*ren* PSN Down, Customer Info Compromised

They are using FIFA to capitalize on the exploit since you can sell the points on eBay. Some of the exploits involved just using up the XBL points. But MS can shut it down if it's within XBL control.

Some of the victims don't play FIFA at all. Something may be fishy with the XBL-FIFA connection, but the users are caught in between now. eastmen had to complain to BBB to get MS to expedite his case #. MS and EA should work together on this.

Perhaps we need to differentiate between hack and exploit. If I print 100 10% coupons on my color printer and successfully use them at a Target store, that doesn't mean I hacked Target, although I appreciate how "Target Hacked!!" makes for a more interesting headline and hence more site hits.

The distinction is meaningless to the victims. Some of the victims don't play FIFA, and have unique password in XBL (They didn't give it out). But they still got hit. Hackers spent $100 or more of their money, they will be mad as hell (since XBL account will be locked for investigation too). A few got hit more than once.

Insisting that it must be a phishing attack will just anger them more, 'specially if they insist they didn't do anything wrong.

The distinction is meaningless to the victims. Some of the victims don't play FIFA, and have unique password in XBL. But they still got hit. Hackers spent $100 or more of their money, they will be mad as hell (since XBL account will be locked for investigation too). A few got hit more than once.

You're either totally missing the point or purposely skirting it. If you can't see the difference between the severity of a real hack, to users, companies, reputation, etc, and an exploit then forget it.

I'm saying based on the victims' comments, it may not be pure phishing attack. Even if it's an XBL-FIFA connection issue, there should be ways to lock it down further (In one of the user reports, the gamer's wife doesn't have an EA account, and certainly don't play FIFA but she was hacked. It sounded like her account was dormant/not used anymore before the incident).

The victims are also asking why MS can't add an additional security check before checkout to minimize fraudulent purchases.

I'm saying based on the victims' comments, it may not be pure phishing attack.

So suddenly people who don't understand the difference are able to reason based on what happened and hint it IS in fact a hack that exploits system, not a social exploit? :)

Phishing ? It's easy to tell whether they gave a unique password over the web or to someone before. Some of the victims like eastmen are pretty tech savvy.

If it was an XBLive hack then it should have affected more than just Fifa users.
Well it did! (not that that means it's a hack ;)) Potentially the user data could have been obtained by a hack or by phishing. It sounds like phishing though once the sales of FIFA goods was explained.

I just got an early Christmas present replacement slim PS3 :)D). Its installed FW was 3.66. Where does that place it in the hackability stakes?

Shifty Geezer said:
I just got an early Christmas present replacement slim PS3 :)D). Its installed FW was 3.66. Where does that place it in the hackability stakes?

Upgrade to 3.73, in 2 weeks KaKaRoTo will begin finishing a 'jailbreak' for 3.73 to install pkg files and if the other parts of the jailbreak follow suite (Run homebrew, peek & poke support) full CFW for 3.73 should be available in a month or so. Publicly you can only jailbreak 3.56 and below.

Upgrade to 3.73, in 2 weeks KaKaRoTo will begin finishing a 'jailbreak' for 3.73 to install pkg files and if the other parts of the jailbreak follow suite (Run homebrew, peek & poke support) full CFW for 3.73 should be available in a month or so. Publicly you can only jailbreak 3.56 and below.
I upgraded anyway. I've no interested in jailbreaking. I just didn't know what the highest cracked level so far is, which you inform me is 3.56. So these consoles are releasing in secure form as I'd expect, but it was worth checking. ;)

Congrats! May this one last you many years :) Is this a proper new one now?

You are quite optimistic when kakaroto himself says
I’ve seen people say (and even write it in their front page news) that I’ll release it in two weeks after I come back from vacation. That is not true and I never said that.

http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/

But anyway :)

Another high profile wave foiled...

Cyber criminals attempt to hack into AT&T, no accounts compromised
http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/21/att-hack/

AT&T was the target of an attack today when cyber criminals attempted to access customer information by connecting phone numbers to online accounts.

“We do not know the intent, but we are concerned they may attempt to deceive our customers by sending them unsolicited texts or emails claiming to be from AT&T and requesting sensitive personal information like Social Security numbers or passwords,” an AT&T spokesperson said in an e-mail to VentureBeat regarding the company’s concerns about affected one percent.

The company explained the attack was “an organized attempt to obtain information,” meaning a number of people working together as opposed to a lone hacker. No accounts were successfully breached, however. Those trying to gain access to customer accounts were using “auto script technology,” according to a company statement, which attempted to link AT&T phone numbers to online accounts.

In case people are curious like me...

EXCLUSIVE: Infamous international hacking group LulzSec brought down by own leader
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/06/hacking-group-lulzsec-swept-up-by-law-enforcement/

Sabu gave his team away. He was arrested secretly June last year.

Law enforcement agents on two continents swooped in on top members of the infamous computer hacking group LulzSec early this morning, and acting largely on evidence gathered by the organization’s brazen leader -- who sources say has been secretly working for the government for months -- arrested three and charged two more with conspiracy.

Charges against four of the five were based on a conspiracy case filed in New York federal court, FoxNews.com has learned. An indictment charging the suspects, who include two men from Great Britain, two from Ireland and an American in Chicago, is expected to be unsealed Tuesday morning in the Southern District of New York.

Sony's latest plan to prevent hacking, theft, and fraud
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/165665/Sonys_latest_plan_to_prevent_hacking_theft_and_fraud.php

Speaking to the security-focused SC Magazine, Sony's head of security for SEN Brett Wahlin explained that the company hopes to leverage some sociological principles to detect, prevent, and eliminate threats to its recently rebranded Sony Entertainment Network.

"The types of attacks we see are by groups with social agendas. The methods they use aren’t the same as the state-sponsored guys," he said. "At Sony, we are modifying our programs to deal less with state-sponsored [attacks] and more with socially-motivated hackers."

To do so, Sony will also be keeping a closer eye on its staff members around the world. Sony's employees are spread across numerous countries and divisions, and each has varying levels of access to the company's key systems. Sony's security team needs to watch over all of them to make sure they don't become the target of a future breach.

Original Source: http://www.scmagazine.com.au/Feature/293365,exclusive-how-sony-is-fighting-back.aspx

Back