Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by idsn6, May 8, 2013.

1. tuna

Veteran

Yeah, but not if anyone intends to use any other shop. So it is open in different areas. Or maybe we can realise that "open" is not a very descriptive word to describe the different shops.

2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Steam being more open means Steam sells games that are compatible with headsets other than Steam's own model. Oculus' store only sells for the Oculus model.

How someone can look at these facts and somehow twist them around suggesting Steam is less open is just mind boggling. Or silly, as suggested in a previous post.

3. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

Valve's recent VR based interview was interesting. The reporting of it I saw glossed over a few points I thought.

The three games they have in development are big games, not smaller experiments. The new games are being built around the new controllers.

They expect 2018/19 VR displays to exceed desktop in refresh and resolution. Apparently several display manufacturers have started looking at proper VR displays rather than trimmed phone screens.

Plus, other stuff about how they see the market developing.

Full interview:

#1603 cheapchips, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    ProspectorPete and manux like this.
  4. manux

Veteran Regular

SteamVR lighthouse is getting better and cheaper. It's also compatible with old version so no harm done to existing customers.

http://www.roadtovr.com/closeup-next-generation-steamvr-tracking-base-station-better-every-way/

5. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Valve has just released Steam Audio:

https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/

[​IMG]

Audio is finally coming back to the forefront this year. Real-time HRTF-based Binaural audio will also be natively supported & integrated in the Windows 10 Creators update on PC and the Xbox One

RootKit, Arwin and BRiT like this.
  6. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

#1606 Ike Turner, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    RootKit and BRiT like this.
  7. ProspectorPete

Regular Newcomer

Is this comparable to existing libraries?

8. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

#1608 Ike Turner, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    BRiT likes this.
  9. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

BRiT likes this.
  10. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

BRiT likes this.
  11. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Oculus dramatically reduces prices for headset and peripherals:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davide...slashes-prices-on-rift-hardware/#783f7799a53a

Remember when Luckey last year said Oculus was being sold at production cost? Well...

ProspectorPete likes this.
  12. ProspectorPete

Regular Newcomer

It's a great start for PCVR to have a cheap point of entry.
    599 for Rift plus touch controllers, this almost equals
    399 PSVR, 59 PS camera, 79 PS move controller bundle.

With PC fans claiming PC VR had over a 100 million devices more powerful than PS4, PCVR now has no more excuses for selling less than PSVR.

13. manux

Veteran Regular

and its' free

http://www.roadtovr.com/robo-recall-review/

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-reveals-6-new-vr-titles-gdc/

14. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Another Review:

https://uploadvr.com/robo-recall-review/

As most VR content this look like nothing more than an experience/tech-demo..but it's free so no complain from me. Will hopefully try it out soon once I get my hands back on my Rift which Is at work. Based on the users comment it seems like the teleporting mechanism is not great and also broken when used in room-scale mode (with 3 cameras).

Anyway the most interesting par is the use of the new Forward Rendering path in UE4....and....from what I briefly tested yesterday in another game/XP called ROM Extraction (which was ironically on stage at AMD's event...) it's still total horse-shit in terms of performances on AMD GPUs so something must be wrong somewhere (cause Unity/source 2 content works perfectly fine as usual). I was averaging at 50% (!) frames re-projection with everything set to minimum on my home's Radeon Fury X which is totally ridiculous as I can run most of the non UE4 VR content with 1.3 SuperSampling with at most 7% re-projection...Maybe Rom's implementation is totally borked ?

Edit: ROM Extraction is indeed totally broken http://steamcommunity.com/app/530960/discussions/0/133258593381248472/ but the devs seems to think that it only affects users who upgraded from the previous version (with the deferred renderer) to the new version and that the settings are broken. Well, I never had that version (and many users either) before so something else is definitely going on as Nvidia users are also having the same perf issues ...will try it out again once the patch is out.

#1614 Ike Turner, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  15. manux

Veteran Regular

My comments on robo recall after playing for while. It's a lot of fun and amazing experience but no real depth. Though I would say same thing about doom, quake or counterstrike.

16. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Can you tell me more about your PC config/specs and how well it ran on it compared to other UE4 VR content?

17. manux

Veteran Regular

I have nvidia 780GHz edition and intel i5-4670k. Game settings defaulted to low, 2xmsaa, 0.7 pixel density.

The game seemed smooth and I didn't notice anything annoying in regards to performance

18. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

780 o_O Get yourself a 1070 already! :-D Running VR below native resolution (0.7 :-() should be a outlawed! :runaway:

19. manux

Veteran Regular

Gaming dangerously is my middle name. Though gpu upgrade is long overdue and I should get something. Maybe I'm waiting for vega to come out before seriously contemplating gpu upgrade. I'll probably want to get something quite high end and then stick with that for the next 3-4years.

20. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

The price cut news was a bummer, I preordered and got an Oculus Touch at the end of the last year, but I've been busy and it's on the floor of my room without unwrapped... they say those who activated it in 30 days before the price cut get a $50 coupon but I hadn't even activated it.

If HTC Vive follows the price cut it's cool though, with LG entering SteamVR.