Racing Game Fans:Is cockpit view your preferred view and why/why not?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by mrcorbo, Sep 25, 2009.

?

Is cockpit view your preferred view? Why/Why not?

1. Yes, always.

27.1%
  2. It depends on the game.

35.4%
  3. No, I prefer XXX view.

37.5%
  1. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I prefer cockpit. Because I want challenge and immersion.

I also take it seriously and want to see how well I could have driven if I was there for real. I want to be able to drive well in "realistic" conditions. And in reality its cockpit view that we have

2. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

For me, the chase cam makes you wait to see the car and then you try to make an adjustment. With the bumper cam, I have an exact idea of where my car is and it allows me to make small adjustments to correct actions before they happen.

3. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

I typically like cockpit view best, but PGR4 made it annoying as some cars like the McClaren seemed really dark. I switched to hood view and the picture was much clearer.

4. macabre

Regular

I use the hood normally if it`s available. If not I take the bumper.In cockpit view I get distracted by the steering animation when it`s not insync with the input or the movement of the car. Exception is GT5p.
    All people I know use the camera behind the car. I only use it in Wipeout because of the shooting.

5. V3

V3
    Veteran

I like to use cockpit or hood. I really like Sega F355 cockpit camera. I think the current cockpit view in racing games need to be moved forward a little bit closer to the hood/windscreen.

Also I think it is easier to drive when you are sitting closer to your TV, like how most arcade units are setup rather than playing several feet away from your TV.

6. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

its all depends on the game.

usually i like the 3rd preson view (from behind and a little from up). but in NFS SHIFT, i prefer the cockpit view.
    on that game, i can drive the car correctly in the cockpit view. on the other game i will just crash. and also the speed also more felt on cockpit view.

but for other racing games i usuallly prefer the 3rd person view

7. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Forza 3's demo track is one of those tracks where I prefer the hood view now to get competitive times (all my times are in the top 500 I think out of an average of 300.000 or more, which is decent I hope). Somehow the cockpit view feels slow. I think it's a combination of seeing more of the road close to you which gives you a better sensation of speed, a better view in a narrow, winding track, and the cockpit view's animations lagging behind your input.

8. thambos

Newcomer

Cockpit view for me.

It's just easier for some reason, likely because the drivers side perspective is emblazoned into my brain from real driving.

the only time i use 3rd person or hood is when the drivers seat is on the right.

9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Can you switch driver sides between people who drive on the right side of the road and weird foreigners? I presume not, which will give Civilised Society a (fair and much needed) handicapping to the Rest of You All in competitive racing

10. RudeCurve

Banned

Me too, though when I want really fast lap times I use behind car view because it's "easier" to see far ahead. I never use bumper cam view because it's so low to the ground that I cannot see very far ahead not to mention HIGHLY unrealistic.

Agreed, if done right the cockpit view is the one for me.

The perfect realism simulator would be 3 screen cockpit view.:cool::wink:

11. holsty101

Regular

I'd say having all your times in the top .16% (if my math is right this time) qualifies as more than decent in my book . Now I wish I still had a x360 so I could see how I stack up ... maybe when GT5 hits? :)

#31 holsty101, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2009
  12. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Prefer cockpit cause it's the most immersive but it depends on the game. Some cockpit views are horrendous. Also, I use a wheel and using a wheel from a third person perspective just feels weird.

13. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

The side the wheel is on is dictated by the origin of the model of car you're driving. Japanese and UK spec cars will have the wheels on the right (wrong :razz:) side.

14. (((interference)))

Veteran

Forza 3 is the first game i've played where I might actually use the cockpit view, as it is very usable. Unlike PGR4 and GT5's cockpit views it shows less of the interior and gives you a better view of the road.

I would have to agree than bumper cam (not hood cam as the reflections on the bonnet make me disorientated) is the best option for setting times though.

15. joker454

Veteran

I always use hood view, don't like cockpit view at all. I can do bumper view as well, but I like the hoods on some of those American v8's :) Chase views are too confusing for me because the view doesn't instantly match my input so it throws me off.

16. Phil

Phil wipEout bastard
    Veteran

Cockpit view, always. It's about the immersion for me really. I could be quicker with a different view, but I prefer to keep it realistic. For the same reasons, I wouldn't want to play a sim with the outside view of the car.

17. ihamoitc2005

Veteran

Cockpitview = Real

Driving behind the car or on bumper cam feels like remote control but cockpit view is like being inside the real car. I am excited for the 3d View from Sony (changes view for your head direction) and Microsoft (Natal has head-tracking, no?).

That and car jittering will feel great.

Also, very large television helps. I even use a 32" as desktop extension for my laptop and it is great.

Also, I prefer more correct view of GT5 and PGR4 to Forza 3 because 1) I have peripheral views which is important for racing and 2) I am not a hunchback person