Question about 1080i DVD Players

Fu3lFr3nzy

Regular
I see alot of these both on stores and online, but im confused about something. They always say in the description that its "a" dvd player that upconverts any dvd to 1080i. Ok, I got that, but the next part confuses me because most of them say "thru HDMI" or some just dont say it at all.

The part im confused is that these players have component outputs, so what happens if I use component cables? can the player still upscale the dvd to 1080i or its only possible thru HDMI?

The reason I ask is because I have one of those "old" HDTVs that dont have HDMI inputs and can only do 1080i (aside from 480i ofc) so HDMI is not an option for me :cry:

I think that's a little too general a question. How about some specific make/models you're asking about?

Compliant DVD players aren't supposed to allow upscaling over a component connection (for some bizarre reason), so you won't find recent 'name brand' ones that do. Most that list upscaling over component as a feature disable it when playing back CSS-encrypted content.

However, some of the 'generic' ones ignore this and some players can enable it with remote tricks or firmware hacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back