Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

I need help with steam vr games and the rift my eye level is too low in some games(cdf starfighter eyelevel is where my virtual knees are) and too high in others (rfactor 2 my head is about 6 foot higher than it should be like i'm driving the f1 car while standing on the seat)
How do i fix this ?

cockpit VR games usually have a 'recenter head' button that will reset your head position and orientation to whatever the game considers the neutral center. This overrides the absolute position and orientation at the level of the VR API, so you can just keep pushing that 'recenter' button in the game until you're comfortable with where your head is.

thanks will try that (i do know the recenter head button doesnt help)

Yeah the recenter in a game or from steam vr itself often doesn't work properly. Openvr advanced setting fixes all those. Basically you go to its option, then recenter space.

If still not to your taste, you can manually adjust it.

Does Steam provide head adjustment by default? First person games have long suffered from dwarfism. It's an issue placing the camera at the centre of the person for framing rather than head height. Avatars also suffer from tiny hands and weapons, because they are scaled at a distance away from you but the environment can be closed within centimetres of your avatar's face and the proportions are all off. IIRC early PSVR games mentioned a problem with size.

Does Steam provide head adjustment by default? First person games have long suffered from dwarfism. It's an issue placing the camera at the centre of the person for framing rather than head height. Avatars also suffer from tiny hands and weapons, because they are scaled at a distance away from you but the environment can be closed within centimetres of your avatar's face and the proportions are all off. IIRC early PSVR games mentioned a problem with size.

Oculus "forces" player to define floor level(put controller on floor), give player height in settings and draw guardian area. I believe steam has same as the oculus settings map 1:1 in steam. I'm not sure if the height is anymore mandatory setting.

There's also handful of other factors that impact the perception of height and scale aside from just the tracked physical height of the HMD and the virtual height in the environment. Incorrect IPD can obviously mess with your perception of world scale. And even if all the basic settings are correct, you also can be contending with proprioception mismatches.

For example, If your avatar POV is standing in an environment, but you happen to be physically sitting down with your feet planted on the floor, your brain assumes the floor you feel with your feet is the same height plane that it sees in the virtual environment. The resulting sensation is that the room and everything inside is somehow smaller, even though your stereo vision is telling you otherwise.

A similar frustrating thing I've been dealing with lately is when doing sculpting in VR and trying to eye-ball the scale of a human head or a standing human figure. I'm quite sure if I had a mannequin head in front of my face I'd be able to instantly assess its overall dimensions and scale as being natural sized or not, but in VR it always feels slightly ambiguous (say, +/-25% accurate).

edit: Reminded me of this video that covers perspective distortion (ergo, scale/shape/distance distortion) as a result of eye position and calibration. While a lot of investment has been made into the optics since the days of the DK1, the HMDs of today still work in the same way. The TLDR of it is that we really need eye tracking to achieve a correct 3D perspective.

I actually enjoy experiencing different heights. lol. I find it fascinating to be Amanda Ripley-height in Alien Isolation, but then my own 6'6" height in another game. For one it is clear I would not physically fit on the Nostromo. Heh. With Paranormal Activity I've found my real height reduces the horror of it all because it's harder to be horrified by the short crazy lady in the house. :LOL:

WMR seems to automatically get my height these days. Once it has a room calibration, it matches that up each time I power it up. Sometimes it doesn't seem to recognize the room well, and I think that is caused by lighting changes. But once it locks in, my height is always perfect now.

Last edited:
anyone tried ‘OpenVR Advanced Settings‘ and Oculus Tray tools ?
ps: sometimes my rift will display the outside world (in monochrome) how do i enable that ?

anyone tried Oculus Tray tools ?

Yep, it's been a must-have for me for years. The main thing is it allows an easy way to shutdown the Oculus background service when I'm not using the HMD in order to prevent it from remaining in its stand-by powered state where it stays warm and can be inadvertently activated. It also allows an easy way of setting the buffer/SS multiplier, which is something that's not exposed in the vanilla Oculus Home launcher settings. It does a bunch of other things too, but those are the main reasons why I use it.

The Oculus launcher includes the VR runtime that handles all the back-end compositor, tracking, etc -- so that's a necessary part of the VR system (it's does the equivalent of Valve's SteamVR for the Vive/Index).

Not sure about the issue of needing an internet connection for the Oculus runtime/launcher to operate -- I just yanked my ethernet and was able to launch applications from the Oculus library just fine. Perhaps there's some circumstance where a driver or service certificate times out after weeks or months and requires an online update from the store? If he's interacting with content from the Steam store but blocking the Oculus app from updating, then there could be circumstances where the Rift and/or runtime might be out of date and not compatible with up-to-date applications.

Main thing to keep in the back of your mind is that most of the machinery of the VR system exists in that runtime service, not the hardware. The game/application interfaces via the VR runtime. Hardware drivers/firmware <-> VR runtime <-> application, so they are expected to be updated in lockstep. In the case of SteamVR games, it'd be hardware <-> Oculus runtime <-> SteamVR <-> application. There's some wiggle room with respect to version differences, especially since Oculus introduced an early test branch, but you're probably going to run into problems eventually if you're updating some things but not others.

It's been quite some time since I've written anything with their SDK, so I'm not sure what exactly is getting changed from month to month these days. Given how bullish Oculus/Facebook seems to be with all-in-one mobile VR, I'd be surprised if there's much effort being put to further updates in their PC VR hardware and runtime. Much of the compositor stuff that occurs on the PC is unlikely to ever find its way onto mobile hardware, so I would think sooner or later the PC runtime will be mothballed.

Back