Rep abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deusp

Banned
It seems to me that every post I make that struck a nerve, I get negative rep. I see the people on the other side of the debate make similar post, yet alas they have amazingly high rep. I sense a double standard here. Shouldn't you just disable negative rep altogether to prevent abuse?

PS: Why can't I give or take any rep?

Unless you present a specific case for us to look at, it's (sadly) too much of an overhead to go looking at every thread you've contributed to, cross checking rep from everyone else that took part in the same discussion.

It seems to me that every post I make that struck a nerve, I get negative rep. I see the people on the other side of the debate make similar post, yet alas they have amazingly high rep. I sense a double standard here. Shouldn't you just disable negative rep altogether to prevent abuse?

PS: Why can't I give or take any rep?

And the infraction on your profile? That was some user hacked the system to treat you unfairly as well? "similar posts" often aren't, or only in the sense that a pat on the back and a punch to the jaw are "similar" in that both involve using the hand to touch someone else.

Neg rep, in probably a majority of cases, turns out to be about tone rather than content. But people who've been neg repped rarely percieve this, preferring to hide behind a victim's mentality that they are being oppressed for their views by "the man".

You may have a point there with your "the man" statement Geo but while B3D is full of amazingly knowledgeable people there does exist a certain elitist attitude amongst some users here towards newcomers.

I got a PM from some guy I can't remember the name of quickly after joining where from wht I recall explained in a rather snooty tone that I'd get farher if I wasn't such a Console X fanboy. I replied and wrote something along the lines that he wasn't very accurate because I didn't actually own Console X and also owned Arch Enemy Console Y. He never replied to that.

So I'm not surprised some new people get bopped with the neg-rep club. It's very easy for a boys' club attitude to develop especially in a group which is privileged in some way - in this case by having many developers and programmers and such amongst its users.
*shrug*
Peace.

And the infraction on your profile? That was some user hacked the system to treat you unfairly as well? "similar posts" often aren't, or only in the sense that a pat on the back and a punch to the jaw are "similar" in that both involve using the hand to touch someone else.

Neg rep, in probably a majority of cases, turns out to be about tone rather than content. But people who've been neg repped rarely percieve this, preferring to hide behind a victim's mentality that they are being oppressed for their views by "the man".

If it's about tone, half the people I debate with are total jerks in that respect, and I can't believe anyone who has seen the console board could ever dispute that. Of course, the people I debate with have very high rep and are very senior members. Me on the other hand, seem to get slammed with "too many generations" and "FUD" even though nothing I said could be construed as either. And that "enough fanboyism" charge sounds like the person giving to me had too much fanboyism (what I said was fairly straightforward and polite).

So if you're expecting me to give you a lockdown solid case, I won't. I can't say that there are plenty of people more rude and more of a jerk than I every was, and these people have very high reputations. If you won't fix this rep abuse, you should abandon negative rep all together. Negative rep seems to be doled out solely because they other disagreed with me and didn't like the way it was told to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some negative rep ages ago because someone said a certain game was innovative, actually made a point of it.

Checked my user cp a couple of days later and sure enough there was negative rep there from someone claiming "no one ever said it was innovative" when the thread is littered with people saying it's innovative:LOL:

As a participant mainly in the console forums here, it's quite clear it pays not to be vocal if you are a fan of Sony consoles, particularly the PS3. People post far worse things than I ever did PS3 topics than I did in 360 ones, yet these people have reps as long as your arm, and I have just recently got back into positive rep.

Rep is about as relevant to me as arguing about who has the biggest penis. (of course it's me by the way ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reasons why I can't add to anyone's rep at all? There's been more than one instance where people have deserved added rep, yet I get an error everytime I try to contribute. This is a double edged sword though, and there's been the same amount of instances where someone needs a good negative repping, yet I don't even see it as an option...

Is my status as a member preventing me from contributing appropriately to rep?

If it's about tone, half the people I debate with are total jerks in that respect, and I can't believe anyone who has seen the console board could ever dispute that. Of course, the people I debate with have very high rep and are very senior members. Me on the other hand, seem to get slammed with "too many generations" and "FUD" even though nothing I said could be construed as either. And that "enough fanboyism" charge sounds like the person giving to me had too much fanboyism.

So if you're expecting me to give you a lockdown solid case, I won't. I can't say that there are plenty of people more rude and more of a jerk than I every was, and these people have very high reputations. If you won't fix this rep abuse, you should abandon negative rep all together. Negative rep seems to be doled out solely because they other disagreed with me and didn't like the way it was told to them.

Having looked at your account, what I see is that you don't have anyone who has given you multiple neg reps. Only one of your neg reps is from someone I'd call a "long-time high-rep user". It's all different people. You are free to stay in denial about what that says about your posting style if you like. It's just unlikely that doing so will result in a long tenure here.

Again, as we've said many times on this issue, any individual rep left is open to argument, just like any individual voters vote for an elective office is open to argument. It's the macro that counts, not the micro. Neg rep is only 1/3 the power of pos rep for a reason as well. Yet people still insist on getting all bent out of shape over individual ones.

Having looked at your account, what I see is that you don't have anyone who has given you multiple neg reps. Only one of your neg reps is from someone I'd call a "long-time high-rep user". It's all different people. You are free to stay in denial about what that says about your posting style if you like. It's just unlikely that doing so will result in a long tenure here.

I never claimed it was by one guy. It's the justification of these negative rep that's the problem. They seem to have very weak justification, and likely the posts in question are not particularly worse off than anything these "long-time high-rep users" post. I don't want to name names, but I can tell you that some of senior members with high rep are quite rude and stubborn, and are guilty of much of what they accuse others of.

Again, as we've said many times on this issue, any individual rep left is open to argument, just like any individual voters vote for an elective office is open to argument. It's the macro that counts, not the micro. Neg rep is only 1/3 the power of pos rep for a reason as well. Yet people still insist on getting all bent out of shape over individual ones.

Except that the ones with high rep have all the say and the ones without don't. I can't say this is fair.

You should be able to leave pos rep comments at least. What does the error message say?

Sorry, cannot give reputation to this post. <br /><br />Please <a href='javascript:history.go(-1)'>click here <a/> to go back to the previous screen.

By the way I demand postive rep for typing that out! It was a bitch ;)

Sorry, cannot give reputation to this post. <br /><br />Please <a href='javascript:history.go(-1)'>click here <a/> to go back to the previous screen.

By the way I demand postive rep for typing that out! It was a bitch ;)

That message should only appear in this forum and the GD forum, which are ineligible to be repped. Are you getting it anywhere else?

That message should only appear in this forum and the GD forum, which are ineligible to be repped. Are you getting it anywhere else?

Jeez that's a good question. I don't really know now that you mention it. I can try giving someone rep in the games section and see if it works then.

"That's not a bug, that's a feature."
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Three points for style, and my sympathies for your headache. ;)

So basically the rep functionality is "broken," but you meant it like that. :p
No, basically that's how the rep system was designed to work. Just because it means you're getting neg repped doesn't mean it isn't working, no matter how you personally feel about it.

BTW-Did I neg rep you? I can't recall, I remember debating if I should or not though on one of your posts.

Geo-

I added positive rep to a member in the games section, but it looks like negative rep still isn't an option for me.

The moral of the story is Ink=stupid or rep=bugged for Ink.

Geo-

I added positive rep to a member in the games section, but it looks like negative rep still isn't an option for me.

The moral of the story is Ink=stupid or rep=bugged for Ink.

Only Senior Members and above can leave neg rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back