Revolution = Xenon

I have a sneaky suspicion that Revolution is in fact merely the Nintendo/MS alliance. MS will market and sell Xenon in the US/EU and Nintendo will market and sell Xenon in Asia. Each company will collect the royalties in their own territory and pay no royalties on their own software. MS will handle production and sell the units to Nintendo at cost. That's why you never hear any details about Revolution. It doesn't actually exist.

Just a crazy theory. :)

they could use the same chipset but with different accesoires .(read not compatible with each other)

Been said before, many times, and yet still the answer is "no." I don't think either company has real interest working with each other, they are still aiming in different direction, and they both have different "ultimate designs."

We'll see more chipset similarities this round than we're used to seeing, I suppose, but overall I don't think it will impact their business plans much.

I could, however, see them as leaving some doors open for potential cooperation if they start losing more ground to Sony rather than gaining.

Those statements made by Satoru Iwata might answer a few of your interrogations Johnny:
Gamespy.com said:
"When it comes to the philosophy of making hardware, our philosophy is completely different than the direction Microsoft is taking," says Iwata.

"I think they are simply looking toward beefed up technology for the next-generation console. And from the developers' and programmers' point of view, that kind of machine will be very difficult to work with. In the end, there will not be a sufficient reward in exchange for the hardships they will need to endure.

"That should create an opportunity for Nintendo because we are trying to make unique hardware -- not just a beefed-up version of GameCube, but something that will be easy to program. In the long run, that will make game development on our new system more profitable."
Link

What might be interesting is ease of portability between Xenon and Revolution, with both being IBM/ATI platforms maybe doing multiplatform titles on both could be cheap for developers.

Tysan said:
What might be interesting is ease of portability between Xenon and Revolution, with both being IBM/ATI platforms maybe doing multiplatform titles on both could be cheap for developers.
They would still have to use middleware solutions, which mean they could also do a port to PS3, in the same way.
I'm implying that multiplatform games would have to use a middleware solution, since i don't see developers hacking, completely, through the 3 architectures to port their games, 90% of them don't do it today, they won't do it tomorrow with more complex machines.
OTOH if XNA is available to the revolution, Xenon/Revolution port might indeed be simplified. But, personally, i don't expect a lot of Xenon games to be ported to revolution, and not to the PS3.

By the way, the CPU solution for the Revolution is still a complete mystery.

There might be a problem porting between Xenon and the Revolution if the Nintendo console is a true Revolution. If it does have a novel interface or input device developers might have a lot to change to get it on the Xenon; sorta of like porting from the DS to the PSP. :oops:

This might be sorta OT, but does anybody think it would be a "good thing" if all the companies worked off of the same console or at least specs. I think it was in an interview of someone at Microsoft talking about XNA, I'll try to find it, that they said they wanted the console business to work like the DVD player business. All DVD players play DVDs but some have unique features, inputs/outputs, etc. I know it would never happen anytime soon it is an interesting idea.
It would really make it all about the games for one thing. And gamers wouldn't be stuck on one console as they could buy games from Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft and they would all work in their machine. I guess the downside would be less powerful hardware since there is less competition. And of course the loss of threads declaring one machine better than the others :LOL: . So, does anyone think a common spec would be a good thing?

Hardware is becoming increasingly irrelevant in relation to the software that runs on it. This will continue. There won't be anything next gen a ps3 can do that a xenon can't and vice versa. It will all come down to branding, marketing, and software.

I would rather have several different consoles on the market, rather than several that's roughly the same :)

XavierS said:
This might be sorta OT, but does anybody think it would be a "good thing" if all the companies worked off of the same console or at least specs. I think it was in an interview of someone at Microsoft talking about XNA, I'll try to find it, that they said they wanted the console business to work like the DVD player business. All DVD players play DVDs but some have unique features, inputs/outputs, etc. I know it would never happen anytime soon it is an interesting idea.
It would really make it all about the games for one thing. And gamers wouldn't be stuck on one console as they could buy games from Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft and they would all work in their machine. I guess the downside would be less powerful hardware since there is less competition. And of course the loss of threads declaring one machine better than the others :LOL: . So, does anyone think a common spec would be a good thing?

When graphics have become photo-realistic and there is absolutely no difference in performance from one chipset to another, I expect the major console players to create a consortium and make console gaming very similar to the dvd market...pretty much identical innards playing identical products but with subtle differences in the secondary functions of each machine (more feature on some machines than others).

Next gen graphics will not be "photorealistic", far from it.
Next gen graphics will have visible differences between ceonsole platforms, you just cant tell them from screenshots like you can't now between PS2, GameCube and xbox :)
Edit: added " " to photorealism, to avoid this thread turning into "what is photorealism" argument ;)

rabidrabbit said:
Next gen graphics will not be photorealistic, far from it.
Next gen graphics will have visible differences between ceonsole platforms, you just cant tell them from screenshots like you can't now between PS2, GameCube and xbox :)

Well, I don't expect photo-realism for at least 2 generations.

Johnny

So based on absolutely no information you believe Nintendo will stop making there own consoles. Instead you think they will buy a console from a company who failed to outsell them this gen while losing billions? A console which will likely lose Nintendo money hand over fist (since its from MS). A console they have no control over and are only allowed to sell in Japan (a country where the last XBox failed to an unbelievable degree). Which means they instantly remove the profits they get from the majority of there market (U.S and Europe). That's if they manage to make any profit at all selling a MS designed console.... They'll do all this for what exactly?, where is the logic in this "suspicion"?

Quite frankly this thread should be locked. Not just because this is such an insane idea, but because its such an old and overused idea as well. This was being said by certain people here ages ago.. there was no sense in it then and nothing has changed. This thread is pointless.

Back