Revolution = Xenon

TheMightyPuck said:
Hardware is becoming increasingly irrelevant in relation to the software that runs on it. This will continue. There won't be anything next gen a ps3 can do that a xenon can't and vice versa. It will all come down to branding, marketing, and software.

This man speaks the truth. Feature sets available for all 3 platforms will be nigh identical. Although I see Revolution trying to accomplish architecturally what XNA is doing commercially. Refining & building upon the GC's efficient design.

Feature sets, yes... possibly.
But that doesn't necessarily mean all three will be able to use those features at the same speed.

8 controller ports?
Can connect with up to 8 DS's
an "EyeToy" type control device with 8 lenses?
8 sound channels?
a "Tarantula" controller that you put on your head that reads brainwaves?
8 pipelines in graphics processor?
8 "Vector/FPU/whatever" processors assisting the central CPU
Then again, GCN had the codename "Dolphin", and in the end GameCube didn't have fins, didn't squeak, didn't swim or rescue people who had fallen in the sea.
But the GameCube's purple colour is a little bit "dolphiny"
...so the revolution will be brown?

Edit: Oh, so the Tarantula is the codename for the CPU :oops:

PC-Engine said:
According to one of my sources, the codename for the cpu in Revolution is Tarantula...ie it will have 8 something.

It will have 8 games based on Mario. In the first month. 4 will be launch games.

j/k

That's quite possible.
Just because there has been much more talk concerning "Cell" than there has been of Nintendo's next tech, doesn't mean there can not be other companies developing chips that meet or even exceed what "Cell" has to offer.

GameCube is a suprisingly powerful piece of kit.
In my eyes it looks to be even more powerful than xbox, even though the official specs would say otherwise.
GC has muliplatform titles that are weaker than xbox, but that could be because of effort put into them.

But if you look at many of the exclusive titles especially Metroids and RE4.
Compare Metroid to Halo2.... Metroid is far more visually and technically impresive than Halo2, which is supposedly using the xbox resources close to max.

If Sony is aiming for a convergence device with "Cell" designed aroud it, that might give the designer(s) of Nintendos next chip(s) some advantage if Nintendo stay in its "gaming only" road.

Li Mu Bai said:
TheMightyPuck said:
Hardware is becoming increasingly irrelevant in relation to the software that runs on it. This will continue. There won't be anything next gen a ps3 can do that a xenon can't and vice versa. It will all come down to branding, marketing, and software.

This man speaks the truth. Feature sets available for all 3 platforms will be nigh identical. Although I see Revolution trying to accomplish architecturally what XNA is doing commercially. Refining & building upon the GC's efficient design.

If this is all about Revolution I will be highly disappointed. I suspect porting Revolution titles to PS3 will be just as easy as porting DS titles to PSP.

Johnny Awesome said:
I have a sneaky suspicion that Revolution is in fact merely the Nintendo/MS alliance. MS will market and sell Xenon in the US/EU and Nintendo will market and sell Xenon in Asia. Each company will collect the royalties in their own territory and pay no royalties on their own software. MS will handle production and sell the units to Nintendo at cost.

What in the world!?!? :LOL:

That's why you never hear any details about Revolution.

You don't hear any details about the Revolution because (1) It's nowhere near complete and (2) Nintendo is very secretive.

It doesn't actually exist.

:LOL:

I believe that you don't want it to exist, but the Revolution is coming. :D

Just a crazy theory.

I agree.

Why the hell would Nintendo lower themselves to sell just one console in... Asia?

They're the ones that are making the profit.
They're the ones that are on top of Xbox.

Evil_Cloud said:
Why the hell would Nintendo lower themselves to sell just one console in... Asia?

Arguably.

But this whole crazy theory is just that, a crazy theory.

london-boy said:
Evil_Cloud said:

Arguably.

N/O, but more like someone with a brain tumor talking. :LOL:

Or should I say brain tumors, this MS/N conspiracy has been repeated years on end, it's really getting boring...

Evil_Cloud said:
london-boy said:
Evil_Cloud said:

Arguably.

N/O, but more like someone with a brain tumor talking. :LOL:

Or should I say brain tumors, this MS/N conspiracy has been repeated years on end, it's really getting boring...

People always seem to think that just because MS has a bit of cash on the side, they will end up buying everyone. Even you and me.

So this is Nintendo's Tarantula:
tarantula8ij.jpg

and this is "Cell"
cell3yk.jpg

Please note, that these images are not from any patent.

So if "Tarantula" means that it has 8 co-processors, to be reminiscent of a "tarantula", it would need 8 legs, but the "co-processors" or "APU's" or whatever they'll be named are not connected with each other, as is the case with "Cell" (lower img.)

Back