RSX evolution

does anybody have some infos or news about when the first ps3 consoles with the new 65nm nvidia rsx gpu will arrive in stores?

or is it confirmed, that the recently announced new 80gb model will contain it or something like that?

does anybody have some infos or news about when the first ps3 consoles with the new 65nm nvidia rsx gpu will arrive in stores?

or is it confirmed, that the recently announced new 80gb model will contain it or something like that?

There is no new information; hard drive size changes don't augur anything else related to the console.

All information provided by Sony indicates the spec of the new 80GB version is exactly the same as the former 40GB version, i.e. the 3rd generation. Unconfirmed rumours meanwhile suggest the former 80GB model (the 2nd generation of PS3) has gone out of production. If SCE sticks to its 2-model policy we may see an announcement of a new model soon, perhaps at the Leipzig convention in August for instance.

All information provided by Sony indicates the spec of the new 80GB version is exactly the same as the former 40GB version, i.e. the 3rd generation. Unconfirmed rumours meanwhile suggest the former 80GB model (the 2nd generation of PS3) has gone out of production. If SCE sticks to its 2-model policy we may see an announcement of a new model soon, perhaps at the Leipzig convention in August for instance.

I would think they would want to keep a SKU with the extra USB ports, card readers, and even bigger HDD available to consumers. Even w/o BC. Of course, w/o BC, the premium they can charge (and still be a commercially successful model) is likely lower unless the size of the hard drive is substantially bigger. 160GB would be a good starting point I think. If using the next iteration of the Cell, RSX, and power supply, while keeping a $100 premium, it may be even closer to a break even (or profitable) SKU for them.

All information provided by Sony indicates the spec of the new 80GB version is exactly the same as the former 40GB version, i.e. the 3rd generation. Unconfirmed rumours meanwhile suggest the former 80GB model (the 2nd generation of PS3) has gone out of production.

Yes, but they didn't say or announce that the new (at that time) 40gb ps3 will have the new (at that time) 65nm cell, too, didn't they? They only did after the release, didn't they? So, it's likely that they don't announce that the to be released 80gb ps3 will have the new 65nm rsx, isn't it?

In the end it's likely to have to wait for the release. Would be nice though, if the to be released 80gb ps3 will already have the new 65nm rsx. Could be one reason they will offer more hdd space at the same price then.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason to offer more HDD space at the same price is because the minimum cost of an HDD doesn't go down below a certain point, but capacity increases. Basically, an 80GB drive now costs the same as a 60GB drive (and possibly even less!), so there ain't no point using 60 GB HDDs still. A 65nm RSX would either result in less loss per unit for Sony, or a price cut, and no other changes.

The new 80gb ps3 is available now. At least in europe it is.

Any news about the new 65nm nvidia rsx gpu now? Does the 80gb ps3 have it?

People here tested a 80GB Core PS3 model CECHK01:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&p=12626558

80GB PS3 Core -
* XMB idle - 111.9 watts
* DVD playback - 126.0 watts
* Game (MGS4) - 130.0 watts

40GB PS3 Core -
* XMB idle - 125.8 watts
* DVD playback - 141.2 watts
* Game (MGS4) - 155.2 watts

80GB PS3 MGS4 Bundle -
* XMB idle - 180 watts
* DVD playback - 197 watts
* Game (MGS4) - 200 watts

However, the latest PS3 FCC submission is for model CECHL01. I was assuming that's the new 80GB PS3 models. 65nm RSX? :rolleyes:

Those wattage numbers would hint into savings being gpu related. At least that's how I read it. 15W saving when doing non gpu intensive stuff, 25W saving in mgs(gpu intensive stuff). Surprisingly little saving from 65nm gpu if that really is inside 80GB ps3.

If it is, we're looking at serious issues for next-gen hardware. Power and heat just aren't scaling back well.

If it is, we're looking at serious issues for next-gen hardware. Power and heat just aren't scaling back well.

New steppings of the cpu and gpu along with a new motherboard is my guess. I don't think either ms nor sony will be moving the gpus to 65nm this year. They are both gonig to sell a few million of these in the next few months so they will most likely want to go with something they know they can build lots of .

They were probably guessing the first one and have updated after verifying. 65nm GPUs for both consoles are taking a long time to appear! They've supposedly been in production for months

There's 90nm inventory to work through. But even if we could say that the 65nm RSX was saving 15W under idle conditions and 25W under load, these would be very appreciable thermal savings.

From 07-Feb-2008:

IBM presents 45nm Cell B.E. at ISSCC

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/582

IBM shrinks Cell to 45nm. Cheaper PS3s will follow

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080207-ibm-shrinks-cell-to-45nm-cheaper-ps3s-will-follow.html

Other threads in this forum:

ISSCC08: 45 nm Cell is 115mm²consumes less than 20 watts

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=47022

IBM to manufacture Cell on 45nm SOI, Sony/Toshiba to move to 45nm bulk process

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=44858

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about buying myself a PS3 later this year, probably nearer Christmas (admittedly as much for Blu-Ray as gaming) and, as I hadn't been keeping up with the state of the hardware, I searched out this thread.

Got to say I'm sorry to hear that RSX is still on 90nm even after all this time, especially when you consider that even modern budget GPUs are on the 55nm process! I'm on a power-saving kick at the moment and was hoping we'd be seeing a PS3 with 45nm Cell/RSX before long, let alone 65nm!

Too much to hope for a 45nm Cell/65nm RSX combo before Christmas, I suppose?

Haven't there been some rumours about a new PS3 with smaller casing? I think the current beast is pretty ugly to be honest and something smaller and sleeker would be good for me.

None of the consoles are demonstrating great process shrinks. A 45/65 is up in the air at the moment. It's on the cards, and we've heard of these components being made, but when they'll actually appear on the shelves, no-one knows. A smaller box is not likely any time soon. The PS1 and PS2 shrinks occurred well into those console's lives, and not after all of 2 years.

Back