Random questions thread

mkillio

Regular
Whats the best way to get rid of that musty damp smell in a basement/"new"house? I turned on a dehumidifier and opened up the windows, anything else besides candles etc.?

My suggestion was serious, water and bleach in a bucket and mop the floor and then uses sponges to clean the walls.

That "musty" smell is mold and bleach will kill it as well as cover up the odor.

If you're lazy just go pick up a bag of them lava rock deodorizers, they work surprisingly well at absorbing odors.

Well, the basement is carpeted, no padding though. I used to tear downey sheets after playing poker, it absorbs the smoke smell really well.

digitalwanderer said:
My suggestion was serious, water and bleach in a bucket and mop the floor and then uses sponges to clean the walls.

That "musty" smell is mold and bleach will kill it as well as cover up the odor.

If you're lazy just go pick up a bag of them lava rock deodorizers, they work surprisingly well at absorbing odors.

/me hugs digi....

you make great housewife...... :LOL:

This is a place that me and two of my buddies are living in for next year and started moving the little things in today but I'm doing the big move on friday/saturday. Will just being down there and living help? Half of the basement is finished, the half that my bedroom is on, it has A/C and heat down there but the rest of teh basement doesn't. I was hoping that the realty company will let me finish the rest of the basement, I'll do it for free as long as they pay for the supplies. (I'm trying to live without cable this summer and I need things to do, plus it will be a good experience for me.

Just being down there and living will help a bit, and you'll get used to it in no time.

I'd still try and clean it as well as ya can. The carpets are probably the source of about 99% of that musty smell, once basement carpet gets flooded it's like that forever unless you steam clean the hell out of it.

You really might want to consider renting a steam cleaner from the local grocery store really quick and doing the rug you can before the big move in...it'll help a LOT and they're pretty cheap.

Just make sure you keep that dehumidifier running, that'll help a lot over time too.

There are also these little canisters of some citrus odor absorbers that I've been using lately that work pretty good, they pull up any extra dog piss moisture left over from mopping for me. (I live such a glamorous life. :rolleyes: )

mkillio said:
Whats the best way to get rid of that musty damp smell in a basement/"new"house? I turned on a dehumidifier and opened up the windows, anything else besides candles etc.?
If you open the windows while dehumidifing you are essentially dehumidifing the whole of earths atmosphere, might take a while...

mkillio said:
This is a place that me and two of my buddies are living in for next year and started moving the little things in today but I'm doing the big move on friday/saturday. Will just being down there and living help? Half of the basement is finished, the half that my bedroom is on, it has A/C and heat down there but the rest of teh basement doesn't. I was hoping that the realty company will let me finish the rest of the basement, I'll do it for free as long as they pay for the supplies. (I'm trying to live without cable this summer and I need things to do, plus it will be a good experience for me.

It will probably make it worse as you will be breathing out warm, moist air which will cause condensation when it hits cold walls/windows. There's not really any subsitute for having a basement properly damp proofed and ventilated.

You can see for yourself how much moisture is in the air from how much your dehumidifier collected and how quickly. Dehumidifiers and heating will help, but it's really treating the symptoms if the problem is the basement is damp.

Well I closed off the basement and closed the windows down there. I should probably call the leasing office and see if they will pay for a steam-vac before I go paying for one.

Back