Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Just did a technical presentation of overpass work with the local government.

1. Failed to get the boss to try the VR
2. The boss sends two goons to try the vr
3. One of the goons noticed stuff, that was not noticed in cad drawings, and the design plan got revised.

So it seems VR is really useful. There's really some stuff that easy to be missed just from cad drawing or 3d animation movie. You need to stand there by yourself to notice some things.

Caveats: it was a pain to set up

Well, not triple a profits but it's trending to right direction.

Chennavasin reports that the top seven titles have exceeded $10 million in revenue, with the leading title pulling in a whopping $60 million. By this time next year, he expects, the first VR game could reach the $100 million milestone.

Based on data gathered from the major VR storefronts—Steam, PlayStation Network, Oculus PC, & Oculus Rift—and insights from developers, Chennavasin estimates that a total of 106 VR games have exceeded $1 million in revenue. And nearly half of that has come in the last 12 months alone

https://www.roadtovr.com/100-vr-games-exceeded-1-million-revenue/

The main problem I see, because I can relate to it, is the motion sickness issue. I deal with it as well as I can but it definitely puts a damper on the fun when gaming makes you feel slightly shitty during the experience and for hours afterward.

But that's not killing sales unless people can actually try VR before buying. My guess is we need a social aspect to more obviously enter the equation for VR gaming. And somehow bring more awareness of how immersive gaming can be with VR.

I also don't think PSVR is good enough to go mainstream. The resolution is just too low. Kick that up to 4K next time. PS5 should be able to handle it.

Last edited:
Motion sickness already can be avoided thru game design. E.g. Rush of blood despite having fast motions.

IMO it's not just the tech specs that are important. But also the comfort and ease of use.

Currently quest is not comfortable at all and harder to wear properly than PSVR.

I said properly, because otherwise it will bring even more problem (soreness, blur, nausea, etc)

The main problem I see, because I can relate to it, is the motion sickness issue. I deal with it as well as I can but it definitely puts a damper on the fun when gaming makes you feel slightly shitty during the experience and for hours afterward.

But that's not killing sales unless people can actually try VR before buying. My guess is we need a social aspect to more obviously enter the equation for VR gaming. And somehow bring more awareness of how immersive gaming can be with VR.

I also don't think PSVR is good enough to go mainstream. The resolution is just too low. Kick that up to 4K next time. PS5 should be able to handle it.

The resolution is definitely NOT the main bottleneck for PSVR. It is a bottleneck however for some media aspects of it, such as watching 3D Blu-ray’s or YouTube streams, or playing 2D games on it.

But for VR games themselves, it’s pure processing power to reach enough detail at the current resolution. Games like Wipeout and Astrobot show that the graphics can already be sharp enough for a great VR experience. But ideally you’d want to be able to play something like Assassins Creed Odyssee in VR without losing much detail AND at a higher frame rate. Or Dreams, so looking forward to just creating sculptures in VR alone. I am bad at this kind of thing but that will make it so much fun I’ll want to become good at it.

Still PSVR is already pretty amazing as it is. I’ve been playing Beat Saber since it came out on PSVR. And Astrobot keeps wowing me. And games like SuperHot are begging for high-end sequels.

For those with ideal viewing. For others like me, there are fundamental design issues with PSVR that means I could never use it comfortably. A VR headset is going to need some anatomical adaptability, and I worry what the cost of such a device is. Perhaps mainstream VR is only for the interquartile-range of 'correctly proportioned' gamers?

For those with ideal viewing. For others like me, there are fundamental design issues with PSVR that means I could never use it comfortably. A VR headset is going to need some anatomical adaptability, and I worry what the cost of such a device is. Perhaps mainstream VR is only for the interquartile-range of 'correctly proportioned' gamers?

Ok but that is just another parallel argument for my position that a higher resolution isn’t the big bottleneck here ;)

whats wrong with it? the no physical IPD correction?

For me, i got no issue with the software IPD but i have issue with the lenses angle alignment. I need to angle PSVR high (lots of space on nose) to make the visual clear. Resulting in vertically off-center visual.

tumblr_inline_p4dpv09qhH1tw697t_500.gif

Probably IPD adjustment. My eyes are close-set and weren't anything like centred in the lenses. It was very hard to focus.

This one very basic thing (physical IPD adjustment) is something that, IMO, every VR headset should have if companies truly want VR to appeal to a broad audience.

That's one thing I really like about the Oculus Quest. Not only does it have a physical IPD adjustment, it also shows on screen the numerical value of that adjustment in millimeters as you adjust it. While it may not be as exact as actually having someone measure your IPD, it gives a good idea of what it likely is.

Regards,
SB

If someone really pays 10B$ for magic leap that would be totally nuts. Maybe intel wants to waste some serious money for ... almost nothing special?

Augmented reality headset maker Magic Leap has struggled with the laws of physics and failed to get to market. Now it’s seeking an acquirer, but talks with Facebook and medical goods giant Johnson & Johnson led nowhere according to a new report from Bloomberg’s Ed Hammond.
After raising over $2 billion and being valued between $6 billion and $8 billion back when it still had momentum, Hammond writes that “Magic Leap could fetch more than $10 billion if it pursues a sale” according to his sources. That price seems ridiculous. It’s the kind of number a prideful company might strategically leak in hopes of drumming up acquisition interest, even at a lower price.

Magic Leap’s CEO said he wanted to sell 1 million of its $2300 headset in its first year, then projected it would sell 100,000 headsets, but only moved 6,000 in the first six months, according to a daming report from The Information’s Alex Heath.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/11/magic-steep/

If we look at what oculus can do for hand tracking with just 4 normal camera powered by old snapdragon... with even more cameras and more powerful SoC, it should be as good as magic leap or maybe even better.

I guess Google (Alphabet) no longer considers them a good investment as they had been a large investor in Magic Leap?

Regards,
SB

My read on this is magic leap had something potentially amazing in lab, failed to make it into product and ended up doing copy of hololens instead. It didn't somehow take off at all and now they are running out of money. Or maybe it was always hype and they didn't have something better than hololens in lab.

My read on this is magic leap had something potentially amazing in lab, failed to make it into product and ended up doing copy of hololens instead. It didn't somehow take off at all and now they are running out of money. Or maybe it was always hype and they didn't have something better than hololens in lab.

I'd go with part hype and part relying on technologies that couldn't be cost reduced to an acceptable level. IIRC, their original design required you to be attached to some relatively massive parts (much larger and bulkier than a desktop tower PC) which was mounted on casters so that you could pull it along with you.

Regards,
SB

All they had to do was make it into a back mounted package and then pitch it as a realistic Death Stranding mission simulator.

Back