REAL programmers write code in hex!

I'm a REAL programmer, and I use:

• Hex. I'll decide how things execute, thank you very much.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Assembly. The assembler generally doesn't fuck that up.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • C. Everything else is for dummies.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Sheesh. COBOL is where it's at. Do you have to ask?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I do REAL programming. Fortran, of course.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't try to be a smarty pants! C++ is THE standard. Duh.

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Hey! I use my compiler as the perfect tool! Functional languages are the name of the game.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • User interfaces are where it's at. Give me the best tool for that, like .NET.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Who cares? As long as it's readable and everyone understands the intent.

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Other, please specify:

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
Are you a REAL programmer? Do you like second-guessing and correcting even an assembler by inlining your code directly? Or do you value other things?

Hex is the only answer …
Code:
  int Pos = 0;

buff[Pos++]=0x68;

memmove(&buff[Pos],&dllStringptr,4);
  Pos+=4;

buff[Pos++]=0xFF;
  buff[Pos++]=0x15;

memmove(&buff[Pos],&LoadLibFuncptr,4);
  Pos+=4;

if (strInitFunction != NULL)
  {
      buff[Pos++]=0x68;

memmove(&buff[Pos],&initStringptr,4);
	  Pos+=4;

buff[Pos++]= 0x50; // push eax  

buff[Pos++]=0xFF;
	  buff[Pos++]=0x15;

memmove(&buff[Pos],&GetProcFuncptr,4);
	  Pos+=4;

buff[Pos++] = 0xFF; // call
	  buff[Pos++] = 0xD0; // eax
  }
  else
  {
	  buff[Pos++] = 0x33; //xor
	  buff[Pos++] = 0xC0; //eax
  }

buff[Pos++] = 0xEB; // jmp 0 as stoppoint
  buff[Pos++] = 0xFE;

… for some problems

Heh. Since words always come in multiples of four bits, Hex and binary are functionally identical :)

archie4oz said:
HEX is for pussies... It's all about binary opcodes...

yep. on meters-high piles of punch cards..

i'm a sisy, though, i'd take a mini assembler any day to that : )

One of the frst times I entered the computer club at my university, there was a guy standing in front of a 19" rack flicking binary switches back'n forth. And yes indeed, he was programming the computer, entering binary opcodes straight from the head.

Reeeespect!
:D

My usual languages:
Home stuff C++.
Work stuff C/C++ depending on project and processor, or asm for performance critical DSP stuff.

DemoCoder said:
Real C++ programmers use template metaprogramming and compile time calculation. :)
I very much wonder if these 'real' programmers have some 'real' application for template metaprogramming. ;)

Real programmers write simulators for an imaginary machine, where they could design the byte code, the interfaces, and had to write an OS from scratch in order to run their programs.

Of course ideally all this would run with a pen and a piece of paper.

Nick said:
I very much wonder if these 'real' programmers have some 'real' application for template metaprogramming. ;)

Loop unrolling?(for very small loops it can be a pretty good optimization still today).

C++ for me, usually with peeking at the ASM output and "massaging" the (C++) code if necessary. BTW, it should read "C++ is TEH Standard", IMO. :LOL:

Nick said:
How about forcing component-wise evaluation of vector expressions? :) Just take a look at e.g. the TinyVector class in Blitz++.

mmmh
What about : "Real programmers write designs, the code emerge by itself" ?

The language is irrelevant IMO, use the right one for the right job, depending on the target platform.

C++ is nice but sometimes I wish it would be different, same goes for JAVA, C# and almost any language I tried...

Basic said:
One of the frst times I entered the computer club at my university, there was a guy standing in front of a 19" rack flicking binary switches back'n forth. And yes indeed, he was programming the computer, entering binary opcodes straight from the head.
If it's of any interest, this was my first computer:

cosmac-vip-1.jpg

Not binary, true, but definitely hex. I even upgraded it from .5k to 1.5k with a soldering iron.

Addition! Wow, the CPU in it, the 1802, still surely holds the record as the fastest!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back