Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Not that we need more of this but here we go:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/49ku1u/detailed_experience_a_lot_of_hours_with_both/

Something you'll immediately notice coming from a DK2, is the new gorgeous OLED displays. On paper, it might seem that the the Vive & Rift have the same panel but in reality, they are optimized in different ways. The Rift CV1 is notably clearer in every experience I have had thus far. If someone was to make you close your eyes, then proceeded to place a Rift or Vive randomly over your head, you would know which unit you were wearing every time just based on the display. This isn't to say the Vive doesn't look gorgeous, it does, but "the screen door effect" is more present.

We should be getting the retail versions dissected and analyzed soon enough. It will surely be interesting to see what those headsets are made out of :)

When pixels are viewed so close that the entire subpixel structure becomes visible, accurate color rendering will be impossible.
In a mobile phone, when viewed while holding it in your hand 1/2 arm length away from your eyes the colours will have perfect accuracy, you are correct about that.

However.. when zoomed in, the S4 screen (I just picked that by coincidence) which has perfect 100% RGB coverage is suddenly unable to accurately render the Google Chrome logo.

The problem is that zoom doesn't mean anything.

I have a note 5 and cardboard. Its never zoomed in that far an cv1 and vive are not zoomed in that var. What you get with cardboard is a situation where if you look for the diamond matrix you can slightly see it. But you have to ignore whats happening in the game or video your watching and focus. I had a note 3 before this and it was slightly easier to make out.

This is a picture of the dk1/2 through the lense

upload_2016-3-9_3-58-51.png

The dk1 is 640x800 per eye (1280x800) the dk2 is 960x1080 per eye (1920x1080) note 3 screens

as you can see you will never bee as zoomed in as the icon picture you present. You will also notice that you can see the pentile with the dk2. This was before the s5's refinement so its more obvious than with later screens

So if you look at an image of a white surface, then moving it close to your face, being able to discern the subpixels. Would you still describe the color as white?
If the subpixels are too large, no. That'd be true for RGB stripe though. Remember sitting close to your old, large CRT and seeing the chunky subpixels? If the subpixels occupy a small enough angular FOV, they'll appear a single colour.

as you can see you will never bee as zoomed in as the icon picture you present. You will also notice that you can see the pentile with the dk2. This was before the s5's refinement so its more obvious than with later screens
The CA on those pentile screens is extreme. Very much 'rainbow artefacts'.

The CA on those pentile screens is extreme. Very much 'rainbow artefacts'.

yea its a galaxy note 3 screen. Its before they tweaked the diamond pentile. If you look at my previous posts you can see where they were to move from an oval green sub pixel to diamond. They were also able to reduce the blue sub pixel so its the same size as the red one.

So you get a tighter diamond pattern with the newer screens. The Note 3 was released in 2013

From everything I've experience, room scale VR still has a lot of problems. I mentioned earlier I almost fell while playing the game " Paranormal Activity ". This happened because you're exploring a haunted house but with out the ability to teleport forward. For those unfamiliar, a lot of games are utilizing teleportation to get from one place to another. This works great but isn't practical for a lot of scenarios, like Paranormal Activity. In PA, you walk around freely to explore your space but you still move utilizing the pad on the Vive controller to get from one place to another. This to say, at the least, is nauseating and made me almost fall over. After this experience I started to become very paranoid of tripping over the wire and kinda tried to hold it when I could. Here is a gif:

I can't wait to start seeing stories and video about people falling and/or injuring themselves trying to use room scale VR with the Vive. It just seems like a bad idea waiting for bad things to happen.

Regards,
SB

I can't wait to start seeing stories and video about people falling and/or injuring themselves trying to use room scale VR with the Vive. It just seems like a bad idea waiting for bad things to happen.

Regards,
SB

The vive does have a chaperone system

skip to 2:20 and maybe mute the kid as his is annoying.

So it should pop up when you get to close to something but I do agree. I think for VR something like the Omni would be a better fit as its safer

The vive does have a chaperone system

So it should pop up when you get to close to something but I do agree. I think for VR something like the Omni would be a better fit as its safer

It's not going to warn you that you're about to trip over the wire that is at your feet or even potentially starting to wrap around your feet. It's also not going to warn you if something might make you nauseous and makes you lose your balance and fall over. Like the experiences of the guy I quoted.

And what happens when a kid comes running in to give their parent a hug while the parent is just about to swing an imaginary weapon at a monster in game? Can't happen? Sure it can, just look at the numerous accidents with the Wii, and that's when you could see your surroundings. What if you have cats or dogs? Ours love to rub against our legs while we're walking around and even go between our legs. Better make sure you lock them out of the room I imagine, but plenty of people probably won't take that precaution.

Actually thinking about that. Probably better lock everyone and everything out of the room while using room scale VR to avoid potential accidents.

Regards,
SB

It's not going to warn you that you're about to trip over the wire that is at your feet or even potentially starting to wrap around your feet. It's also not going to warn you if something might make you nauseous and makes you lose your balance and fall over. Like the experiences of the guy I quoted.

And what happens when a kid comes running in to give their parent a hug while the parent is just about to swing an imaginary weapon at a monster in game? Can't happen? Sure it can, just look at the numerous accidents with the Wii, and that's when you could see your surroundings. What if you have cats or dogs? Ours love to rub against our legs while we're walking around and even go between our legs. Better make sure you lock them out of the room I imagine, but plenty of people probably won't take that precaution.

Actually thinking about that. Probably better lock everyone and everything out of the room while using room scale VR to avoid potential accidents.

Regards,
SB
that's why I said I think the Omni would be safer and more usefull for a lot of people since its about the size of a treadmill vs needing a 15x15 foot space to do room scale in

What if you have cats or dogs? Ours love to rub against our legs while we're walking around and even go between our legs.
Theyll learn from painful experience to steer clear of the guy wearing the weird head covering! Actually that goes for the kids too. A few clumps to the head and they'll learn to steer clear of VR gamers.

Theyll learn from painful experience to steer clear of the guy wearing the weird head covering! Actually that goes for the kids too. A few clumps to the head and they'll learn to steer clear of VR gamers.

Maybe it should be made into a box so people can enjoy their time in private, like a toilet :)

Some new news.

First the rift cable is 13 feet long according to a tweet from palmer .

Also Oculus Social Features

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/join-friends-in-vr-with-new-oculus-social-features/

Starting tomorrow, people with a Samsung Gear VR, powered by Oculus, can create a profile and then easily search for others on the platform by real name or Oculus username.

.upload_2016-3-10_0-6-45.png

Social Trivia, created by Oculus, is a new game that lets you and up to four friends compete in a battle of knowledge. Look for it in the Concepts section of the Oculus Store.

We’ve also added the ability to create rooms with friends in Oculus Social. Now you can watch Twitch or Vimeo streams in a room with people you know.

Herobound: Gladiators, the multiplayer adventure game, is now available on the Oculus Store. Band together with up to four people to conquer goblins and demons in arena battlefields. Use integrated voice chat to talk and strategize in real time for co-op action

Elite Dangerous being available through the Oculus store bodes well for long term, high quality VR support. While Frontier may have supported VR through SteamVR, I don't think they have any obligation to maintain it properly given that it's just a regular Steam game with some extra functionality and there's no reason to assume that Valve will be actively curating that content. On the Oculus store though every copy sold will be expected for VR use, so both Oculus and Frontier will be on the hook to ensure support is maintained and have it meet the performance and user experience criteria.

Before I was concerned that Frontier would half-ass their VR support by simply jacking up the recommended specs every few months, but perhaps now we're going to see some honest to god optimization (MRS, VR-SLI, cockpit UI text leveraging the SDK compositor layers for selective supersampling, etc).

It also bodes well for a lot of other non-VR games that happen to have excellent VR integration. Elite Dangerous is the first title that I know of that's confirmed for the Oculus store that isn't a made-for-VR title and also doesn't use Oculus's chosen gamepad input scheme as the standard/desired device. Presumably this means that Project Cars and other wheel sim games are going to be following as well.

The way Sony surprised with rift's price..

Hopefully that means that "hell yeah! We'll further subsidize Psvr and take the market in a flash"

I doubt Sony sees Oculus/Vive as competitors vying for the same market of users. More likely I would think they were depending on Oculus and Valve to establish large enough user bases of their own to strengthen the third party VR dev pool. If the PSVR ends up being the only VR device expecting to have anything close to a million users then Sony may have to carry their platform on their own dime.

Back