R520 benchmarks - Hardware Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, for DrivelHeaven to say

"My suggestion for all our members reading this is to not get too caught up in "previews" clearly based on bitterness from websites out of the loop but to wait until respected sites like Hardocp, Hexus and ourselves bring figures by testing first hand not via other sources."

Respected sites like ourselves ?

This is the site that said about the 512MB X800XL in their conclusion

"When all of this is added together you get what is in our opinion the best gaming card currently available on the market. In terms of performance and value and future proofing there is nothing better than the ATI/Sapphire Radeon X800 XL 512mb…it’s so good that I’ll be using one in my own home gaming system for the foreseeable future."

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/x800_512/conclusion.htm

What, they'd rather have that instead of an X850XT ? No other web sites on the entire web came to that conclusion, most said 512MB was pretty much irrelevent, but then they have always had such a bias it has become a running joke.

I do love it when some sites try to pretend that they are whiter than white when they are snuffling at the same trough as the rest of the piggies.

They even managed to snick in an email between two other parties that is nothing to do with them, but then again, unsurprisingly, they do seem to appear to be a mouthpiece for other people. Or perhaps puppets would be more accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, Sander said that an ATI PR person falsely slandered him previously and because of that ill-will he was cut out of the review HW and press junket loop. Sander also said that the now-public email correspondence with Andrzej was in jest, and both knew it.

I already stuck my foot in this once, and I regret it. So, in the interest of furthering signal, not noise, I'm going to put Sander's numbers on the shelf until the R520 NDA expires (and ignore his first-page rant entirely), at which point I'll revisit these benchmarks.

BTW, Sander, technically R520 will have a higher pixel fillrate than G70, as both have 16 ROPs and R520 is clocked way higher. G70 will apparently have a higher texel fillrate, though. The real question, of course, is which will be faster with shaders and HDR.

Edit: Heh, geo, I know you got my back. BTW, SEP field is looking better and better. :D

Kombatant said:
To defend yourself. Hell, If I was attacked like that, and I had the full email correspondence which would prove my innocence, I would post it. It's an email correspondence, which is business, not personal. So really don't see the problem, honest.

Exactly. These are business emails in the first place, unquestionably. These aren't PMs from a forum somewhere. It's an entirely different paradigm.

The only consideration would be maintaining a relationship, and #1 that went bye-bye by now anyway, and #2, ATI clearly released him from any obligation on that score by doing it first. Unless he had an overarching (one way) NDA with them, he's entirely clean in making the rest of that chain public, and ATI cannot possibly be expecting restraint on that sub-matter now. Indeed, I would expect they already reviewed the entire chain with that in mind.

I've given a deposition under oath (as a third party) in a civil matter where thousands of emails were the primary evidence I was being questioned on. And it took 8 hours of providing context to those emails to do it. Not fun, but their is no question at all that these are business emails, just as the ones I testified about were business emails (bad jokes and actual personal comments included).

Wow I'm gone for a couple of hours, come back and find everything's at least twice as insane as before - missing posts, personal emails - it's craziness!

Law and Order: Beyond3D

xbdestroya said:
Wow I'm gone for a couple of hours, come back and find everything's at least twice as insane as before - missing posts, personal emails - it's craziness!

Law and Order: Beyond3D

Mmm. . .a little more "3rd Forum from the Sun" -ish, actually, if you ask me! :LOL: Except that would imply it is just here, and it so WAY is not --the battle rages over a wide area. . .

Regeneration said:
Simple Logic:

No logical person will threat some major guy in a big corporation unless it's a joke.

And you know this how?

Sander Sassen is the same person that sent a nasty little e-mail to Tom Pabst over the Pentium 3 stability problems that Tom's Hardware reported about years ago.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/200008281/pentiumiii-02.html

Why do I bring this up? Obviouly Sassen likes to shoot his mouth off. Didn't he even modify something in his original article, that Dave B saw and posted (that is now deleted from this board), because he was spouting off again. Clearly he has done it again in his e-mail response when he didn't get what he wanted.

Sander Sassen,
You say you don't have the hardware. You were not present for the tests. You can not tell us anything about the tests or how they were performed. You can not even tell us who performed the tests, if they were actually performed at all. You can not even verify the tests or the results. You even give yourself several excuses for why the numbers may be wrong should your results not match the final results.

My question:
Why would you post obviously damaging benchmarks for a product when you can not verify the results?

Here's a thought, Sander. I'll assume hypothetically for a moment you acted in good faith on the numbers, and that you really do have a "source". Even tho your motives are well beyond "suspect", IMHO. When a range of real numbers come out, and should they turn out significantly different than what you had --you might want to ask some hard questions about what really happened here, and what agenda your "source" had, and why, and what role you were made to play in this in the big picture; and further, depending on the answers to those, what responsibility you have to your "source" vs your responsibility to the community.

Fred da Roza said:
Especially interesting (an excerpt):
Sander Sassen said:
You're mis-informing your audience as well as making your own testing procedures as well as your ethics a joke!

Do you really need all of this 'bashing' and controversy to be able to reach those 20 million hits you're so openly bragging about, if I were you I'd rather have half that and still have my journalistic integrity.

Sorry SS, but that kinda reminds me of something. :rolleyes:

Why? He was convinced there were no problems since his ran great. I think he even apologized later. He was wrong, BFD.

Why did the guy at driverheaven delete the post by the other dutchmen saying he wasn't sander? Can you provide me with what it said since you outright deleted it unlike the other one?

Ryano said:
Why? He was convinced there were no problems since his ran great. I think he even apologized later. He was wrong, BFD.

I think Sunrise was pointing out the irony of Tom double-checking his "testing procedures" and then there was something about journalistic integrity. Oh well.

John Reynolds said:
I think Sunrise was pointing out the irony of Tom double-checking his "testing procedures" and then there was something about journalistic integrity. Oh well.

Yeah, but people thinking Tom was douche was a common theme for a long time.

Sunrise,

I see you Googled, that was an excellent example of why personal emails should remain personal, I did not post Tom's replies, as they were equally often worse than mine. And to be honest the sample I got still runs fine to this date, his didn't, nor did Anand's or Kyle's, but rest assured that if Intel had sent me a coaster I'd have reported that as well. But honestly if you're digging for dirt wouldn't you also be digging up something about ATI, there's plenty around, or are you just here to be a part of the smearing campaign?

Regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Ryano,

Indeed, I sent out a mailer to 700 members of the press, making a public apology for my rant against Tom, that I thought was the most respectful thing to do. So I guess that chapter is closed, I ate humble pie, so please move on.

Regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

I posted this in the Driverheaven thread but I got banned and the post deleted.

Where did firefoxagain's second post on your forums go? The one that said he was another dutchman and not a second account of sander's? Seemed pretty damn legit to me.

Oh and hey.. why did you ban me and delete my post asking that? Why not just answer me? You could "check my subnet" but hey, I don't live in the netherlands so it won't match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back