Reeves: 1M PS3 Pal sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipo

Veteran
http://www.mcvuk.com/opinion/32/The-PS3-powers-on

I’m happy to say that early last week we broke through the one million sell-through mark on PS3. That was sell-through across all PAL territories – and we achieved that in nine and a half weeks. That’s faster than both PS2 and PSone.

In terms of breakdown by Euro territories, the UK did very well. They are probably up to 25 per cent of business, so have made a great star. And we’re particularly pleased with Iberia and France. They are neck and neck.

I can confirm that it’s highly unlikely that the 20Gb version will be launch in PAL territories. The majority of retailers are happy that we launched with just the one unit. It has made things simple for them.

I don’t feel competing with Xbox Live; we feel we’re in a different stadium. And with the introduction of Home at Christmas, we’re going in a completely different direction with something very entertaining.

I found this interesting as well.
In terms of software, we’ve sold in about two million pieces of first party software. And the big ones are Resistance: Fall of Man at about 600,000 units and Motorstorm at just over the 500,000 mark. We’re obviously very happy that thse two new IPs have done so well.
The WW numbers for Resistance must be pretty good.

As for the 80Gb console, there are markets like Korea where there’s very high broadband penetration and the people there are used to downloading content, so they require a certain size hard drive. But at the moment we don’t see a requirement for launching this version in Europe. Certainly not in the foreseeable future.
"not in the foreseeable future" I think it means that it will find its way to US first, where they they are in a bigger need to revitalise their market present.
The PS3 has only been on the PAL market for ten weeks, so it is still fresh, maybe Europe will see it late fall.

Guess that kinds of put things in perspective. Sales havent been that bad in Europe. Still the massive launch figures helped boost that total.

As people haven mentioned, if Sony could get Pro Evo 7 out early, along with GT a couple of months before Christmas, PS3 sales will go through the roof over here.

Pro Evo+GT5+GTA 4 = big sales.

GT won't be out this year, and the other two are multi-platform.

Sony has to do massive promotion for the other exclusives and hope they are AAA titles...

Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet, Home, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, SingStar, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Lair.
That's a pretty strong PS3 exclusive line-up for the rest of the year, if they're not selling some hardware I don't know what will...
Add to that GTA4 + other multiplatform titles.
...and don't forget Blu-ray movies like Spiderman 3.

Compared to BioShock, Forza 2, Dirt, Halo3, Mass Effect,, GTA4, PGR4, Army of 2, Brothers in Arms 3,Splinter Cell Conviction and mean the list just goes on and on.

I have a both consoles and the launch schedule for the 360 is just an order of magnitude stronger than PS3.

Sad but true.

GT won't be out this year, and the other two are multi-platform.

A GT Prologue was announced, and I think that we'll still see something before Christmas, similar to the GT:HD Demo. I'm expecting someting along the lines of GT4 Prologue, but with online racing and some other tidbits that they want to get experience with before they release GT5 proper. With the possibility that this 'Prologue' will develop into something more than that.

And yes, the other two are multi-platform, but it's not that simple. There are many people over here who are intent on buying a Playstation 3, but quite simply are waiting until one of the two soccer games comes out. Sounds crazy, but I assure you its true.

... it's not that simple. There are many people over here who are intent on buying a Playstation 3, but quite simply are waiting until one of the two soccer games comes out. Sounds crazy, but I assure you its true.

And I can assure you the price of the system has to be a lot lower before it will fly of the shelves.

Even then, it's not like there aren't good exclusives on other (cheaper) platforms too. Combine this with multiplatform titles and a lower system price...

So we agree, it's not that simple. ;)

Compared to BioShock, Forza 2, Dirt, Halo3, Mass Effect,, GTA4, PGR4, Army of 2, Brothers in Arms 3,Splinter Cell Conviction and mean the list just goes on and on.

I have a both consoles and the launch schedule for the 360 is just an order of magnitude stronger than PS3.

Sad but true.

IIRC, army of two , BIA3, GTA4, Dirt, ... are all multiplatform so I don't see the reason to include these titles in your "compare list" and why it should be sad.

Sad but true.
Well, if you want to throw in all the multiplatform titles and some already released titles too, I revise:
Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet, Home, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, SingStar, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Lair, Kane & Lynch, Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry 4, Dirt, GTA4, Army Of 2, Brothers In Arms 3... and the list just goes on and on...
Just can't see the order of magnitude.

In few weeks on e3, we will know more about fall/winter lineup. I still hope that mgs4 will ship this year...

Sad but true.

Agreed. 2007 is much stronger for xb360.

It seems Sony is setting themselves up for a very strong 2008 and honestly I don't know if MS has any answers for Sony's big guns in '08.

My only question is whether '08 will be too late to recapture lost marketshare.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MS delay a few of their 2007 titles to balance their release schedule a bit.

It seems Sony is setting themselves up for a very strong 2008 and honestly I don't know if MS has any answers for Sony's big guns in '08.

I'm not sure I'm entirely with you there. Mainly because I have no real idea what Sony's '08 line-up is like! They've largely continued with their "zero-leaks/news" policy.

Of course, if you wanna be *realistic* about it you could easily say that some of those supposed Sony '07 titles will slip to '08? Hmm.

Are most people thinking that the titles listed here...

Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet, Home, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, SingStar, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Lair, Kane & Lynch, Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry 4, Dirt, GTA4, Army Of 2, Brothers In Arms 3...

are 100% guaranteed for 2007? (Personally I don't see anything that stands out as likely to be delayed...)

I'll caveat with... I've sat here and had a think about Sony releases for '08 and came up with GT5, KZ2, Getaway. Nothing else is guaranteed. Of course it's natural to think there'll be many other titles to accompany these (and the others I've forgotten) but I wouldn't automatically assume that the common perception is that Sony are better set for '08 than MS are.

I'm just sayin' is all... :)

Agreed. 2007 is much stronger for xb360.

I'm not sure if it's *much* stronger. They have a lot of good stuff on PS3 this year. I think the price of the machine will be too high though.

There are some big ones coming up for sure, but I'm certain MS has surprises too.

And then there's Gears 2 for holiday 08. ;)

IMHO: both machines have a strong line up. It comes down to price/marketing/brand loyalty...

I'm not sure I'm entirely with you there. Mainly because I have no real idea what Sony's '08 line-up is like! They've largely continued with their "zero-leaks/news" policy.

Of course, if you wanna be *realistic* about it you could easily say that some of those supposed Sony '07 titles will slip to '08? Hmm.

Are most people thinking that the titles listed here...

are 100% guaranteed for 2007? (Personally I don't see anything that stands out as likely to be delayed...)

I'll caveat with... I've sat here and had a think about Sony releases for '08 and came up with GT5, KZ2, Getaway. Nothing else is guaranteed. Of course it's natural to think there'll be many other titles to accompany these (and the others I've forgotten) but I wouldn't automatically assume that the common perception is that Sony are better set for '08 than MS are.

I'm just sayin' is all... :)

GT5
KZ2
Getaway
MGS4
FF

Those are some pretty big (exclusive) guns that are likely shipping in 2008 ;)

For MS, the only one I know of is Alan Wake.

MS will have no big time exclusive racer for 08, their answer for mgs4 is shipping in 07, ditto for FF, and KZ2.

It seems MS was positioning themselves for a bigtime battle in 2007 with Sony while Sony was aiming for 08.

Not saying these are the only games which matter, just that they are the (known) big exclusive pillars a system stands on.

I'm not sure if it's *much* stronger...

I am. LOL

Seriously:
PGR4+Forza2 v ...
Halo3 v ...
Lost Odyssey + Blue Dragon + Mass Effect v ...
SC5 v ...

To be fair, Drake may be great, and by great I mean GREAT. Same for HS. They are unknown though and more important IMO, they don't address popular genres such as RPG, Street Racer, FPS, etc.

Not to say they will have nothing on offer, but these genres are missing exclusive games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back