Remote desktop

alexsok

Regular
So I downloaded this proggie at www.teamviewer.com, a really simple point-and-click style way to setup a remote connection between pc's and i've been toying with it with my friend in another country, but the problem is that whenever me or him view our desktops, there is no way to view movies.

I know that remote desktop and directx are generally incompatible, but is there any way to bring this functionality in by a backdoor method? :)

Remote desktop apps tend to not support video as what you're seeing on the local machine essentially is a video of what's going on at the other end. Depending on the OS and application used you might get something to work by disabling hardware acceleration features or changing to a particular renderer. Either way it'll be pretty crap since these apps are designed to compress & send as little image data as possible to provide a responsive user experience. Trying to capture and transmit a decoded video stream will be both bandwidth and processing intensive. You'll be much better served setting up a streaming solution between you and your friend outside of the virtual desktop environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying guys.
About downloading movies - he has a very slow connection so it's unreal. So no way to set it up in virtual desktop I see...

About downloading movies - he has a very slow connection so it's unreal. So no way to set it up in virtual desktop I see...

Its doubtful you'd much of anything then otherwise. You could try streaming it, but even then. Check out a application like Orb, its a simple server on one end and will allow the other person to stream audio, video, etc from the others.

I have Microsoft's remote desktop setup at home and the video isn't smooth across my wireless g network so it definitely won't work over the web. Audio sounds fine though.

Just think about it for a second. Movies are already highly compressed. If downloading them is out of the question because of lack of bandwith - how is remote desktop software (which is - basically and grossly simplified - providing compression specifically tailored for desktop graphics) supposed to help?

Just think about it for a second. Movies are already highly compressed. If downloading them is out of the question because of lack of bandwith - how is remote desktop software (which is - basically and grossly simplified - providing compression specifically tailored for desktop graphics) supposed to help?
:devilish: By getting his friend with the, say, HD video in a 10x10 (or smaller) pixel window :devilish: :p

Back