Questions on LG.Philips new 23" Widescreen LCD

fbg1

Newcomer
The 23" Wide LM230W02 looks like a great monitor. 16:10 ; 1,920 x 1,200 ; 16ms response time. But does anyone know what "Interface: TMDS" means? Is that DVI?

Something tells me Apple's got exclusivity on this one for their upcoming display refresh, but does anyone know of any other manufacturer using it?

You're looking at the raw panel, and TMDS is a signalling standard that you don't need to worry about. There will be electronics (or at the very least, a DVI connector) between the panel and the back of the monitor.

RussSchultz said:
You're looking at the raw panel, and TMDS is a signalling standard that you don't need to worry about. There will be electronics (or at the very least, a DVI connector) between the panel and the back of the monitor.

I realized it was the raw panel, but didn't realize that analog and digital connectors are interchangeable on the same panel. Interesting...

Besides price, I assume one "problem" with products built using this panel is that a single DVI input will not be able to cope with the native resolution at 60Hz. (Correct?)

So this will likely require either dual dvi, or some proprietary connector (which won't be a problem for Apple, of course.)

I just got the Dell FP2001 (which is based on essentially the same panel, but 4:3 / 1600x1200, 20".)

Sweetness.

My CRT days are finally over!

I just picked up that Dell too. In the end, it was the best 20" LCD at the best price I could find. It's my first LCD, so I don't have much of a frame of reference for comparison, but it works. I've noticed though that it's still not fast enough to keep up with the fastest motion scenes. For example, in the Burly Brawl of Matrix Reloaded, there are a few times where it skips frames. But regardless, it's well worth it.

fbg1 said:
For example, in the Burly Brawl of Matrix Reloaded, there are a few times where it skips frames. But regardless, it's well worth it.

??

Hmmm...Sounds more like a problem with the video card / decoding and not the monitor.

Joe DeFuria said:
Hmmm...Sounds more like a problem with the video card / decoding and not the monitor.

It's a brand new ATI AIW 9800Pro connected via DVI. Also, the same scene was smoother on my CRT with my old GeForce 2 GTS. Same mobo, CPU, and RAM. You can see why I assumed it's the monitor, not the vid card. Are you sure it's the card/decoder?

Joe DeFuria said:
I just got the Dell FP2001 (which is based on essentially the same panel, but 4:3 / 1600x1200, 20".)

Sweetness.

That and a V5 6K? I hate you, Joe. :devilish:

Sweetness.

Grrr, I'd like one of those at the US price please! :devilish:

I've just checked and they are 50% more expensive here in the UK than the US. I'll bet US companies can't believe how much money the can make in the UK!

Mariner said:
Grrr, I'd like one of those at the US price please! :devilish:

I've just checked and they are 50% more expensive here in the UK than the US. I'll bet US companies can't believe how much money the can make in the UK!

I believe Dell also had a deal right around Christmas where you could get the LCD for $750 with free shipping. I almost ordered one, but I decided to wait until my 21" CRT burns itself out.

I believe Dell also had a deal right around Christmas where you could get the LCD for $750 with free shipping. I almost ordered one, but I decided to wait until my 21" CRT burns itself out.

Bah! No you're just taunting me! :devilish:

John Reynolds said:

Yes, and I'm absolutely kicking myself for not being aware of that deal until after the fact.

I had been going under the assumption that the Dell wouldn't be available until January, so I wasn't really looking for it. And then in late December (when I actually needed another monitor, because my old 19" CRT went to the wife), I found out the dells were shipping and I missed "the deal." It cost me $900 shipped, which still isn't bad for this monitor, but I lost out on $150. :devilish:

As an aside, one of the "coolest" pieces of hardware I've bought for my new PC is this:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/15179-64195-215155-15202-f25-303640-303642-303643.html

Not only does it look great sitting on the desk (you can pout a picture in it and it looks like some funky picture frame), but I reclaimed a huge amount of desk space by ditching my flat-bed scanner.

Now all I need to do to finalize my new PC is, um, buy the PC itself. ;) CPU / Memory / Motherboard / Power Supply and DVD burner. I'm waiting for the late Jan / Early February Prescott introduction before I get that stuff. (Not sure if I'm getting a prescott yet, but there will be some P4 price drops regardless.) I've pieced together all of the other components over the past month or two.

John Reynolds said:

Yeah, I actually got that deal. There's a forum category over at Anandtech called Hot Deals and I just happened to randomly find it there. You had to buy it from Dell Small Business instead of Dell Home, but it sounded like everyone was just putting some bogus name or even their address in the "Company" line. I'd keep an eye on that Anandtech forum, perhaps Dell will offer the deal again.

fbg1 said:
John Reynolds said:

Yeah, I actually got that deal. There's a forum category over at Anandtech called Hot Deals and I just happened to randomly find it there. You had to buy it from Dell Small Business instead of Dell Home, but it sounded like everyone was just putting some bogus name or even their address in the "Company" line. I'd keep an eye on that <a href="http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=40">Anandtech forum</a>, perhaps Dell will offer the deal again.

You just use you're name as your company name. Nothing wrong with that.

Back