Red Steel 2

Too bad. No matter what people might say I didnt think the first game was really that bad and the last few levels, like the dojo with all the rain and lightning even looked pretty good to me at the time. They should have worked from there. I've seen the recent scans and I get the ''Oh no'' feeling which most of the time is right.

From what I have read it seems very interesting, but I need to see real gameplay first.

I think the graphics look pretty good. Watch the trailer.

Is that real gameplay?

If so it look very nice gfx wise (actually above the scans I saw but better qualitity and motion can do that) and gameplay wise it seems to good to even consider it is real gameplay (for now).

The low geometry and jaggies suggest in-game to me. The limited environments as shown here would mean loads of RAM for textures. The DOF blur hides a lot of the jaggies, and the JPEGing helps too! Not sure why they're 720p. They don't look upscaled. I expect the game to look like this in play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well fearsome's update says categorical pre-production concept render. I think it's well targetted though and the game will have the same visual feel, though I'm not sure if the DOF will make it to that quality.

Well, you can't be too careful with Ubi Soft. They're shameless with bullshots and fake videos. Remember them showing off CGI pre-rendered stuff during E3 while the game was playable for everyone to see?

Well, what in these shots do you think is technically unachievable on Wii?

The part where there's actual effort.

Seriously, man, this is Ubi Soft. They are the biggest peddler of shovelware on the Wii. Even with games that aren't on the Wii, they release bullshots and CGI trailers as actual footage. I think they used all CGI for their HAWX commercial or something.

I'm sorry, but I'm just a very cynical person.

The part where there's actual effort.

Seriously, man, this is Ubi Soft. They are the biggest peddler of shovelware on the Wii. Even with games that aren't on the Wii, they release bullshots and CGI trailers as actual footage. I think they used all CGI for their HAWX commercial or something.

I'm sorry, but I'm just a very cynical person.
Or is it just Ubisoft's "leak our pre-production render concepts" month? First Red Steel 2 and BG&E2. Aside from the bullshot up-res and choreographed fights, the other elements look achievable (given the cell shading). In the end, I'm hoping that the animation would at least be as smooth as their "proposed" video would suggest.

Though I understand that reasoning, I don't think the logic pans out. If the theory is everything Ubisoft shows is artificially enhanced over the real game, then we have to expect worse from the game proper. How much worse is there to go?! The model are simplistic! The scenery primitive. The only 'fancy source' is some varied textures and the moblur. A game that looks worse than this will be PS1 quality! Now of course, this may not represent the final game at all whatsoever, in artstyle or anything else, unless it's a cheap marketing ploy. Alternatively perhaps Ubisoft see a huge Wii market and have realised putting in some effort may actually pay off, and this time they are going to use what hardware Wii has, which should be capable of reproducing the game as shown here.

Though I understand that reasoning, I don't think the logic pans out. If the theory is everything Ubisoft shows is artificially enhanced over the real game, then we have to expect worse from the game proper. How much worse is there to go?! The model are simplistic! The scenery primitive. The only 'fancy source' is some varied textures and the moblur. A game that looks worse than this will be PS1 quality!

Hmm think you're going just a little bit over the top there :LOL:

Back