*ren* PSN Down, Customer Info Compromised

"This problem cannot be dealt with just by Sony" was what was just said by (I believe) their CIO. That certainly sounds like Sony putting their head in the sand, especially if the initial exploit was due to an out of date Apache install. Law Enforcement is for punitive, post-investigative purposes but has zero to do with prevention and best practices. I am not getting "we screwed up, we are going to right the ship" out of this at all, I am instead getting "Anonymous is so mean. Look, a free cookie!" If anything, Sony seems to be looking at this as a marketing opportunity for Playstation+.

They also brought up Anonymous *again* to try to deflect blame despite there being no evidence whatsoever this has anything to do with them (seems more likely a generic automated script looking for vulnerable systems from what they have said so far).

Cheers

I heard that he said that Anon had attacked their services but there was no clear evidence that is was them.

PSN+ was just mentioned where Kaz made clear that they would Refund those that would like to get out of PSN+ and refund the wallet. How is this a promotion?

Besides, Anon is no one and everyone, so why shouldn´t it be someone that was a part of the original attack? You don´t know, and anon doesn´t know. It´s like seperating pepsi from coke in a bucket of cola.

Stolen from gaf..

33wwsio.jpg

Something about a tunnel being created to get into their application server activating the backdoor through a specific command.

Anyone know anything about an earlier PSN breach one of the reporters seemed to make reference to (not sure if that was translated correctly)?

The translation sucks as it can be hard to tell who is talking sometimes. . .

Kaz was very serious. Compliment on Sony for getting competent simultan translators though, who knew all the relevant technical terms.

So Sony doesn't take their part of the responsibility for all this. They don't apologise for taking so long to imform their customers. They only regret that this attack on their network has happened.

Sony is a failure of a company.

2:52 JST: Kaz suggests that users may be prompted to change PSN passwords more frequently in future.
How, exactly, does this help either protect the users data, or stop another attack in the future?

If a hacker steals the password database, they're still going to have the _current_ password, no matter if you changed it a week ago.

Fricking security theater...

I'm interested in the lawsuits that will come of this. Not to impressed with sony at the moment

Interested in what way? How much pain it will inflict or how much incompetence that will be brought to light?

I can´t recall that you have ever been impressed with Sony so nothing new there :)

Interested in what way? How much pain it will inflict or how much incompetence that will be brought to light?

I can´t recall that you have ever been impressed with Sony so nothing new there :)

I want to see what personal information is worth.

I'm lucky that i never use credit card information for any online thing (even amazon i use pre paid credit cards) . However for my cousin they most likely have his credit card , the user id he uses for most of his info , a bunch of security questions and i'm sure now he has to retire at least one password that he uses for a few diffrent things.

How much is that worth in the eyes of the courts that will handle it ? How much is it worht personaly to any one of us.

I know its worth more than even a $600 playstation so I already know sony wont compensate me the way i'd like , to others it may be worth nothing and to sony it only seems to be worth a month of psn + which costs what $3 bucks to the user ?

Anyway I'm sure alot of people moving foward will still trust sony. I however can't see how anyone would even think of buying a sony product in the future. Its one thing for this to happen with an exploit that no one knew about but the hackers found. But to have a known exploit /back door sitting wide open is insane !

In the end I hope this makes all the companys out there do a double take at their servers and secure them better

So Sony doesn't take their part of the responsibility for all this. They don't apologise for taking so long to imform their customers. They only regret that this attack on their network has happened.

Sony is a failure of a company.

Had this been on any other forum i would call this flamebait. I guess falling on their swords and killing themselves and their families is the only way to apologies.

They had an extended press conference were they made it clear that they would cover costs on any CC fraud/exchange. They would reimburse PSN+ customers and PSN users, and allow anyone that wants to cancel PSN+ and or funds in the wallet. Plus they will provide free games and other stuff to say "welcome back" when PSN goes online.

They gave an ok explanation on why they didn´t hit the kill switch sooner or inform their users, goes somewhat in line with my made up theories. It´s a case of felling stupid afterwards, the next time something like this happens they will react faster.

I however can't see how anyone would even think of buying a sony product in the future.

Easy, they should be one of the few companies that really REALLY know the value of protecting their customers information in the future.

I am going for PSN+ the moment PSN goes live and is adding a new SLIM to my collection :)

Really corn you listened to all that conference and didn't hear Sony take responsibility once?

I listened to what was in that link earlier, which I now see was only 28 minutes of over a hour long conference. :???:

But unless they apologised for way the Sony handled the situation, taking a week to imform their customers, then I stand by what I said.

Easy, they should be one of the few companies that really REALLY know the value of protecting their customers information in the future.

I am going for PSN+ the moment PSN goes live and is adding a new SLIM to my collection :)

To me that seems very fanboish . Sony reacted horribly to this and all they can really do is improve (i hope ) how they handle it in the future . But this was really bad and i wont touch a sony product with a ten foot pole .

Sony has gone from a company i didn't care about much to a company i will avoid at all costs. I've had problems with their products in the past (ones i've owned) but what they did with geohot and now this . Its just to much for me to ever do busniess with them again.

I guess everyone has diffrent prioritys but i don't see how you already want to give them more money for having your information stolen.

If i come rob your house will you give me money for a cab home also ?

Indeed at least in the short term both their security practices in their firmware of their hardware and of their networks will be beefed up considerably and most likely to the level of going overboard as a reaction of what happened. It's perfectly plausible they may get complacent again sometime in the future but at least for the near future they will be pretty damn secure.

Yeah corn you barely heard any of it. It was about an hour and 50 minute conference. They apologized numerous times and stated they would work with consumers to either refund their money they have left/cancel their accounts/pay for their cc change and other numerous things.

Back