Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

My plan is to play through lucky and eve . Then get adrift and from there go to chronos and then that card battle game and finally ending with defense grid 2. it looks like that should give me enough time to read up on the other games and see whats worth getting

Tested goes hands on.

Cv1 extremely light , lightest they've tried

Sound was great from the little headphones . Wont be using his nice head phones

They served ginger ale to everyone lol.

They talk with alex from job simulator about the diffrences between the 3 platforms with motion controller - about 4:35 in. Says they make large , medium or small with all of them being 360 or 180. Touch uses about 8 feet by 8 feet with default setup. They are waiting to see what the final consumer set up will be ( maybe the know more cameras are coming).

Last edited:
This is the shipping version! :confused:
1_JqE5Qgz.jpg

on-ear headphones are the right way, It maybe just me but it looks incredibly cheaply and shoddily built, $600 for a loss :D

It maybe just me but it looks incredibly cheaply and shoddily built, $600 for a loss :D

A lot of thin/skinny looking parts, yep. Making something look robust that weighs next to nothing is difficult. The entire thing weighs ~450 grams, with a third of that weight being in the strap assembly. Given that Sony and HTC opted to not include audio at all and instead threw in earbuds as a garnish to fill the checkbox, I'm very pleased with Oculus's decision here.

Those headphones look like junk. So erm, Vive it is.

I have to admit my HD 800 S headphones are so big they prolly wouldn't be compatible with a headset :( Which is a bugger, because high end headphones make games so much better. Oh well, I suppose my HD 650 will have to come out of retirement.

They don't even sit over the ear canal. Can they not be adjusted?

They're adjustable. I suspect that most people demoing these don't have a mirror to check and see whether the rear strap/cup is positioned properly on the back of the head, so the strap assembly ends up being a lot higher up than it should be.

Those headphones look like junk. So erm, Vive it is.

So you just detach the Rift's headphones and use your HD800 instead?

edit: I've never worn the HD800, but whatever headphones you use you'll probably want to ensure that the clamping force against your head is sufficient to keep them in place. My HD600 and DT770pro are good for VR, most of my other ones are unusable (HD598, D2000, Grados, etc). If you're able to shake them out of place by mild headbanging, then they're probably going to annoy you in VR.

Last edited:
A lot of thin/skinny looking parts, yep. Making something look robust that weighs next to nothing is difficult. The entire thing weighs ~450 grams, with a third of that weight being in the strap assembly.

That's extremely impressive. According to Sony's official spec sheet, PSVR is more than a third heavier again at 610 grams - without headphones. I guess at least some of that extra cost must have gone into expensive weight saving materials.

So you just detach the Rift's headphones and use your HD800 instead?
Sorry, I wasn't clear. HD 800 (S) is huge, reaches as far forward as my cheekbone, so the visor (not "headset") will clash with the headphones, so HD 650 will be preferable as it's much shorter.

So the Rift's headphones can be detached?

edit: I've never worn the HD800, but whatever headphones you use you'll probably want to ensure that the clamping force against your head is sufficient to keep them in place. My HD600 and DT770pro are good for VR, most of my other ones are unusable (HD598, D2000, Grados, etc). If you're able to shake them out of place by mild headbanging, then they're probably going to annoy you in VR.
I'm hoping the clamping force on mine will ease off - when new my face would become numbed after a few hours - it's better now, but still too much.

I'm very pleased with Oculus's decision here.
Heys its a reasonable middle ground.
ideally I would want just an earphone jack and then let me or you choose what earpieces to have, eg I could choose my overear sennheiser (far better quality & overear for better immersion than oculus, not opinion this is a fact ) or something else a bit cheaper/lightweight/lesser quality or whatever

Sorry, I wasn't clear. HD 800 (S) is huge, reaches as far forward as my cheekbone, so the visor (not "headset") will clash with the headphones, so HD 650 will be preferable as it's much shorter.

So the Rift's headphones can be detached?

I'm hoping the clamping force on mine will ease off - when new my face would become numbed after a few hours - it's better now, but still too much.

Yep - the clamp is sadly a necessary evil in my experience. The HD600 and DT770pro for me are probably more uncomfortable for extended use than the DK2 is. The headphone issue is something that most people don't realize going in because you tend to use full size headphones while upright and with minimal movement. Because the headband of the headphone can't be depended on for supporting its weight, that support has to be carried by the press of the ear cups. I actually specifically bought the beyers for VR because of the bendable headband and coiled cable (most of my rubberized straight headphone cables tend to rub and catch on clothing which makes them difficult to ignore.)

Give VR a few months in the real world and I suspect most people acquiesce to built-in headphones. Having a driver that's suspended over/against the ear without any real pressure, no additional cable, and no need to go through the multi-step process of putting everything on and taking everything off with your eyes closed. The only situations where I see myself using full sized headphones will be in cases where I want isolation and/or no leakage, or if I want the boomy theatrics of the beyers.

I think ceiling mounted cabling, until this stuff becomes fully wireless, will be one of the early hacks.

You guys have to remember the weight those headphones are going to add. The whole headset is less than 500grams that includes the built in ear phones.

According to amazon without the cable the hd 800s are 330 grams . Its almost the weight of the headset. So you might increase the quality of the sound but your going to increase the weight on your head by 50%

They were positive about the audio on the Tested video. That's quite impressive given how badly adjusted the headphones looked through most of the demos. :)

I found an interesting article that suggests people should avoid traditional 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby Digital surround sound headphones, because of the binaural sound processing of VR. So those wanting to use their own headphones should stick to stereo or 2.1.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Wini...nd_Designers_in_VR_The_Headphones_Problem.php

But then if you want very good sound quality, those are probably the best to go for anyway, since they tend to be made by manufacturers of more traditional audio equipment.

Can't those headphones turns off the surround processing? If they receive stereo signal, it shouldn't do anything with the signal, unless they do stupid thing like converting stereo to surround?

Back