RSX - Best guess at what 300 million trannies are for

Status
Not open for further replies.
hofstee45ti.jpg

CELL<=>RSX

Two-way comms and this image has been posted so many times, that it's still surprsing many people! So I'll post it again! :p

Shifty Geezer said:
....and Cell can help that with bits of raytracing and goodness knows what else.

Raytracing is a poor example as Cell is unlikely to be any good at that. But heavily dynamic vertex work and post-processing are obvious candidates as SPE workloads.

Cheers
Gubbi

Jaws said:
CELL<=>RSX

Two-way comms and this image has been posted so many times, that it's still surprsing many people! So I'll post it again! :p

Well as the person who wrote the slide has clearly never been near a console renderer in his life... You have to forgive people ignoring it as complete rubbish.

Almost every console has used CPU<->GPU communication, I've personally seen PS1, PS2 and Xbox titles read the framebuffer produced by the GPU (generally for light occulusion).

Well said Shifty. And thanks for everyone explaining this. Members here and vistors need to see what the truth is. Why is it that everytime Sony shows something the nay sayers never give Sony credit.

Example 1: One plenty of boards weeks ago the nay sayers were saying that using Blu-Ray would be a horrible idea and going with DVD would be better. Now that they know that PS3 will have Blu-Ray I don't see you anybody disagreeing anymore.

Example 2: The nay sayers were saying over and over how Killzone's demo was totally fake and all CGI. They said that the game can't and won't possibly do that. They said that graphics like that aren't possible until the PS4 is released. Now that the two Sony executives said that its real on G4TV Live in front of millions of people and TV host that rate games on the biggest videogame network in America, the nay sayers are quite and not saying any thing.

Example 3: This new discovery with the GPU. At first in this very thread if you start from the beginning the nay sayers are giving ways and examples about how the GPU in X360 could be the same if not better than the RSX. Now that one and others gave us that info the nay sayers are quite again (except PC-Engine of course).

Whats up? I thought that all of us wanted the best in videogames because we are true gamers. Why not complement the Cell<=>GPU?

Gubbi said:
Raytracing is a poor example as Cell is unlikely to be any good at that. But heavily dynamic vertex work and post-processing are obvious candidates as SPE workloads.
As shown in the realtime raytraced landscape demo! :D I'm not talking whole raytraced scenes, but certain components. eg. Raytraced reflections/refractions on some surfaces as needed. Who knows what they'll do with it? It's just a nice option IMO. I'd rather have the option then not, even if it's never used.

Raytracing is a poor example as Cell is unlikely to be any good at that.
I wouldn't say that. CELL would be excellent as a raytracing chip mainly because you have no real troubles parallelizing raytracing. Also individual tests are relatively small and require little data, so they can fit very comfortably into an apulet. And having common vector ops (dot products) as native instructions can count for quite a bit. Recursion would be the real problem, but you can write something that is inherently recursion-limited to be iterative without much of a problem.

As far as whether CELL can make for a good realtime raytracer that runs at 1920x1080 resolution and looks far better than what you can pull off with the GPU? That I doubt. It's not so much "not good at" and "not enough."

DeanoC said:
Jaws said:
CELL<=>RSX

Well as the person who wrote the slide has clearly never been near a console renderer in his life... You have to forgive people ignoring it as complete rubbish.

Almost every console has used CPU<->GPU communication, I've personally seen PS1, PS2 and Xbox titles read the framebuffer produced by the GPU (generally for light occulusion).

Yeah that is true...but to be fair, I think Hofstee was showing CELL+FlexIO capabilities but in the context of his whole presentation, he was comparing pre PCI-E architectures...

But I posted it, because in recent days with the PS3 demos, it seems this concept is difficult to grasp...and surprising to many... :p

mckmas8808 said:
Example 2: The nay sayers were saying over and over how Killzone's demo was totally fake and all CGI. They said that the game can't and won't possibly do that. They said that graphics like that aren't possible until the PS4 is released. Now that the two Sony executives said that its real on G4TV Live in front of millions of people and TV host that rate games on the biggest videogame network in America, the nay sayers are quite and not saying any thing.

Why do you have to bring this up on every thread. The fact is it's not going to end up looking that good. It doesn't matter what the Sony Executives said. Maybe people are tired of arguing about this with you since it's obvious that the whole thing is too hard for you to understand and you have already locked your opinion so there is little anyone can say to change your mind, maybe it's time to just drop this and come back when the games are released, then we can bash each other to hell, if that's what you are after.

ShootMyMonkey said:
Raytracing is a poor example as Cell is unlikely to be any good at that.
I wouldn't say that. CELL would be excellent as a raytracing chip mainly because you have no real troubles parallelizing raytracing. Also individual tests are relatively small and require little data, so they can fit very comfortably into an apulet. And having common vector ops (dot products) as native instructions can count for quite a bit.
Right, but only for primary rays.

ShootMyMonkey said:
Recursion would be the real problem, but you can write something that is inherently recursion-limited to be iterative without much of a problem.

But if you're only dealing with primary rays, there's little point in using raytracing in the first place.

It is exactly the pointer chasing of a space decomposition structure that is a poor fit for the SPEs when dealing with reflected and refracted rays (I want diffraction too!! :) ).

Otherwise it's like the raytracing-on-GPU paper, which is hella cool because of the "Hey, let's do it because we can"-factor, and otherwise totally useless.

Cheers
Gubbi

The fact is it's not going to end up looking that good. It doesn't matter what the Sony Executives said.

Oh ok. Thats a weird comment to make. I guess I should believe some random people on the internet with nothing attached to the game over executives that work and have seen the game being made from ground up.

On topic: I guess this is the result of the CPU properly communicating with the GPU with graphics that makes you believe that its real. It seems like believeablity (not a real word) is going to be key next-gen.

ps3_r20.jpg

ps3_r21.jpg

mckmas8808 said:
The fact is it's not going to end up looking that good. It doesn't matter what the Sony Executives said.

Oh ok. Thats a weird comment to make. I guess I should believe some random people on the internet with nothing attached to the game over executives that work and have seen the game being made from ground up.
It's in the executives best interests to convince people to buy their product. They're not necessarily going to outright lie as that bad PR, but they can be economical with the truth. In contrast, some of these 'random people on the net' are associated with industry or work with graphics technologies or have some area of knowledge/expertise that others don't. That's why these open debates are important IMO as the provide different opinions that show no one argument can be taken as FACT until the real facts are released.

Regards that nameless shooter that everyone was impressed by, there were those impressed, folowed by those skeptical, debate as to whether or not it was 'real', and all this oublic discussion prompted journos to interview the Sony execs, who explained themselves. So we know it's not true real-time, but created with PS3 art assets as a hopeful recreation of what developers (Guerrila in this case) are hopeful going to be producing somewhere in the console's life. There's room for disappointment in this as well as room for success.

mckmas8808 said:
Well said Shifty. And thanks for everyone explaining this. Members here and vistors need to see what the truth is. Why is it that everytime Sony shows something the nay sayers never give Sony credit.

WHY ARE YOU TROLLING EVERY THREAD WITH THIS?

And if you have not caught on yet, no one knows--yes, not even you--what the final product will look like. There is no PS3 yet. That are targets and were rendered. Phill Harrison confirmed that much. The question is if a PR guy, who has the job of hyping his machine, will live up to his promises. We have the dang quotes so you can drop it because for now Killzone, PGR3, Motor Storm, etc... are all renders of some type.

It is up to the developers to prove the final HW can do it. SO STOP TROLLING THIS ON EVERY THREAD.

Shifty Geezer said:
This also contradicts PCE's ideas that Sony have used an off the shelf GPU as a last-minute fix. If the G70 is an off the shelf PC component, but it can't run without Cell's help, it wouldn't do too well in the PC space would it? Or did Sony customise the chip for PS3 by removing fucntionality?
Good find :LOL:

mckmas8808 said:

Killzone is rendered.
It's just that Sony obviously doesn't allow anyone in the know to proove it, and noone wants these guys to get into trouble. But I'm sure that sooner or later we'll have proof.

Edit: oh, just read the rest of the thread. Sorry for jumping to the bait ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back