Problems with the Wii Remote?

DemoCoder

Veteran
(this is not a comparison thread, not a thread to 'attack' the Wii, but a serious discussion of what may or may not been limitations of the sensor technology)

Did anyone else read the hands-on preview of Red Steel at IGN? It raises some cause for alarm.

Yes, I have been a wiimote skeptic in the past, but it seems to confirm everything I've said in other threads. During the Nintendo press conference, I pointed out that the aiming in the video seemed jerky with a lot of 'oversteer' . Someone else pointed out that the 'RTS' movement style (move reticle to corner of screen to change view) would be problematic. Last week, after the Madden Wii interview, I pointed out that "gesture recognition" would be a poor use of the Wii, essentially replacing button presses. IGN's description of the sword fight shows why gesture recognition is a poor design choice: lag. One must do the action with one's arm, and then wait for the onscreen action to catch up moments later (with pre-canned animation).

The Wii Remote does have the potential to be revolutionary. And I think many of the people initially excited about it imagined it like I do (see Madden Wii "assumptions"), as essentially giving the console the ability to track your hand completely, and in real time, so that the Wii would interpret the movements of your hand exactly within the virtual world of the game. It would put your hand or whatever you imagined holding in it *in the game* as opposed to replacing a button click with a slash of the hand.

This means, if I imagined I was holding a hammer, and I swung a hammer in the game, I would see the onscreen hammer react smoothy and synchronously to the way my real hand is moving. If I was holding a ping pong paddle, the paddle would move in arcs and angles directly related to the way my arm is moving.

It's not clear from the Tennis video, if this is accurately being modeled, or if it is using simple trigger motions. The tennis game isn't exactly Virtua Tennis or Top Spin, so it's probably unlikely.

Now here's the real question (technical question. I am not asking if games could be fun if they didn't have fully accurate tracking):

1) does the remote have the accuracy and sampling rate to truly track the full range (over distances) hand motion to provide on-screen avatar function and put you "in the game"?

2) what are the limitations of the sensor bar setup, to wit:
IGN said:
Since the sensor bar is placed above or below the television, players point at the bar itself, not at the screen.

Can this be calibrated away? How much drift is there, so when the user is making sweep motions in which they are not pointing at the sensor bar, what happens to accuracy?

I think everyone assumed, even me, that the core and central feature that Nintendo is resting their platform on -- the controller -- would have to work and respond to nigh perfection.

For now, it seems the readiness to hand of what should be the ultimate readiness to hand controller on one of the premier showcase games has issues to be worked out:

IGN said:
Again, we played this demo over and over with multiple set-ups, and each time we had the same conclusion: Red Steel is harder to control than dual analog or a PC mouse.

Is it just Red Steel? Why would the Red Steel developers have so many problems with sensitivity? Why the gesture recognition? Is Red Steel originally a GC game that was back ported to use the controller?

I think the issues were more software related specifically to Red Steel myself... None of the other games seemed to have exhibited anywhere near the issues that it seemed to have. Granted a lot of the games seemed to be a bit simplistic in terms of leveraging the controls (e.g. the Tennis game wasn't particularly challenging or anything to hit the balls, in fact it wasn't too much different of an experience (IMO other than perspective) than playing Virtua Tennis on the DC with the Bass Fishing controller).

Speaking of ping pong paddles, there were a lot of gimmicky controllers in Kentia hall doing just that (some outfit that I can't remember had a ping pong demo game using a camera and paddles) Hori had their sword controller for Onimusha 3, and there were a couple of body harness type rigs for fighting games...

Did you see any games that used the wiimote to track head direction (where you're looking) instead of a targeting reticle?

Did you come across any games that did not use simplistic gestural approaches to activate animations? That is, you have to do predefined motion, and how well you move doesn't really control anything except behalf velocity or a boolean to activate certain pre-canned animations?

I think the spec for the chip that's in Wii remote was posted here somewhere.

What other FPS were on demo for Wii ? Was Metroid Prime 3 on demo ? That's a pretty horrible conclusion for Red Steel.

The thing about Wii remote, is that it still looks like a gimmick. Its great for show, but once I take it home, play it for several days and I'll be back to using the old style controller.

I doubt anyone besides ERP could help you as none had played it with or dev for.

Thought I only heard more complaints about RS too, so it seems like it is from SW, anyway I would like to know a more professional answer too.

I've only used it in trivial test applications, but it does have noticeable lag, although my understanding is that there is some tuning that can be done in this regard.

The pointing is surprisingly accurate.

I'm still not convinced I want to wave my arms around to play a game.

Having said that I'll buy one for Mario, Zelda and the retro N games.

ERP said:
I've only used it in trivial test applications, but it does have noticeable lag, although my understanding is that there is some tuning that can be done in this regard.

Thanks. Do you know why that lag happens, HW, SW, system/conception? Can you share any more info on the subject?

DemoCoder said:
Did you see any games that used the wiimote to track head direction (where you're looking) instead of a targeting reticle?

Did you come across any games that did not use simplistic gestural approaches to activate animations? That is, you have to do predefined motion, and how well you move doesn't really control anything except behalf velocity or a boolean to activate certain pre-canned animations?

This demo seemed to have the tightest controls of the conference, though it wasn't a first person shooter. http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707953p1.html

I agree that the controls in Red Steel are currently garbage, but I think you are way, way to early to make the assumption that the hardware is at fault.

The control will have to be seamless to compensate for the inferior graphics.

And yeah, it seems a lot of the applications are to replace button presses with gestures.

You will have to at least sit forward or stand up so your arms will free to move around.

Lets see how long the novelty lasts.

pc999 said:
Thanks. Do you know why that lag happens, HW, SW, system/conception? Can you share any more info on the subject?
Given Patku's report on DS3's motion controller, it seems a limitation of the motion sensors, at least in part. I hope they can refine it somehow. For Wii controller to manage it's potential when first announced, what DemoCoder and myself are hoping for, it needs to be crisp, exact, and allow you to interface with the virtual character in a 1:1 motion correlation.

Didnt saw that report, here can I find it?

I really hope they can hit 1:1 motion correlation with 1 frame lag as this is really disapointing IMO.

I am wondering about this lag and online play, if there is any lag by the FHC wouldnt be, the online, very problematic?

Thanks. Still if the tech is not the same probably isnt a fair comparition, plus that does have much less SW work and experimentation on it.

I expect the components to be very similar reading three-dimenstional motion. There's only really a couple of choices of which MEMS to use.

The fact reports are of a lag across both platforms suggests to me it'll be a similar cause. If they both have a similar lag for the same activities caused by totally different reasons, that'd be quite something!

IIRC One (from our forum)(?) said that Sony built those too so I guess they are using them and Nintendo no.

Anyway, I saw the trailer from RS, not from te show floor demos, and in it the aim and sword fighting is very diferent and better (it is what we expected it would be) than the demo (even gfx) meybe Wii is supossed to gain some new HW (eg the GPU still not finished) for final kits that isnt in the E3 kits yet (like the no representative PS3 o,r in last year, XB360 ones) even ubisoft (in the press conf.) said they had some problems, that would explain things.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that you have to keep your arm extended to use the Wii controller. Did Nintendo force an elbow extension brace that I'm not aware of?

Again, we played this demo over and over with multiple set-ups, and each time we had the same conclusion: Red Steel is harder to control than dual analog or a PC mouse

DemoCoder said:
Is it just Red Steel? Why would the Red Steel developers have so many problems with sensitivity? Why the gesture recognition? Is Red Steel originally a GC game that was back ported to use the controller?

IGN also did a hands on preview with Metroid Prime 3 and didn't have these problems, so yes it is a software problem in Red Steele, one they will hopefully improve as the games nears completion. Having said that I also think some of it comes down to the way people are playing (the way Nintendo are making them play really). People are standing to play this game, why? Why didn't Nintendo get some comfortable seats in there? Its not a lightgun game after all, you don't need to, and in fact shouldn't, stand with your arm outstretched to play a game like RS. You should be sitting down with the controller rested on your knee. Otherwise, like most other people, your hand will shake and lessen accuracy.

Teasy said:
IGN also did a hands on preview with Metroid Prime 3 and didn't have these problems, so yes it is a software problem in Red Steele, one they will hopefully improve as the games nears completion. Having said that I also think some of it comes down to the way people are playing (the way Nintendo are making them play really). People are standing to play this game, why? Why didn't Nintendo get some comfortable seats in there? Its not a lightgun game after all, you don't need to, and in fact shouldn't, stand with your arm outstretched to play a game like RS. You should be sitting down with the controller rested on your knee. Otherwise, like most other people, your hand will shake and lessen accuracy.

Actually, Metroid Prime 3 seems to be the rolemodel concerning remote implementation for FPS on Wii. They've included sensitivity settings, so that everyone can choose the sensitivity he likes.

Despite the limited number of Metroid kiosks at E3, and the incredibly long and slow lines to play Retro’s newest game, I finally got a chance to play the second half of the demo. More importantly, I finally figured out how to control the game without so much frustration.

The trick to good control in the E3 demo of Corruption is to enable “Expert" sensitivity in the pause menu. This setting allows you to perform all the aiming and turning with small, precise wrist movements, instead of larger movements of your entire arm which are required at the default sensitivity. Because you aren’t moving the remote nearly as much, it won’t drift outside of the sensor bar’s range, so you avoid the weird view-freeze bug and subsequent auto-calibration fix mentioned in my first set of impressions. It’s also just easier and more comfortable to play the game with smaller movements, and you can turn faster to keep up with quick flying enemies.

Back