Red Dead Redemption

You know it's rare that I care to get 100% on a game, but I think Red Dead will be one of those games. I'm loving this game and really taking my time to complete it. It's like the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games to me in a way where I don't want it to end. I'm only at 43% completion at the moment, but I keep wasting time playing texas hold 'em and cheating the locals out of their money :)

LOL, I'm the opposite right now. I'm having the hardest time with the gambling mini-games. They will be the last ones I need to complete for me to get 100%. Right now I'm at 95.1% and I have 5 outfits to get, 9 bounty locations & 3 mini-games to complete. I haven't even played one game of multiplayer or the co-op missions. Probably start those after I get 100% on single player. I'm be starting that shortly this evening and I probably won't get much else done the rest of the weekend. Wish me luck!

BTW, here's a great video on the behind the scenes of making the soundtrack...

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/videos/5121

Tommy McClain

I finished up the story missions today (and my single player progress meter was already above the 90% mark, meaning the game successfully side-tracked me all the time). Very cool game indeed. Still, I hope that R* introduces some sort of rpg system into whatever their next game will be. To be a bit more specific: An RPG system that lets me initiate conversations and also ties all the more or less pointless side-activities to the main game in a meaningful way. The game certainly has the typical rpg-ish grinding elements, it just doesn't have the rewards you'd expect with a system like that.
I just find it incredibly frustrating that the only means to interact with such a gorgeous playground is to either kill things or to leave them alone. It's still exactly like GTAIII. It just looks a lot prettier now and finally doesn't play like crap anymore.

Oh, and more than 2 genuinely likeable characters in the next game wouldn't hurt either. Bonny was a great character, and so was Landon Ricket. Everyone else was either an idiot, a psycho, a complete lunatic or all of the 3 combined.

Hey guys, I know a lot of you have probably moved on to more fresher games, but I'm basically just now getting into the multiplayer and I need some help with some achievements. I only have 15 lefts. That's 1 single player, 4 multiplayer & the 10 free co-op DLC achievements. I have not bought the Legends & Killers DLC. Not sure if I ever will. Anyway, this game is the only one I've ever cared about getting the original 1000/1000 gamerscore. If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy McClain

Hey guys, I know a lot of you have probably moved on to more fresher games, but I'm basically just now getting into the multiplayer and I need some help with some achievements. I only have 15 lefts. That's 1 single player, 4 multiplayer & the 10 free co-op DLC achievements. I have not bought the Legends & Killers DLC. Not sure if I ever will. Anyway, this game is the only one I've ever cared about getting the original 1000/1000 gamerscore. If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy McClain

Play some more ;)

Cheating your way to multiplayer achievements is no fun.

LOL. Let me get caught up with my forums & TV shows & I'll take another stab at it. For some odd reason I'm not taking a liking to Halo Reach multiplayer. Yeah, I know I suck, but I guess it just seems like I've already played it before. Nothing really new or exciting. I think I need a long sabbatical from Halo. Hopefully when it returns it will have the Chief again.

Tommy McClain

Undead Nightmare DLC trailer(click here for HD)...

Wow, that actually looked kinda cool. When I first heard about it thought it was out of place for the time & setting, but it might not turn out so bad afterall. :)

Tommy McClain

Still no release date? Are we assuming Halloween until we hear otherwise?

That zombie DLC will count towards my 2400 points of purchases for that "Spend 2400 in October, get 800 back" Microsoft promotion. Sadly I bought the Liars DLC last week and it's still untouched, so I'll need to find something else on which to spend my points.

Still no release date? Are we assuming Halloween until we hear otherwise?

That zombie DLC will count towards my 2400 points of purchases for that "Spend 2400 in October, get 800 back" Microsoft promotion. Sadly I bought the Liars DLC last week and it's still untouched, so I'll need to find something else on which to spend my points.

Not familiar with that promotion. That seems like a great deal. Too bad I just had to buy Claptrap last night instead of waiting until today! I didn't even play it last night. Oh well.

I'm definitely jumping all over this, it looks fantastic. I'm hoping this comes out in time for Halloween, it should come up a few days before actually. Like the 26, so everybody can play it Halloween week in order to get into the mood while we're watching all the horror movies and stuff on TV.

I still think Gearbox blew it big time not getting Dr Zed's Zombie Island out in time for Halloween.

Oh, and some of the still photos have Marsten actually riding a zombie horse, how cool would that be? Zombie Bears? Yowza!

If you want to take advantage of the spend 2400, receive 800, wait until towards the end of October. Deal of the Week has been confirmed to count towards the offer, and it would be galling to have one of your purchases discounted the next week, wouldn't it? ;) If you don't have a Gold membership for DotW, you can currently gamble $1 on the US dashboard for one month's membership, and hope they'll discount something you want. Make sure to remove your credit card details and/or disable auto-renew after joining, though!

Just got done playing through all the missions. Very very fun game. While I got bored with GTA4, it didn't happen during the course of this game. Job well done RockStar. I don't play many games through to completion, so that really speaks volumes to me for how great this game was.

One of the only games I played all the way to the end as well, usually I get 3/4rds of the way through and just completely lose interest.

This game was really very well done.

Just started a second playthrough after a two-month break, and the atmosphere in the game really is striking. There are a lot of small details which really do make a difference, like having a bad guy lean out from behind a rock to take a quick shot, and being able to see where he is by the puff of smoke from his revolver.

I wish the hunting was a bit more useful, but I'm content with it the way it is. Really, I'd probably give this game 8/10 in every department, but because it's so solid across the board, I'd give it 9/10 overall (does that make sense?). It's my game of the year so far, even though ME2 has stolen more hours from me.

Surprised me, as I don't particularly care for Westerns (except for Back to the Future III, of course).

Yes, it's a fantastic game and great fun online too!

Can't wait for the zombie add-on...can't be long now, surely for Halloween?

I heard a rumour earlier today that the Zombie DLC will be out on the 19th (Tuesday).

Some more free DLC has quietly crept out, too - the "Hunting And Trading Pack". Two new costumes and a new animal?
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0ccf0003-0000-4000-8000-00005454082b

I had some problems downloading directly (it complained about my console region), so I added it to my download queue from xbox.com and then checked my Active Downloads on the console. It said it was assigned to another console, but I told it to Download Now and then it downloaded. So... umm... that's what you do if you have trouble! ;)

Rockstar announced official date & price today. October 26 for 800 MS Points on Xbox 360 or $9.99 on PSN.

MTV Gamerblog has a preview...

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/10/14/red-dead-redemption-zombies-preview-undead-nightmare/

Wow, 5-6 hours single player & an announced multiplayer mode? Cool. New weapons are torches, holy water & something called the Blunderbuss which uses zombie body parts as ammo. LOL There's also mythical beasts including the 4 Horses of the Apocalypse. Sounds great. Can't wait to play as John Marston again.

Tommy McClain

Rockstar finally spilled the beans on the multiplayer part of the new DLC. It's called Undead Overrun. Think Horde or Firefight. It looks glorious!!

HD Version

Tommy McClain

Evidently the new Undead Nightmare DLC isn't all zombies. There's also a new multiplayer free roam mode called "Land Grab".

rdrundead_landgrab003.jpg

Land Grab is an action-packed new Multiplayer mode where players fight for control over a section of land in one of seven different towns in the Red Dead Redemption online game world.

To initiate this in Multiplayer Free Roam, visit any one of the seven distinct areas (Armadillo, Blackwater, Chuparosa, Escalera, Las Hermanas, MacFarlane’s Ranch and Thieves Landing) and find the post that says Land Grab. Once the post is activated, a countdown will begin and you will be given control over a radius of territory, displayed on the in-game map. In order to lay claim to the land, you must remain inside the predetermined radius, and defend against any oncoming enemies. Leaving at any time will surrender your claim, as will being killed by another player.

Players can also lose control of their turf if another player is able to sneak into the area and activate the post again, therefore giving them command of the territory. While the land grab is active, players add to the XP pot awarded at the conclusion of the match by taking down other players. Posses are also supported in this new mode, allowing you to work together to protect the claim. Additionally, anytime a member of the land owner's posse is killed, a defender kill XP bonus is added to the pot.

When time is up, the match ends and the XP pot is then divided between all players that held the land at any point during the match, with larger percentages going to the players that held it longest. A minimum of 3 people must be in a session to start a Land Grab, and this mode is only available in Normal and Hardcore Free modes. All players can participate in an active Land Grab, but only players that have the Undead Nightmare Pack can initiate a game.

Sounds cool. A lot like how people claimed land during the Oklahoma Land Run. Yes, I'm an Okie. :D

Tommy McClain

I sold this game as soon as I was done with the campaign....now I feel like an ass.

Well there is a stand alone disc release of Undead Nightmare coming. Doesn't require (or include) RDR but includes all the old and new MP modes, and the DLC.

Back