RPCS3 emulator, the PS3 is seriously starting to be emulated!

never thought those textures looked that good, ever. In fact the praised Killzone 2 looked to me like a brown and grey mess of pixels and never got the hype and drooling over it. The difference can be seen in the video above. It's the same game but they look like totally different games when played at 4k! :oops::oops:Interesting tweet btw.

Haven't they got it wrong with pixel counting though? They say in the article that playing those games at "triple the resolution"... 4K -according to DF- is 4 1080p screens, so 4k is is like 9 720p screens
Killzone 2 was impressive because of the lighting, physics and effects. Not so much the textures ; it had quincunx AA and tons of post processing to cover them up.

Performance wasn't good though.

"That's because many PS3 titles stored extremely high-resolution assets on the PS3's Blu-Ray discs, then crushed those textures down for faster processing by the console.", I expect in future they wont be doing that thenThat explains it then

That was exactly why I posted the article. I was just too lazy to copy and paste that part while posting from a phone. :runaway:

PS1 competing against PS4 games doesnt sound normal. People wouldnt have been buying PS4's if they werent interested in PS4 games
Everyone has x hours of gaming time. If you spend those x hours playing your old library, you won't have time to play new games. There will definitely be a real financial impact of providing free BC to your existing library, and potentially depending on per-title profit margins selling old games.

Everyone has x hours of gaming time. If you spend those x hours playing your old library, you won't have time to play new games. There will definitely be a real financial impact of providing free BC to your existing library, and potentially depending on per-title profit margins selling old games.
It will barely have an impact. Publishers are not paid based on hours spent. They are paid on units sold and rarely a gamer wont buy that new great game because of an old game regardless if he will finish it or not. Also there are gaming priorities. People priotitize the games for which the console was bought for.

It will barely have an impact.
Like mobile hasnt impact other forms of gaming? (though we know it has) even though it generally gives an inferior form of gaming, shifty is right, anything that takes time will lessen sales

Like mobile hasnt impact other forms of gaming? (though we know it has) even though it generally gives an inferior form of gaming, shifty is right, anything that takes time will lessen sales

On the flip side if it keeps people inside your platform and not on mobile that's quite valuable. Assuming you did not sell the hardware at a loss is this a bad thing given the fierce competition for players time and by extension money.

It will barely have an impact.
Speculation. We can't really say. The important point is it isn't a zero sum and there's theoretically reason to control what games gamers have access to.
Publishers are not paid based on hours spent. They are paid on units sold...
And DLC bought. 8 hours spent playing the original Spyro is 8 hours not spending time in the latest pay-to-win extravaganza. That's 8 hours of dipping into SWBF2 and Shadow of War loot boxes lost.
...rarely a gamer wont buy that new great game because of an old game regardless if he will finish it or not.
Again, speculation. Certainly some people buy games without playing them. Others won't buy new games until their current one is properly put down (completed or abandoned). I doubt anyone has any idea what those numbers are.
People priotitize the games for which the console was bought for.
Absolutely, and one reason why I've argued BC isn't important because the console is bought to play the next-gen games. But if no-one cares to play BC titles, it doesn't matter if they aren't supported. And if gamers want BC supported, then they'll be spending some time not playing the current games but playing BC games instead, unless there's reason to believe that their next-gen gaming time allocation isn't affected and their BC gaming time eats into some other part of their time budget, like giving up baking or reading or taking the kids to football in order to play Crash Team Racing instead... Realistically you can't have gamers playing BC games without that affecting time spent play current-gen games.

in a world where emulators are quite easy to use and find, I don't think offering BC titles lessens sales at all. If you have all the PS1 games available for a token in your PS Store, you can make actual money out of those.

Keep in mind that BC has revenue generating potential as well. I'm sure both Microsoft and Activision were quite pleased with the sales of X360 COD: BO (forget which version) lighting up the NPD sales charts after BC was enabled for it on XBO.

Granted not many previous gen titles are going to do nearly so well. But any sort of residual sales are free. Especially in a digital marketplace with no physical media costs associated with it. At that point even 1 sale is just free money.

Regards,
SB

Back