Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

This is great news, my specs just about fit. But about the USB ports. Is this a requirement? I only have one 3.0 :s
WTF kind of computer has only 1 USB3 port? I would guess laptop but any laptop with desktop GTX970 level performance would have loads of USB.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/rift/

- Final consumer version will be Q1 2016.
- Dual 1080p OLED screens (I wonder if it's really two 16:9 screens, as that wouldn't make much practical sense..)
- Every Occulus unit will bring a XBone controller

- And then there's Occulus Touch:

kjoE8s1.jpg
7iplDZ4.jpg
IcXJ7Pt.jpg

They're using the same "Constellation" LEDs for position detection.

I must admit they've surpassed my highest expectations with Oculus Touch, and bare in mind they are only prototypes so potentially will get better still. Did they give any more details on the "two 1080p screens"? I thought the resolution was 2x 1200x1080?

Why the circular areas? Is that just to hold the LEDs?

I've given up being enthused about oculus and virtual reality in general as of today. I've decided it's the new 3D TV but for the gaming industry, and that it ain't never gonna deliver on its hype.

Sorry, just my opinion. Been reading these threads for too many years and not seeing anything in retail. It now just gives me a sad of failing to live up to its own hype.

/me walks away from the thread with shoulders slumped and head hung in disappointed defeat again.

Have you ever tried it?

I'm a firm believer that it will be good this time, just a shame it takes so long.

Why? Surely this interface is a massive step forward for OR and just makes it even better than what we've seen before today?
But it's just hype until it's all marketed, and it's been hype a bloody long time now. :(

Forgive me, sorry. I'm just having a crappier day than normal. I don't mean to piss on anyone's parade, it's just it really did strike me today that the whole Oculus/VR craze has seemed to be more of a high tech exercise in what could be done but never will be.

My apologies, continue. Y'all can laugh at me later when I'm wrong and I'll make even more apologetic, "gee, I'm an idiot!", kind of noises...but until then I remain highly cynical and suspect of the whole thing.

No, I haven't had any opportunities to. It seems like a pipe dream being chased by elites right now to me. :(

I think it's going to work. The current development kits basically work. They're not good enough, as retail versions will need much higher definition and could use lower latencies, but none of the required changes are drastic or fundamental. With 4K displays and a couple of years of work on sensors, low-latency rendering, etc., it shouldn't be a problem.

I think I mentioned it before, but I was in a meeting of the day-care parent committee, last year, and two of the four women in it had tried it already separately of each other on different occasions, and expressed how impressed they were. These were demonstrations of medical therapy sessions and the regular roller coaster demo. One of them told me that she stood on a square with people all around her, and then one person came up to ask her the time, and even though she knew this was just a recording, she could barely stop herself from answering. Completely separate from all that I already know to be great about this and that I am extremely likely to really love this, this is the kind of thing that makes me believe VR is on the verge of breaking through for real, and secretly may already have.

I must admit they've surpassed my highest expectations with Oculus Touch, and bare in mind they are only prototypes so potentially will get better still. Did they give any more details on the "two 1080p screens"? I thought the resolution was 2x 1200x1080?

Highly unlikely to be full 1080p as HDMI 1.3 (defined in the specs of the device) doesn't have the bandwidth to support the resolution required for 3840x1080 (FHD for each eye) at 90hz. At least not over just one HDMI connection. So, unless they've changed the specs that were given to developers and set in stone for the life of the device, it isn't possible.

Regards,
SB

Digi you should certainly find someone that has it to get a test drive. VR is amazing. Alien isolation is insane. Its the first time since Fear 1 that I've jumped while playing video games. strait up a 6'4 330lb 33 year old male jump out of his seat screaming.

I'm a bit disappointed that this is coming out a quarter later than the vive and has the same specs.
That they have "the same specs" doesn't mean they're the same, or even that they actually have the same specs. :)

There could still be a - maybe large - difference in image quality, tracking precision, and so on.

Anyway, I tried to watch the live stream presentation, but between it being hosted by twitch (commercials right in the middle of the stream, wtf), and the presenter simply being dumb (NO, just because I'm wearing a lump of plastic on my face doesn't mean the dinosaur's real, get the fuck outta here), I just couldn't. I turned it off after about eight and a half minutes or so and then went to gizmodo after a couple hours, and the pictures of the device were exactly the same as those that leaked a few days ago, which lucker harvey whatsisface said were old and had no similarity to the hardware being presented the next day, so fuck this company eh! :LOL:

Anyway, does this thing have front-facing cameras or not? I can't see any, but thinking maybe they're hidden behind the plastic casing for some dumb reason. Seems silly it wouldn't have any cameras, as you'd have to take the whole damn thing off to see anything around you; also, no augmented reality stuff either.

And why didn't they remove the ballgag-like strap going over the top of your head? Major hair-flattening annoyance!

your right , it just seems to match out with the same specs.

Anyway I don't see a camera anywhere but the headset they showed today is different than the one in the leak. There is no green anymore from what I can tell.

I'm listening to tested talik about this. One of the guys brings up a good point. There is no standard pc controller except a keyboard mouse. So by putting a xbox one controller in the kit all the developers can target that pad as the base.

Vive is going to bundle in light house and the controlers but not a steam controller. So cost could be much higher for the starting package and you would only have a 3d controller.

Sony of course can guarantee a ds4

The thing I liked the most were the Occulus Touch controllers. They do seem like the best solution for VR.
However, knowing that the Rift will bundle the XBone's gamepad instead of their own Occulus Touch gives me the impression that they won't ever be universally supported.
Together with the fact that it's coming a lot later than Vive, I get the impression that I'll get the Vive instead, depending on software support.

strait up a 6'4 330lb 33 year old male jump out of his seat screaming.
Dude, you're either a body-builder or you could use some squats...

The thing I liked the most were the Occulus Touch controllers. They do seem like the best solution for VR.
However, knowing that the Rift will bundle the XBone's gamepad instead of their own Occulus Touch gives me the impression that they won't ever be universally supported.

Yes that does seem like a really weird move. They didn't explicitely state they wouldn't be included though, they just never said they would. That contrasts with the gamepad however I reckon the gamepad inclusion is a specific element of the contract with Microsoft and thus set in stone. Perhaps they just haven't made their minds up yet about the touch contols. If so, then here's hoping they make the right decision.

Back