Rein mouths off again, the usual

That's the same everywhere there. I doubt anyone would boycott a system for it's entire life on the grounds it was released later into their country than others. That's a preposterous notion. Of course people are annoyed, but they've no way to express that if the only thing Sony will judge reaction by is sales of their system.

Not the best way he said it but that man simply speaks the truth. It didn't matter for the popularity of the PS2 and most likely won't for the PS3.

Do you think that just maybe the reason it didn't matter for the PS2 was the fact that the PS2 launched only 1 month after the US launch and was out in time for Christmas shopping season?

Won't be the same for the PS3.

MS and Nintendo both delivering on their promised launch schedules while Sony misses theirs won't help either.

That's the same everywhere there. I doubt anyone would boycott a system for it's entire life on the grounds it was released later into their country than others. That's a preposterous notion. Of course people are annoyed, but they've no way to express that if the only thing Sony will judge reaction by is sales of their system.

Ahh, but they do have a way to express that.

Let's wait and see how well the PS3 sells there.

Ahh, but they do have a way to express that.
Like i said, no-one's going to boycott the product. At worst some people will be tired of waiting and get an XB360 instead, but if you're amongst the early-adopters looking forwards to PS3, that's improbable. Instead they'll whinge amd moan and grumble and pre-order and queue up and get their PS3 at the earliest opportunity.

The x-mas shopping season is irrelevent when you have a launch shortage. All that can be produced will be sold. The extra seasonable consumer activity only matters if you either a) can manufacture enough to meet demand or b) raise prices according to demand instead of sticking with one MSRP. Otherwise, you can't earn anymore money because of the season, and you can't increase your marketshare either.

The PS3 is going to sell out, period. The PS2 sold out and was terribly difficult to get in the US when it launched. I was not able to get one until the following April.

The reason they can stay so small is that they outsource everything they can. As an example he mentions 3D-models of cars and characters. It's just how well you manage and supervise your outsourcings. Engine couldn't be outsourced, since they couldn't find a suitable one for their needs so they had to build it from a scratch.

Well... they're outsourcing, which means that they also need more than 30 people to make a nextgen game, right? So, am I wrong or am I right? :)

Also note that outsourcing costs a lot of money...

Like i said, no-one's going to boycott the product. At worst some people will be tired of waiting and get an XB360 instead, but if you're amongst the early-adopters looking forwards to PS3, that's improbable. Instead they'll whinge amd moan and grumble and pre-order and queue up and get their PS3 at the earliest opportunity.

Yeah, that's what you say.

Speaking to anyone who will fucking listen, Nudel said that Jamie MacDonald is a LYING MOTHERFUCKING CUNT FUCK YOU!!!!

Dear Jamie MacDonald,

We mind

Love and kisses
Europe

So Europe doesn't care about the PS3 being late?
Damn right, we won't bother buying your overpriced, overhyped, ugly (it looks like an airconditioning device) console... at .... all. Screw you Sony.

Just because it's late and we still buy it, it doesn't mean that we didn't mind waiting.

Dear Jamie MacDonald,

You are an ass.

Seriously

Europe.

I can't help but laugh at MacDonald. I also hate him for saying we don't mind the delays.

That's just a few of the reactions from people here:

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?comments=44140

So clearly what you say may not be what everyone actually thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's what you say.So clearly what you say may not be what everyone actually thinks.
1) How many of those want a PS3 and yet won't buy one over the next 5 years when it's finally released? We're talking sales here, not verbal feedback.

2) People rant. People enjoy ranting. You know how many hatemails and death-threats are sent to politicians and celebs? Zillions. But they don't all get killed off. What people say and what people do are often 2 very different things.

Just look at all the products that have released late into Europe, at inflated prices, and still sold well. Being late won't affect sales. Or perhaps you think when PSP was delayed (two or three times) there wasn't a single grumble on any gaming forums, and with PS3 it's different because this time, people are actually saying they're disappointed?

1) How many of those want a PS3 and yet won't buy one over the next 5 years when it's finally released? We're talking sales here, not verbal feedback.

2) People rant. People enjoy ranting. You know how many hatemails and death-threats are sent to politicians and celebs? Zillions. But they don't all get killed off. What people say and what people do are often 2 very different things.

Just look at all the products that have released late into Europe, at inflated prices, and still sold well. Being late won't affect sales. Or perhaps you think when PSP was delayed (two or three times) there wasn't a single grumble on any gaming forums, and with PS3 it's different because this time, people are actually saying they're disappointed?

I agree, if something ought to happen relating marketshares in europe there isn't only a one thing that can melt Sonys mindshare away, this certainly isn't enough. It would take lot's of things for that to happen, I know that some people bought X360 now because of this, but it was more to do with the need to have a next gen system now. It's very hard to claim that those people aren't going to buy PS3 in the future. If they ever were serious about buying it, they'll probably do so in the future, even if they are angry now.

All in all this only a small negative thing for Sony, it certainly won't help, but it won't hurt much either.

Obviously we only get upset about a delay if we care about buying it. ;)

Typically, it's the tech-freaks that want a PS3 early. The majority won't follow suit until Christmas 2007. However, I'm still very interested in how well the 360 will do in Europe over Christmas. There's a chance that this time (unlike last time) shop-owners will start making an effort to actually sell them. So far, it almost seems as shopkeepers really don't care. Which might be true - they make their profits on gamesales, and right now PS2 and DS probably are more interesting to them. And while the 360 games do well in the UK, the number of titles are much smaller, so individual titles are more likely to stand out (standout titles have no real competition, budget or otherwise).

What you will see happen is that shopowners will try to clear out the old stuff first (old PS2 and Xbox stock). GameCube and Xbox games are in fact disappearing from the shops, and while both PS2 and Xbox games are often in budget bins, the majority of the shelf-space is still devoted to PS2 games in most stores.

I think the 360 has the opportunity to double its European installbase over the holiday season, but that would still only put it at about 3 million and I don't know if that will be enough. Worst case for 360, but still very much possible, is that the PS3 overtakes them by 31 December 2007. Once that happens, they'll have lost Europe.

For the U.S. I'm much more optimistic for the 360, where I think they can hold onto the lead much longer, and if they play their cards right, then the price difference might even win the market. However, I'm worried that their commitment to windows gaming may actually hurt the 360, with PCs faster than ever before overtaking the 360 in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Japan, on the other hand, despite developers appreciating the system (especially in terms of excellent support, tools, and reliable release dates ;) ), the market really isn't interested enough. At best, the 360 may lay a foundation for a moderately successful 720 - but they will have to keep making a big investment over a long period to reach that goal.

Once the Wii and PS3 are out, those will likely take care of more than 90% of the market.

Back