Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

The thing I liked the most were the Occulus Touch controllers. They do seem like the best solution for VR.
However, knowing that the Rift will bundle the XBone's gamepad instead of their own Occulus Touch gives me the impression that they won't ever be universally supported.
Together with the fact that it's coming a lot later than Vive, I get the impression that I'll get the Vive instead, depending on software support.

Dude, you're either a body-builder or you could use some squats...

I disagree. I bet 2015 will see the xbox one controller as the pack in and 2016 with cv2 we will get the touch controllers as a pack in .

I think the vive is going to be more expensive since I believe it comes with their vr controllers and light houses.

As for me ... I have a keg where a six pack should be lol ! but I am trying to loose it all. Down 30lbs already

I disagree. I bet 2015 will see the xbox one controller as the pack in and 2016 with cv2 we will get the touch controllers as a pack in .

That is... rather impossible, because this consumer version Occulus Rift will only start being sold somewhere in Q1 2016, and that's the version they announced it was coming with the XBone gamepad.

That is... rather impossible, because this consumer version Occulus Rift will only start being sold somewhere in Q1 2016, and that's the version they announced it was coming with the XBone gamepad.
lol you know what I meant 2016 xbox controller , 2017 rift touch.

Sorry.

lol you know what I meant 2016 xbox controller , 2017 rift touch.
Well that sounds believable, but by 2017 the Vive will have been in the market for a year and a half, and it seems to me that these Occulus Touch controllers would've been the VR system's unique selling point.
Instead, they're going the XBone gamepad which as far as we know is untrackable (it was probably developed with Kinect 2 in mind, unlike DualShock 4 which has a trackable light).
Why assume that Vive will be more expensive? Occulus also needs their own camera.

As for me ... I have a keg where a six pack should be lol ! but I am trying to loose it all. Down 30lbs already
Congratulations! The path to improving one's mind and body is a righteous one :D

Thank you , I've learned I like jogging. I'm also a huge Disney freak. So I'm training for a 5k and then I get to go to Disney world and run one. My goal is to run a full marathon before I'm 40. I figure each year I can move up a race. I might be able to get to do their full dopey before i'm 40.

But anyway. A huge thing to remember is Minecraft. Exclusive minecraft vr for the rift on pc and xbox one would be a huge difference.

Xbox one gamepad is trackable by camera.

If I remember correctly it have IR reflector that reflects kinect IR projector to be seen by kinect ir camera

Well that sounds believable, but by 2017 the Vive will have been in the market for a year and a half, and it seems to me that these Occulus Touch controllers would've been the VR system's unique selling point.
Instead, they're going the XBone gamepad which as far as we know is untrackable (it was probably developed with Kinect 2 in mind, unlike DualShock 4 which has a trackable light).

They're going with a gamepad because they had to make a commitment to developers back in 2012 and 2013 so that development could get underway. The only VR content that's had any significant time for development are those targeted for gamepad and the few devs that banked on Sixense, started development with Hydras and ended up getting a lucky break by being able to easily transition to Valve's input system. As for Oculus Touch, it wouldn't make much sense in releasing an input device that has virtually no software support at launch - all it would serve to do is increase the base price of the Rift and disappoint average consumers expecting to be able to use them for most of the games. It makes sense to release it "devkit"-style sometime shortly after the launch of the Rift, that way the early adopters and developers can purchase it and begin beta-testing and experimenting (as will be the case with Vive's input after its launch also.) The reason why Valve is willing to double down on their input scheme is because they can afford to take the approach of throwing stuff and seeing what sticks.

Why assume that Vive will be more expensive? Occulus also needs their own camera.

HTC: "Starting with the premium experience, even if it has a slightly higher price point, is the right thing to do from a strategic point of view. The price can always come down as the market grows. We know there is some pent-up demand there, so there’s not so much price sensitivity early on. But to get the broader consumer adoption we’re all hoping for, the industry will have to drive price down to make it more accessible. Whether we do that with Vive or other form factors and devices, we understand the importance of driving price down to achieve adoption." http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/reality-check-htc-on-whether-vr-is-going-to-change-the-world/0146901

Remember that HTC needs to make their money by selling the hardware they build. There's no suggestion that Valve will be doing any profit sharing with HTC from Steam sales, and also no suggestion that HTC has any sort of exclusivity on manufacturing the hardware for Valve long term.

I'm feeling a bit alone on what type of experience I want to have regarding VR...

- Static 3D (no head tracking) for FPS with my view controlled by mouse/kb
- Head tracking only on simulators such as Racing or Space dogfights.

... But every camp seems to be pushing for the "get up from the couch and walk around the room".
I just want a replacement for my flatscreen monitor with added 3D

Have you tried VR? That kind of fixed view experience seems to make people really ill really fast, and when combined with swift movements such as in fps games ...

And the Xbox One controller, it did get a minor revision, so perhaps that revision also includes something that allows the OR sensor to pick it up in space.

I understand your point but I believe what caused people to be ill was the big latency between the head tracking experiences + image displayed on screen.

Most people dont feel sick when watching 3D movies or playing 3D games on 3D flat panels. Some do, but due to other reasons.

Latency is a part of cyber-sickness, but it's far from the only contributing factor. One of the prevailing hypotheses about it is that it stems from a disconnect between the signals your brain receives from your eyes and from your inner ear. That is, your inner ear is telling you that you're not moving (much) but your eyes are telling you that you're moving (a lot). A similar (but reversed) disconnect appears to be one of the main contributing factors of motion sickness, but the other way around: your eyes are telling you that you're not moving, because relative to your vehicle, you're not, but your inner ear says otherwise.

By the way, the fact that you find yourself alone in wanting VR without head-tracking is probably due to the fact that without head-tracking, it's not really VR anymore. ;)

You mean that an F1 racing simulation could never be VR? ;)

What do you mean? You'd expect head tracking in a simulation, at least rotational tracking. Some positional tracking could be of use (you can move your head a little bit in a race car).

Well, say that your helmet is locked to your chair and you can't move it, per your definition it wouldn't be VR. Or say you wanted to simulate locked in syndrome in VR .. Can't move anything, not even your eyes, but you can still see and hear ...

Well, say that your helmet is locked to your chair and you can't move it, per your definition it wouldn't be VR. Or say you wanted to simulate locked in syndrome in VR .. Can't move anything, not even your eyes, but you can still see and hear ...

If you can't even rotate your head, then unless there's a significant amount of effort spent on accurate 3D audio or haptic feedback to improve immersion, then no, it's not VR, at least not anymore of a VR experience than just playing the game on a regular computer.

3D in front of my face, emulating a gigantic screen. Its Its all the VR I want, really :) walking around its a gimmick for my kids. I cant think of any serious game that could be played in the space my living room provides

But as I said, Head tracking on genres that make sense (racing simulators etc) its fine.

Back