Rise of the Tomb Raider [XO, XOX, X360, PS4, P4Pro]

Agreed, wouldn't really be surprised if it's mentioned on Sony presentation.

There's a tweet from a CD stating it is "exclusive for a launch end of 2015". I think this was also in the MS slides. However, even Euro Gamer claims it's an 100% exclusive...

So I guess MS paid 40 euro x 4-5 million sales = couple of hundred millon euro for this game to make up for the lost revenue ????

Crazy....

whats funny is, MS buying exclusivity = they also destroying their support for PC games.
every year MS always say they proudly support PC game and will focus on PC game. But every year they destroy their support on PC game (buying exclusivity for xbox, closing their xbox live on PC, and now this tomb raider goes to xbox)

Sad news for me, especially if PC will not get the game in 2015. If similar shit happens with new Deus Ex, that will push me over the edge of boycotting Eidos games until they get into sub-5€ price on Steam.

I love how they make this statement in their announcement of this to the Tombraider Community:

We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal.

And yet follow that up by effectively saying "but we feel the next Tombraider is better off without you"

Lol, smooth move.

MS's language at the conference was telling.

The real value of Tomb Raider is over holdiay 2015. If Sony get it mid 2016 then that doesn't matter. Will still sell well on PS4, so MS won't need to shell out stupid amounts of money on it.

Full exclusivity wouldn't be worth it IMO. Far better to splash the cash on a number of timed exclusives than aboslute ownership of one game.

Exclusivity means that they'll be able to dedicate themselves to making the game play well with the esram. Xbone could do with that kind of attention.

whats funny is, MS buying exclusivity = they also destroying their support for PC games.
every year MS always say they proudly support PC game and will focus on PC game. But every year they destroy their support on PC game (buying exclusivity for xbox, closing their xbox live on PC, and now this tomb raider goes to xbox)

I think most PC gamers just see that as par for the course from MS now and no-one really buys any of their crap about supporting PC gaming anymore. This is just the latest SFTU from MS to PC gamers which started with Halo and went through Gears, Alan Wake and many more. Perhaps as with those games this will just be a timed exclusive with regards to the PC.

There's a tweet from a CD stating it is "exclusive for a launch end of 2015". I think this was also in the MS slides. However, even Euro Gamer claims it's an 100% exclusive...

So I guess MS paid 40 euro x 4-5 million sales = couple of hundred millon euro for this game to make up for the lost revenue ????

Crazy....

If it's lifetime exclusive, which is unlikely, then it would probably be like $20 x 4M sales. Timed might be something like a quarter of that figure since it would still probably sell well on PS4 and PC if it comes out 6 mo later.

Probably nothing close to that. Devs only look take what's left after publishers, retailers, platform licensers have taken their slice. And money up front, effectively paying for the development of the title, is always better for a company than the potential of money over a year away.

lol poor Camilla

aQspD9u.png

Meh, I lost interest in Tomb Raider when ShootMyMonkey quit working on it.

What the hell happened to that guy anyway? He dropped off the face of the internet it seems.

I think that pretty much all Tomb Raider games were multi-platform titles before is what separates it from a normal brand exclusive (timed or otherwise) that is a brand new IP.

Right. But it takes a long while to take an IP and make a polished game from it. That's why they're buying exclusivity now - Titanfall, Tomb Raider. They need a staple output of new games not on PS4 over the next 6-18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.
I can understand why you're thinking this way though, particularly if you've been playing certain specific exclusives that are part of your life as a gamer.

What you are asking for is very tough to pull off. I think the sales war is kinda lost anyways but the Xbox One still can make for a fine generation.

In my experience with the Xbox One, the only way for it to have success is to have personality and have its own games you can't find anywhere else, regardless of the amount of games.

Plus, if people want to give you a hard time on your choices they'll always find something to pick on no matter how much your preferred console change!

To put it philosophically and metaphorically, into personal terms, you can only be yourself in life, or risk being unhappy --but that's my opinion anyway.

And that's what Xbox One should do, trying to shine with what it is/has, it's other people who will make the pertinent comparisons after all.

The only open item on what is currently known about TR exclusivity is timed or not. I would suggest that any further discussion on the rights or wrong of exclusivity be taken to the appropriate threads, the remainder of this thread should be focused on new news and any further gameplay news.

Its little strange that they did their Gamescom news without showing any new trailer or gameplay video. They did not even talked about the game, some story elements or anything.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...b-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration
Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".
Technically, taking the quote verbatim, he's talking about the TR franchise and not RotTR. But this bit is pretty explicit -
Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?
"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."
It's also coming to 360, so is a cross-gen title. 360 will be ten years old then, won't it? :oops:

I'm still wondering if any "timed" deal about the exclusivity extends to other consoles or the PC. I hope of course that this game will eventually go to other consoles, but the way Darrell Gallagher worded it, makes me think it's kind of exclusive for the Xbox, and probably will end up on PC. On PS4 - I'm not that sure yet.

On the other hand, the fact that they are kind of beating around the bush and not confirming that it's exclusive Xbox all the way, probably is a dead give a way that the deal in fact is timed and that there will be a version on other platforms eventually.

As a huge Tomb Raider fan (well used to), it kind of brings back a few memories. Tomb Raider was the reason why I bought a PlayStation. I played it on my PC first (which was too slow to run it nicely and eventually, I bought into the convinience of owning a console like the PlayStation). I don't think the new Tomb Raider reboot has that selling power as the original did back in 96, but it's still a very big well known and successfull franchise - as evident by the outrage over its exclusivity deal.

I'm still wondering if any "timed" deal about the exclusivity extends to other consoles or the PC. I hope of course that this game will eventually go to other consoles, but the way Darrell Gallagher worded it, makes me think it's kind of exclusive for the Xbox, and probably will end up on PC. On PS4 - I'm not that sure yet.

On the other hand, the fact that they are kind of beating around the bush and not confirming that it's exclusive Xbox all the way, probably is a dead give a way that the deal in fact is timed and that there will be a version on other platforms eventually.

As a huge Tomb Raider fan (well used to), it kind of brings back a few memories. Tomb Raider was the reason why I bought a PlayStation. I played it on my PC first (which was too slow to run it nicely and eventually, I bought into the convinience of owning a console like the PlayStation). I don't think the new Tomb Raider reboot has that selling power as the original did back in 96, but it's still a very big well known and successfull franchise - as evident by the outrage over its exclusivity deal.

I'm a bit sceptical, because Nixxes (dutch outfit often used by SE/CD) did the port of TR to the PS3 and PS4 and at the moment only seems to be involved in this "crappy" (my personal opinion) Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. Check their website

Last edited by a moderator:
Back