Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

NANOTEC said:
You know what's really interesting? Not one person who was already in the market for the Revolution has changed their mind about buying the console because of the new name. Now that is quite interesting. :oops:

The people who have decide to by the Revo... whatever by that point aren't enough for Nintendo to recoup their development cost, let alone achieve any significant market share.

DemoCoder said:
Two words: Cognitive Dissonance. That's what the f*nb*ys are going through right now.

You're probably right, but at this point, i'm not going to let Wii prevent me from playing Zelda and Metroid. The jokes are as lame as the name. It's funny how fast the internet moves.

6 hours ago i hated the name and laughed at the jokes, now i hate the jokes and just want some Metroid Prime 3 to make me forget the name.

rabidrabbit said:
As I'm not natively english speaker, the "wee" joke is not the first thing that comes to my mind when I see or hear Wii. I first think of "We". Do english speaking folks think of "wee" everytime someone uses "we" in a sentence? I don't think so.
A joke soon gets old and is not funny any more. I think given enough time, the Wii will be just another homophone.

well i've tried to think of a way you can use we in a sentance and the context allowing it to be mistaken for wee, but i cant think of one. as this thread shows wii however can be used in sentances that sound like you're talking about wee.

DemoCoder said:
The comparison to Google, Yahoo, iPOD, Pepsi is ludicrous. Google, nor Yahoo, nor iPOD resemble human bodily waste. For example, Google is a play on Googol which obviously fits the company's image to a T.

To be honest like many people here, I wasn't even aware of any bodily waste relationship with Wii until people from the UK mentioned it.

Two words: Cognitive Dissonance. That's what the f*nb*ys are going through right now.

From what I've seen rabidrabbit has never been a Nintendo f*nb*y and yet his response to this Wii seems very normal. I think for those peope who cannot get over the name after a few laughs may be the ones who have cognitive issues.

assen said:
The people who have decide to by the Revo... whatever by that point aren't enough for Nintendo to recoup their development cost, let alone achieve any significant market share.

I don't get what you're saying.

Mario Wii

Ouch.

mario%20wii.jpg

Still buying it though...

Danalys said:
well i've tried to think of a way you can use we in a sentance and the context allowing it to be mistaken for wee, but i cant think of one. as this thread shows wii however can be used in sentances that sound like you're talking about wee.
Neither are you going to use the Wii in sentences allowing it to be mistaken for wee as much as the jokes would make you think.
Are you going to say
"I play with my Wii", or "I play with the Wii"
It'll be more often referred as the Wii or a Wii, not my Wii, Wii or WiiWii... it'll be called a console, not a name.
The Wired article linked earlier is good.

JasonLD said:
This is exactly what Nintendo wanted...
Wii completely took our attention away from PS3 and Xbox 360...lol
What XB360 and PS3 news is there that this has taken our attention away from? I'm sure if there was meaty news from those platforms they'd be getting plenty of discussion. At the moment there's nothing else apart from an interesting name.

NANOTEC said:
You know what's really interesting? Not one person who was already in the market for the Revolution has changed their mind about buying the console because of the new name. Now that is quite interesting. :oops:
Not really. The people who were interested in the Wii were interested for it's merits etc. They'd be exceptionally shallow people if they change their mind because of the product's name, which in no way impinges on on what it can do. The concern is how people with no prior interest in the Wii will view it when the first thing they hear is a rather embarrassing name.

rabidrabbit said:
Do english speaking folks think of "wee" everytime someone uses "we" in a sentence? I don't think so.
'We' is a pronoun, and appears in a different context to the noun 'wee'. A noun 'wii' appearing in that same context and with the same sound, will have the same connotation.

It might well be a name that'll find acceptance amongst gamers who get past it's initial shock and appreciate the console, but reaching out to the mainstream, it'll never be accepted in the schoolyard, and I doubt Nintendo will be attracting too many mums to the idea either. People will "want a PlayStation" and "want a wii". They will "bring their PlayStation" or "bring the PlayStation", and they will "bring their wii" or "bring the wii". They will "play with the PlayStation" and "Play with the wii". There is already meaning to the sound 'wee' in those contexts, and it's a warm and yellow sound (perhaps fitting Nintendo's wanted warm and sunny image?)

Of course, if Nintendo were deliberately misleading people, and have a name change in mind but thought they'd stir the media with a false name that was sure to get tongues wagging...

I expect I'll buy one (I bought the N64 and Cube just to play the Mario games!) but that doesn't detract from the fact that the name is either a) marketing genius or b) simply braindead.

IMO it's the latter.

PSP rhymes and includes the word "pee", even twice, but it's still a completely different word written and spoken than just "pee".

I'm not sure kids will even make the connection.

The concern is how people with no prior interest in the Wii will view it when the first thing they hear is a rather embarrassing name.

They'll likely be drawn to it out of curiosity then eventually find out what it's all about then they won't really care about the name anymore.

Worst name ever.

They couldn't come up with something better? What about "On" or "Go" that some fans came up with on their own?

Some other Japanese companies actually do some research before naming their prodiucts and that's why Toyota didn't name one of their car models "Fitta" in Sweden.

MasaC said:
Worst name ever.

They couldn't come up with something better? What about "On" or "Go" that some fans came up with on their own?

Some other Japanese companies actually do some research before naming their prodiucts and that's why Toyota didn't name one of their car models "Fitta" in Sweden.

Well they named one of their cars echo.:LOL:

Anyway good read here http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1467976

Shifty Geezer said:
Anyone who's ever worked in a school (which includes me) will know that they will!

I still think Nintendo will always have an advantage when it comes to "kids" even with a console called Wii..of course wii'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
Oh no, please God tell me that this won't start the trend of substituting "we" with "wii"...
It won't last. Vysez's mightii banning stick will kiip spelling in order. (It should be pronouned 'iy', not 'ee'. It's a name that isn't even spelled correctly!)

Back