Sony Cell BE / RSX shrink & integration roadmap

I'm still on my EU BC launch 60GB PS3. It's died and been fixed once, and as of now it's looking like it won't survive the summer.

Trying to play Skyrim is bloody annoying, I boot the game up, wait wait wait till the title screen comes up. I load my game, wait wait wait for it to finish loading. The unit's fan suddenly spins up to sound like a flippin' turbine or a jet engine (actually, I've actually commissioned small gas turbines that are quieter than my PS3). I'm in the game. I play for about 5 mins, a gruelling 5mins of not being able to hear anything as all sound in the room is being overpowered by the sound of my PS3's fan, and then the PS3 overheats and I have to save and switch off. Rinse and repeat for about an hour and a half, with short intermissions of me making futile attempts to fan fresh air into my living room, and you have a typical play session for me now.

If Sony announce a new even slimmer PS3 at Gamescom, then screw BC I'm getting a new one :)

I'm still on my EU BC launch 60GB PS3. It's died and been fixed once, and as of now it's looking like it won't survive the summer.

Trying to play Skyrim is bloody annoying, I boot the game up, wait wait wait till the title screen comes up. I load my game, wait wait wait for it to finish loading. The unit's fan suddenly spins up to sound like a flippin' turbine or a jet engine (actually, I've actually commissioned small gas turbines that are quieter than my PS3). I'm in the game. I play for about 5 mins, a gruelling 5mins of not being able to hear anything as all sound in the room is being overpowered by the sound of my PS3's fan, and then the PS3 overheats and I have to save and switch off. Rinse and repeat for about an hour and a half, with short intermissions of me making futile attempts to fan fresh air into my living room, and you have a typical play session for me now.

If Sony announce a new even slimmer PS3 at Gamescom, then screw BC I'm getting a new one :)

It might just need a good clean out and a new batch of thermal paste.

I did the same but with the slim. I went through 2 ps3 fats with BC. Kinda wish I didnt do it they are worth a lot of money now. BTW they offer $50 to switch to a slim.

I've still got a fully working fat boxed up in the attic. Kind of hung onto it in case the slim ever dies.

Nope. Check out a YouTube vid. Just unscrew various comonents, clean off the old paste, apply your replacement, and put it all back together.

I did this as well, although I used the ifixit guide in tandem.
It really made a difference, and I barely hear the fans now.

Like the have mentioned there are a number of Good videos available. Just make sure you've got all the bits you need. Small and medium Philips screwdrivers, thermal paste ( i use arctic silver myself), some thermal paste remover and some purified water to clean the heatsink and spreaders with. I also use a kitchen sponge cut up into quarters for cleaning the old paste of with. I tend to keep a little stick magnet with me as well. You can attach it to the side of a screw driver to help remove hard to reach screws.

Always make sure you are static free as well.

Stacking two high-wattage ASICs on top of each other would be fatal, from a heat-management perspective. Especially with additional interposers as used in the vita.

Stacking two high-wattage ASICs on top of each other would be fatal, from a heat-management perspective. Especially with additional interposers as used in the vita.

Cell & RSX side by side in a SOC with the Memory stacked on top ?

Surely it would depend on how high wattage they are right? Pehaps not for 3D stacking of the two ASICs ontop of each other, but side by side like that good chap above me said?

If they got down to 28nm for CELL and RSX what would the power consumption be like?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/elizabeth-gerhard/45/718/7b7

Saw this on DF. Sony skipping 28nm straight to 22nm?

PlayStation 3
Team Members: Elizabeth Gerhard
- Owned the array design for a 1.6GHz TLB array in the 90nm node.
- Co-owned the delivery of a 128K custom L2 Cache array in the 90nm node.
- Led a team that delivered the L2cache array macro in the 65nm and 45nm nodes.
- Owned the register file cell qualification analysis in the 22nm node
- Owned the design of a 3.2GHz one read one write custom register file array in the 22nm node.

Back