Question about "1080i" HDTVs

Fu3lFr3nzy

Regular
I wanted to connect my computer to our HDTV at home for media purposes, and I just needed to ask about the TV's resolution.

You see, my HDTV falls in the "old" category where the resolutions are 480p/i and "1080i". That 1080i would be upscaled and not native right?

I just needed to know that because if I set my video card to 1980x1080 and my tv in reality can only do 640x480, then I can only assume it would be permanent and disastrous results :cry:

Do you have a CRT then?
If you do then you can do 1080i aka 1920x1080i fine, albiet expect text will be hard to read unless you have a really nice one (dot pitch), video will be fine, which is fine for your needs.
Technically speaking though 1080i and 480i/p only refers to what signals it will accept.
If it is a crt no scaling will happen at all.
Oh and btw you'll set the res for the tv in the driver control panal, you;ll have some choices like 1080i/720p and 480i, obviously choose 1080i.
And you'll be needing a component cable (the one that looks like an rca cable with a cable for red green and blue and stuff) or vga will work aswell if applicable

Do you have a CRT then?
If you do then you can do 1080i aka 1920x1080i fine, albiet expect text will be hard to read unless you have a really nice one (dot pitch), video will be fine, which is fine for your needs.
Technically speaking though 1080i and 480i/p only refers to what signals it will accept.
If it is a crt no scaling will happen at all.
Oh and btw you'll set the res for the tv in the driver control panal, you;ll have some choices like 1080i/720p and 480i, obviously choose 1080i.
And you'll be needing a component cable (the one that looks like an rca cable with a cable for red green and blue and stuff) or vga will work aswell if applicable

Yep, a 60" CRT Made sometime between 2004-2005 :|

Yeah, I remember in my ATI control panel that theres a section for TV's, though I never got to test it because im always busy. I managed to get some component cables 2 months ago, so that part is cleared :D

Eh, just like in any HDTV, they'll give you an option in the menu, as to whether you want "progressive" or "interlaced". Do I have to set it to interlaced first before I configure it in the computer?

Thanks for the help again.

Yep, a 60" CRT Made sometime between 2004-2005 :|

Yeah, I remember in my ATI control panel that theres a section for TV's, though I never got to test it because im always busy. I managed to get some component cables 2 months ago, so that part is cleared :D

Eh, just like in any HDTV, they'll give you an option in the menu, as to whether you want "progressive" or "interlaced". Do I have to set it to interlaced first before I configure it in the computer?

Thanks for the help again.
Ya set it to interlaced, although I have no idea what will happen if you set it to progressive and then set it to 1080i :LOL:
Since it wouldn't make sense...

the ati program is confused :???:

its listing my CRT monitor as 1080p and listing the HDTV as 1024x768 when its supposed to be the other around!!!

I tried switching the settings but it wont let me for some reason, nothing is coming out of the HDTV except for weird colors all over the screen when you enable the unsupported resolution :mad:

the ati program is confused :???:

its listing my CRT monitor as 1080p and listing the HDTV as 1024x768 when its supposed to be the other around!!!

I tried switching the settings but it wont let me for some reason, nothing is coming out of the HDTV except for weird colors all over the screen when you enable the unsupported resolution :mad:
So your connected via component and it's saying that??
With nvidia you simply tick what tv spec you need, 480i, 720p 1080i, not sure how ati does it though?

Just wondering but how are you connecting your computer to the HDTV? What kind of cables?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back