Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

I guess that pretty much confirms they'll be a reasonable amount cheaper than Oculus. You can't admit a competing product is better and then launch at the same or higher price.

Good on them for telling it how it is though without the usual spin.

The lack of physical ipd adjustment is whats going to make the biggest difference between the high end pc stuff and the ps vr. The first time I was able to adjust the vive for my ipd vs the dk2 I had been using was to be blunt eye opening. Everything was clearer and in better focus.

The psvr does a better job with digital ipd adjustment than the dk2 did and its clearer for me than the dk2 but the physical ipd just really lets you nail the settings.

But it appears to come at a huge cost

The nice thing about software IPD adjustment would be the flexibility and precision though. Most people don't have a perfectly symmetric IPD, and on top of that a mechanical slider with a throw of only a couple centimeters can't be all that great for millimeter-level adjustment. With software IPD you could conceivably have all of that covered. And it's not like mechanical adjustment sidesteps the error from user configuration as you're still going to require some kind of subjectively assessed test pattern to decide whether the IPD is correct or not.

I can imagine these differing approaches to user configuration being a nice point of contrast between HMDs. I haven't had my hands on a Vive pre yet, but I could imagine its use of several different adjustment knobs being received favorably by VR enthusiasts, while Oculus's limited and quick adjustment being popular for demoing and convenience.

The nice thing about software IPD adjustment would be the flexibility and precision though. Most people don't have a perfectly symmetric IPD, and on top of that a mechanical slider with a throw of only a couple centimeters can't be all that great for millimeter-level adjustment. With software IPD you could conceivably have all of that covered. And it's not like mechanical adjustment sidesteps the error from user configuration as you're still going to require some kind of subjectively assessed test pattern to decide whether the IPD is correct or not.

I can imagine these differing approaches to user configuration being a nice point of contrast between HMDs. I haven't had my hands on a Vive pre yet, but I could imagine its use of several different adjustment knobs being received favorably by VR enthusiasts, while Oculus's limited and quick adjustment being popular for demoing and convenience.

The nice thing about physical IPD adjustment is you can add software IPD adjustment also.

The bad thing about not having physical IPD adjustment is that you can't just download it. Your forever left without it.

So the vive and pre can take advantage of both which is a def plus over just a software approach. There is a reason Oculus moved to it dispite the cost of the headset going up.

unity is demoing an editor using oculus touch. She is putting everything into the vr game with touch. No programing needed.

Reminds me of Project Spark

shoot, that Oculus Touch doesn't come with the bundle right? NOOO i must buy!

I was gifted a rift bundle. I'm an original Kickstarter backer. I just received my emails they are about ready to ship now.

https://vid.me/DvMk

video of the oculus rift set up.

Its interesting it has you put in your height to calculate your distance to the floor. They want the sensor 3 feet away from you . They even explain how to put the head set on. Which is cool. Then they move into the prepare your space which asks you to remove things you might bump into. They go over the IPD adjustment.

After that they go into the store , which looks nice. I can't say much about it. THe oculus world demo costs 1 cent apparently.

its okay , you can do it now. Its linked to when your order is made not when you select it. At least that's what I was told. I don't know how it will work for kickstarters
Oh ok. I'm fairly positive I never saw the chance to pre-order it. It was basically give us your shipping address. And then here comes Oculus Kickstarter Bundle for OG Kickstarters.

I will likely have to wait for the touch reservations to open up. But now I'm fully invested here.

That and cry engine V. I think it's worth investing in making some VR experiences as well.

Still need a GPU though, waiting for big pascal.

Oh ok. I'm fairly positive I never saw the chance to pre-order it. It was basically give us your shipping address. And then here comes Oculus Kickstarter Bundle for OG Kickstarters.

I will likely have to wait for the touch reservations to open up. But now I'm fully invested here.

That and cry engine V. I think it's worth investing in making some VR experiences as well.

Still need a GPU though, waiting for big pascal.

The touch reservations opened already. when they sent you the email did they send a link to check the status of your order ? If they did go there and log into it. It should have an option .

I go through this site https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/history-login/guest/

Put your order number and email. Oculus will send u a link back. When you click it , it should say Recent orders. Mine has the rift with the price and date I ordered , order status tracking , order number then shipping .

After shipping address it will have special offers. Mine says

Special Offers
Now that you pre-ordered your Rift, take advantage of our special offers.
We've reserved your spot in line for Oculus Touch.
Get a discount when ordering an Oculus Ready PC.

• Dell: To get your discounted Oculus Ready PC, click here then enter this promo code:
  • Alienware: To get your discounted Oculus Ready PC, click here then enter this promo code:
  • ASUS: To get your discounted Oculus Ready PC, click here then enter this email:

If you don't have it selected there should be a check mark to let you choose. If that's not an option just email them. I had to for them to do it for me.

Also if anyone needs the dell or alien ware or asus codes just let me know. I have no need for them

The touch reservations opened already. when they sent you the email did they send a link to check the status of your order ? If they did go there and log into it. It should have an option .

I go through this site https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/history-login/guest/

Put your order number and email. Oculus will send u a link back. When you click it , it should say Recent orders. Mine has the rift with the price and date I ordered , order status tracking , order number then shipping .

After shipping address it will have special offers. Mine says

Special Offers
Now that you pre-ordered your Rift, take advantage of our special offers.
We've reserved your spot in line for Oculus Touch.
Get a discount when ordering an Oculus Ready PC.

• Dell: To get your discounted Oculus Ready PC, click here then enter this promo code:
  • Alienware: To get your discounted Oculus Ready PC, click here then enter this promo code:
  • ASUS: To get your discounted Oculus Ready PC, click here then enter this email:

If you don't have it selected there should be a check mark to let you choose. If that's not an option just email them. I had to for them to do it for me.

Also if anyone needs the dell or alien ware or asus codes just let me know. I have no need for them
They reserved it on my behalf, thanks for the links!

Back