RSX - Best guess at what 300 million trannies are for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, how hard would it be for MS to push the next DX version towards the exact specification (or is that already set in stone?) of the Xbox360 GPU. Then let their marketing guys go to town with that: "we have the next Dx version GPU, they have last Dx generation GPU... etc."

If they are in the mindset of "being at war" with Sony, wouldn't that be something of a legit (but underhanded) strategy?

satriales said:
london-boy said:
I think the best way to see the difference is in the videos, HDR really makes things look so much more realistic and non-videogame-like it's unbelievable, i never thought much of it before seeing these presentations, then it hit me.

I watched the Sony conference and was amazed at how realistic Fight Night looked and then saw DOA4 at the microsoft conference and thought "this looks like a game".

The difference is huge.

lol way to compare two completely different games.

kofman said:
satriales said:
london-boy said:
I think the best way to see the difference is in the videos, HDR really makes things look so much more realistic and non-videogame-like it's unbelievable, i never thought much of it before seeing these presentations, then it hit me.

I watched the Sony conference and was amazed at how realistic Fight Night looked and then saw DOA4 at the microsoft conference and thought "this looks like a game".

The difference is huge.

lol way to compare two completely different games.

hahahaha yeah. worst comparison ever, and for a million different reasons.

I think he means the lighting of Doc Oc. Having worked in offline 3D I was impressed at HDR illumination of that quality.

As i said, it finally hit me how much more realistic HDR makes things look.

Out of all the X360 games i saw, the ones i think are using HDR were GOW and PGR3 and they were the best looking by far. Obviously not only because of HDR, it must be said.

HDR makes everything non-HDR stuff look totally flat.

I was looking at the new Shadow of the Colossus videos last night and i kept thinking how much better it would look if only it had HDR.

Acert93 said:
On paper the R500 sounds very powerful based on the leak (which has been almost dead accurate), a good 2x powerful or more in shader performance compared to current top end GPUs Simiarly the RSX is sounding like 2.5x as poweful. But it really is the features... the HDR effects Nvidia showed made their CGIs look out of this world.

In that regards I would rather have a slightly slower GPU with killer features than just a faster one. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

I would be very suprised if the R500 does not support FP-blending too - FP-blending is a standard feature for future desktop chips from Ati (and current NVIDIA chips).

london-boy said:
As i said, it finally hit me how much more realistic HDR makes things look.

Out of all the X360 games i saw, the ones i think are using HDR were GOW and PGR3 and they were the best looking by far. Obviously not only because of HDR, it must be said.

HDR makes everything non-HDR stuff look totally flat.

I was looking at the new Shadow of the Colossus videos last night and i kept thinking how much better it would look if only it had HDR.

Thing is I don't think you know the difference between HDR and other forms of lighting like PRT and SH.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
Thing is I don't think you know the difference between HDR and other forms of lighting like PRT and SH.

Your point? We're talking about what we saw so far.

Well you're saying GOW and PGR3 uses HDR which isn't really accurate because you don't know what they're really using.

PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

Well you're saying GOW and PGR3 uses HDR which isn't really accurate because you don't know what they're really using.

Sorry, i just made an assumption.
Point is, whatever they use, they look much more realistic than games using old vanilla 32-bit rendering, like current gen games.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

Sorry, i just made an assumption.
Point is, whatever they use, they look much more realistic than games using old vanilla 32-bit rendering, like current gen games.

Using Spherical Harmonics will give you very nice looking images similar to GI. Same with PRT.

PC-Engine said:
Using Spherical Harmonics will give you very nice looking images similar to GI. Same with PRT.

Well that's good.
It will be interesting to see how different lighting systems will look in the new games.

PC-Engine said:
PRT = What people call Spherical Harmonics.
The most common method used for Precomputed Radiance Transfer is to render light maps using Spherical Harmonics (SHLM).
The problem with this tech is the better the SHLM are and the bigger the memory footprint is. Without talking about the lighting "incoherences" (For a lack of a better word) that happen here and there.

london-boy said:
It will be interesting to see how different lighting systems will look in the new games.
Rare's Xbox Conker L&R uses PRT for the main character, it looks very good.

BTW, about the HDR/MDR, what's the precision of the R500 framebuffer, 64bits or 128bits?

Mikage said:
"PS3 has not only 1 GPU, but 1+7 GPUs."
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050519/ps3_r.htm

David Kirk (nVIDIA) said:

1)RSX can use XDR-RAM(256MB) as VRAM too.

2)7 SPEs and RSX can work togehter as total GPU. SPE as vertex shader
,post processing a rendering reslut from RSX etc...

Sorry, my english is poor. I expect Mr. one will translate this article.
The first point was already know; Sony offered the figures themselves for the read/write bandwidth between RSX and the XDR-DRAM. The second point isn't too surprising if one thinks about displacement mapping and vertex textures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back