Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

It'll need to be an OLED, and it'll need to be somewhere in that 5.5-6" range. The pentile sub-pixel arrangement is a very minor issue. They need the fast pixel switching times to accommodate their strobing refresh, and having an IPS LCD panel that takes double digit milliseconds to change colors is pretty much a deal breaker for that.

Will be nice to finally have a reason again to sink some money into some graphics cards.

It'll need to be an OLED, and it'll need to be somewhere in that 5.5-6" range. The pentile sub-pixel arrangement is a very minor issue.
The wonky moire patterns you get with pentile is going to be bothersome with realtime rendered graphics unless the pixel size is well smaller than what the human eye can distinguish, and such small pixels is currently not OLED's strong suit. In any case, the current projected future point of 1k rez per eye is nowhere NEAR high enough to get there.

Also, subpixel wear is still an issue with OLED and probably will always be. Getting ghosting of UI elements and such of another game than the one you're currently playing in your expensive virtual display headset would simply be the pits, for sure.

The wonky moire patterns you get with pentile is going to be bothersome with realtime rendered graphics unless the pixel size is well smaller than what the human eye can distinguish, and such small pixels is currently not OLED's strong suit. In any case, the current projected future point of 1k rez per eye is nowhere NEAR high enough to get there.

Also, subpixel wear is still an issue with OLED and probably will always be. Getting ghosting of UI elements and such of another game than the one you're currently playing in your expensive virtual display headset would simply be the pits, for sure.

Without low-persistence/strobing, the image is constantly swimming with blur under motion, even the objects that should otherwise be stable and locked in place by the compensation of your tracking eyes. I don't disagree that pentile hurts the effective resolution, but the eyestrain and discomfort you get from your eyes fighting to resolve an image that's constantly smearing back and forth is much worse. It's pretty much OLED or nothing in that sense, and every talk Valve and Oculus have given have cited OLED as the way forward. I'd rather have a 2ms-persistence, 2k pentile OLED than an 8k, full persistence IPS panel for VR. Resolution isn't worth much if all it's able to produce is a high fidelity blur.

The sub-pixel wear is an issue, but there's probably a lot of extra breathing room given due to the change in duty cycle for the low persistence. If the panel is only lit for 20% of the time, it's going to live much longer.

Some first-hands impressions on Valve VR prototype : http://www.3delement.com/?p=332

It sounds incredible. I particularly liked this bit:

"Micheal Abrash talked about this on the second day, how he felt it would ‘transform the entire entertainment industry’, hitting mainstream culture with a larger impact than the movie industry. And at Palmer Lucky’s talk, he said he believed it was literally the most important invention in the history of man kind (he might have been slightly joking)"

I honestly think it will have a huge impact once it's perfected (or near perfected) - far greater than most people realise.

I must say his comments on this tech compared to OR are a bit worrying though. It sounds like OR (assuming he's talking about Crystal Cove) may not be as immersive as I'm expecting. If so then hopefully they'll bring it up to scratch with Valve's implementation before commercial launch.

I must say his comments on this tech compared to OR are a bit worrying though. It sounds like OR (assuming he's talking about Crystal Cove) may not be as immersive as I'm expecting. If so then hopefully they'll bring it up to scratch with Valve's implementation before commercial launch.

If you look back through Abrash's VR related comments since Quakecon 2012, you'll see that he's always been extremely conservative with his outlook and tempered in enthusiasm, while Carmack and Palmer have seemed generally a lot more optimistic. This is likely due to the fact that he's spent much more time in a serious R&D environment on VR than either of them, so he's had time to make pretty well-formed ideas of certain benchmarks and the corresponding time frames for reaching them.

I'm not terribly worried about it myself. I know what the current experience with the devkit is like, and from that I feel pretty confident with extrapolating what a ~40-50% PPI increase, OLED black levels, Lightboost-esque blur reduction, 50% refresh rate increase, wider exit pupil, translation tracking, and less than half the latency would deliver. The resolution will still stink compared to what people are used to with desktop monitors, cell phones, and tablets, but that doesn't really kill immersion. The main thing the lack of resolution does is hurt certain games that depend on longer draw distances (Arma, etc.)

If there's anything to worry about here, it's not the hardware but the software. That's not something you can throw a couple teams of smart engineers and some capital at and confidently dust your hands off. What percentage of games made for the average platform end up becoming a defining killer-app? Granted you get a lot more mileage out of even the most mundane content in VR (as alluded to by Abrash's website-textured diving board pit), but that's not the sort of thing that's going to keep people jacked in for several hours at a time, for several months. Even an Eve Valkyrie or HL3 probably wouldn't carry the sort of longevity they'll need to keep the HMDs from collecting dust 6 months after the hardware is launched. IMO, it's going to be the more slow and plodding, virtual world, Minecraft's of the game world that'll probably keep people coming back after the initial content honeymoon is over.

Palmer Lucky has confirmed on reddit that first consumer Rift will be as optimized [and even better] as Valve's "VR presence" devkit. However, it will be focused on sitting experience, no tracking while walking.

Palmer Lucky has confirmed on reddit that first consumer Rift will be as optimized [and even better] as Valve's "VR presence" devkit. However, it will be focused on sitting experience, no tracking while walking.

Woohoo! I certainly hope that's true. I wasn't really expecting anything as fancy as full body tracking in the initial release although it's clearly where they need to be. Frankly I see myself buying just about every iteration of VR tech on the PC as soon as its available so I'm not over concerned about the lack of body tracking initially.

New interviews out now about Carmack leaving zenimax b/c they would not support VR in their upcoming id titles. Seems a shame.

Sony's Project Morpheus.

o0abPD7.jpg

W6xuwWe.jpg

Back