R520 in May, says Inq

http://theinquirer.net/?article=20896

ATI's R520 to arrive in May

R420s like scenario

By INQUIRER staff: Tuesday 25 January 2005, 08:42
ATI PLANS to introduce its brand new R520 technology exactly a year after it announced its R420. Despite the news that ATI might even be ready with R520 for CeBIT, it seems that the company wants to hold its breath and try to release the silicon in May.

We already said that the R520 taped out and our sources confirm that the chip is in good shape, but then again it's still the first working silicon that it got out of the fab. It takes at least six weeks to get the next revision of silicon. This means that ATI is still on track and will possibly make one more revision before it goes to final production.

Our biggest concern about R520 is its manufacturing process. ATI will build it using a 90 nanometre process and this might be tricky. Shifting to a smaller process is always problematical, not automatical. Remember Nvidia's adventure with the NV30 where it ended up with ill starred consequences and subsequent unavailability? ATI is very optimistic over its decision, however. ATI likes to be more conservative and doesn't like to risk it for a frisket. Just look at its X800 110 nanometre chips, for example.

We know we can expect more than 16 pipelines but ATI still likes to call these 16, "extreme" pipelines. ATI used to say that the R420 had eight extreme pipelines and that resulted in 16 in the X800XT and the world renowned X800XT PE. This time I would expect up to 24 pipes.

Its PS 3.0 part with full 32 floating point precision will definitely give Nvidia a run for its money. Still, we still haven’t seen which playing cards Nvidia is holding. Has it an Ace or a Joker up its sleeve? µ

it's rare that I agree with Inquirer but this time I think they're probably right. or close to it.

is alittle early me thinks.

the "extreme pipes" still wandering around at inq :LOL:

well not to funny it may actually be true this time sort of...or not :?: ;)

If you view "extreme pipelines" as a concept for a cover story then perhaps R520 doesn't have extreme pipelines considering it (apparently) won't be competing with nVidia's nextgen part anyway.

Call up Catalyst Maker, see if he'll hook you up again. Then you can pimp ATI stuff hardcore for another year in return. :)

Is it just me, or are things hella lot quiter than they were around this time last year? Maybe the hype machine's still just revving up, but it sure seems to be a lot less hectic and rumor-ridden round, no?

anaqer said:
Is it just me, or are things hella lot quiter than they were around this time last year? Maybe the hype machine's still just revving up, but it sure seems to be a lot less hectic and rumor-ridden round, no?

I expect things are quieter because a great deal of effort is going into the console chips at the moment. As far as we know R520 isn't going to add much new in the grand scheme of things and NV are rumoured just to be working on a revision of NV40.

To be honest, I also felt that ATI were a bit blase about the release of the X850s and other chips and we didn't get the usual PR onslaught from NV either.

Perhaps I'm just getting jaded. :?

I suppose the slow migration to PCI-E and supply contraints for the high-end chips have also quietened things down somewhat.

Back