at the wickerman fight IMO. Gameplay, story and especially production values were all really good too. I was just a little disappointed with the ending which IMO
definitely lacked sufficient interactivity and could have been a bit happier.

I'm glad more people are getting a chance to experience this game and the gorgeous graphics. By far the best looking game available on any platform for 2014, IMO. Not perfect (2d falling water that didn't interact with the player for example) but absolutely gorgeous as a whole.

Yeah, I didn't dig the QTE corridor at the end of the game, either. But enjoyed the gameplay during the rest so I can forgive it somewhat for having that one horrible section. I know they were going for something cinematic that still had player input, but bleh.

Regards,
SB

I
Yeah, I didn't dig the QTE corridor at the end of the game, either. But enjoyed the gameplay during the rest so I can forgive it somewhat for having that one horrible section. I know they were going for something cinematic that still had player input, but bleh.

Regards,
SB

Yeah more than happy to forgive them for that given the rest of the game. I'm still quite confused about the poor rating it received. It's more or less the only game I've ever played where I've seriously considered just upping the difficulty level (to max at that) and playing it again as soon as I'd finished.

Although it's short length contributed to that as well.

But yeah, this is easily the best looking game I've ever played (BF4 looks possibly as good I think but I've only seen it on YT), as much credit as it gets for it's graphics, it's not enough. Crytek really are the masters of graphics.

Yeah more than happy to forgive them for that given the rest of the game. I'm still quite confused about the poor rating it received. It's more or less the only game I've ever played where I've seriously considered just upping the difficulty level (to max at that) and playing it again as soon as I'd finished.

Although it's short length contributed to that as well.

But yeah, this is easily the best looking game I've ever played (BF4 looks possibly as good I think but I've only seen it on YT), as much credit as it gets for it's graphics, it's not enough. Crytek really are the masters of graphics.

Yeah, not sure about the poor rating. From people that have actually played the game, it's hard to find many that were as disappointed with the gameplay as many of the reviewers. It's definitely true that at normal difficulty (what should have been called easy/novice) the game is too easy and you generally don't need to use the more advanced tactics or moves available in the game. So that may have been part of it. Part of it may have also been that it was on the XBO, but that's not something that could be quantified or proved.

I'd lean more toward the default difficulty being viewed as an insult by more "core" gamers who would have been better served if the normal (default) difficulty was one of the higher ones. And thus getting reviewed unkindly.

Regards,
SB

I concur this is the best looking game to date on any platform right now. I'm running it at 4k on my PC and it's absolutely crisp and clear. I used to think AC:Unity was the best looking game, but after I picked up Ryse last week, it just took that spot for me. I'm hoping I will enjoy the gameplay as much as I do the graphics. The combat seems pretty lacking in the fun department so far. Hopefully more options will open up and make it more fun.

So I picked it up on the XB1 for $9 on CDKeys. Does the game change as it goes on? The combat is that Batman style hit the same few buttons over and over, just get the tempo right sort of thing I don't like. Does it get more fun?

So I picked it up on the XB1 for $9 on CDKeys. Does the game change as it goes on? The combat is that Batman style hit the same few buttons over and over, just get the tempo right sort of thing I don't like. Does it get more fun?
Sadly, to increase the fun you have to self increase the challenge. Changing the execution style lets you do different things, leaving the execution on health is pretty boring. But swapping between focus, XP, damage and health makes it more varied and you see different executions. I like to setup doubles a lot and look for environments to execute people off. It's a bit like solitaire, the game is much more demanding on harder difficulties. That's about it. It doesn't have any more depth than that, I guess it's just sit back and enjoy the story and the executions.

but my feeling towards 3D Vision atm is that it's basically dead.
Did your enthusiasm for it ever wane (support non withstanding) you were pretty much b3d's evangelist for 3d?
ps: I had the choice of 3d or multi monitor and went multi monitor since you have both do you think I made the right choice ?

Bought the game during the Steam sales this Christmas and I just finished it, within 8 hours or so.

The graphics are generally very good even for today's standards, but the ridiculously narrow FoV during gameplay gave me the feeling that I was looking at the game through a tube. Maybe Crytek had to make this by design for it to fit the XBone without too many slowdowns, but I see no reason not to put a FoV slider for the PC.

Gameplay feels great during the first hour or so but then descends into being very repetitive. Specially once you find out you can practically count the types of enemies with one hand (skinny guys with/without shield, fat guys with shield, dual-wielding skinny guys, tall muscular guys with hammer).
The finishing moves with QTEs feel awkward as hell because we can use one button for everything, so I kept thinking what was the point to it. Was there any difference in hitting the enemies with different buttons when they were glowing blue or yellow? I couldn't find out and at a certain point I didn't even care. Maybe this was an interesting part of gameplay when the game was a Kinect title, but with buttons it just seems pointless after a while.
BTW, what the hell was that ending? A 5 minute QTE-on-rails? Who on earth thought that would be fun to play?

The FMVs seemed ridiculous, since they looked just like the gameplay but with compression artifacts due to poor video encoding. Again, probably something that was required for the XBone but maybe we could've had the option to use in-game graphics in the PC.

The story is nice-ish.. It's definitely a huge nod to Russel Crowe's Gladiator, even with the bit of supernatural deities just like the shelved Gladiator sequel supposedly written by Nick Cave. Ryse's main character is Marius, which is the name of Maximus' son in Gladiator. Marius in Ryse fights the same Commodus as Maximus in the same place: the arena. That's fine, I like that. What I didn't like was the fact that the story had like 6 actual characters and none of them was terribly interesting. Perhaps it was their intention to develop Marius only in this first game and then expand the other characters for a couple of sequels. But with all non-F2P titles reportedly being shelved by Crytek, this is probably not going to happen.

In the end, I'd say this is the Meh-est game I played in the last year or so, if you take away all the endless 2D sidescroller indies that appear in PS Plus and I dare to try once in a while.

The default difficulty is also ridiculously low. You really need to play it at a higher difficulty and that should have been standard. It's similar to Diablo 3 where Normal = snorefest. Hard = easy as pie mode. Expert = easy mode. Master = finally this should have been normal mode.

Just like Diablo 3, if anyone plays this at default difficulty, it's going to be a snorefest other than just appreciating the graphics. The game, and the combat mechanics don't shine until you up the difficulty to where it should be.

Regards,
SB

My problems with gameplay are with the lack of enemy variety and repetitive QTE finishing moves + QTE destroying traps + whole-friggin'-QTE-ending.
The ending is literally just a succession of QTEs with a single button.

I don't have any problems with the game being easy.

Yeah, I don't like that either. It's also why I don't like the God of War series as well as the original Witcher until they took out the QTEs.

But at least in Ryse you don't HAVE to do the QTEs to finish off anything other than the last stupid on rails section.

Regards,
SB

I don't remember what difficulty I played it on. I might as well up it and try it again. It's just sitting on the shelf mocking me anyway.

My problems with gameplay are with the lack of enemy variety and repetitive QTE finishing moves + QTE destroying traps + whole-friggin'-QTE-ending.
The ending is literally just a succession of QTEs with a single button.

I don't have any problems with the game being easy.
Not going to lie much about it. The ending was perhaps the most favourite part of the game at that point in time. It was literally just killing shit like a movie.

How shocking and impactful it was to see something like Ryse on Xbox One back in 2013, I have not felt something like that it with any other game of this generation ever since.

It seems to me that in that sense Ryse is one of those games that will pass the test of time very well. I have not yet seen any game that would astonish me as much as this.

4202945_orig.jpg

survival-forest-3.jpg

blackforest01.jpg

Ryse-Son-Of-Rome-PC-Forest.jpg

background_visual_2.jpg

env_for_2.jpg

env_for_1.jpg

ryse_sherwood_forest.jpg

Honestly looks pretty dated now, quite a few open world game already look much better and with more advanced techs. For a narrow corridor linear game I have way higher expectations these days after seeing some of the new benchmarks. But for a launch title it certainly shined for its time, too bad the game didn't do well critically otherwise we would have a much more improved Ryse 2 by now.

Back